Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HockeyRef
    replied
    Since we are going down somewhat of a non hockey road as we await tonight's game, I'll say this about Jimmy Carter, the 39th President of the United States. You can say all you want about him...but what you can never take away from him is his great sense of selflessness...all he's done on human rights front, all the homes he's built for Habitat for Humanity, his Nobel Peace prize. He has spent his LIFE in service to others. He has more decency in his pinkie finger than some "politicians" (who shall remain nameless and yes, I can include some Dems in this list).

Anyway, carry on.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them, mon ami. :-)
    I am a dinosaur, but I am a self aware dinosaur.

Follow up to yesterday's the conversation with Mr. Collins, it didn't take long for him to bring up the 2002 FF loss to Maine. Twenty years later, that one still hurts.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by Darius View Post
    The reflection on past presidents, pre moon landing science and my teachers makes me want to roll down the windows on my carbureted vehicle, drive to the office, dictate this post to a secretary who phones it in on a land line so we can read it tomorrow.
    Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them, mon ami. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Not even halfway through the first period at Schneider and already two Black Bears done for the night. So I would counter its more than just a UNH thing.
    Yeah, I saw that. Wow. From among the least penalized teams in D-1 to headhunting goons in just about 7 periods of play. Hard not to conclude that Coach Barr said something recently to get a response, and it appears he did (probably more than he wanted or expected TBF). Quick check of the UMaine thread shows their fans are none too happy with this development, and aren't making excuses about it either.

Not that anyone asked, UNH wins tonight 3-1 because (wait for it) ... MC will be overconfident.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied
    Originally posted by teez View Post
    Had to familiarize myself with how the playoffs work but I'm seeing now that if the season ended today UNH would host BC for a winner advances to the next round game. Needing to beat BC of all teams makes me groan, but feels like a winnable game given how they've looked as of late. Maybe that would send UNH into the next round with some momentum.

So we're rooting for the Terriers this weekend. After the roller coaster that was last weekend I'll be extra curious to see how UNH looks on Saturday night. After looking at the schedule this year I think it's fair to say they perform much better the 2nd night of the weekend. They lay and egg the first night, the defibrillator comes out and they seem to find life the second night.

With only one game this weekend, will they show up for it?
    Well that IS the 'million dollar question' and with it being GAME SHOW NIGHT (whatever THAT is??) I'll take a W over MC for 400 Alex but...UNH has to play from the get go. If we pull a UVM or first night Maine faggetaboutit. Pretty much all there is to it. I don't like our odds, even though we are home, as you said...they typically haven't or don't always play great the first night. It's MC's first game to so...

Here's hoping! Gooo 'Cats!! And yeah, those BU Terriers.

Ps..ATW...keep on rocking

Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-26-2022, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    True to form CHUCK need to get the last word in even when you proved no point. “Didn’t mention the Spanish flu because no one alive then is alive now” sounds pretty unique to me. Plus it was a virus as is this one is and. Viruses don’t follow a playbook.
    Now you're embarrassing yourself. No worries, I'll send you a participation trophy for trying anyway.

Leave a comment:

• teez
    replied
    Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Going to Libbys for the first time in a long time can't wait!! Cool story!!! Let's Go 'Cats!!
    Haven't been in pushing 12 years but I've got some fond memories. Due to get back!

Leave a comment:

• teez
    replied
    Kept meaning to ask...is anyone going to the Frozen Four in Boston?

I missed it back in 2015 and wasn't going to miss it again. Snagged tix awhile back. I'm pumped!

Leave a comment:

• Felger
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

There was some discussion on this on the UMaine thread. Curiously, UMaine has probably shown more discipline this year than in recent seasons, and it's been a point of emphasis, on which many of their fans are quite pleased. There has been a theory floated (to which I tend to agree) that Coach Barr changed his tactics for this weekend, and it appears they caught MS7 and his boys by surprise for sure, and by the time UNH adjusted on Friday, that game was a lost cause. But knowing what to expect for Saturday, the 'Cats were better prepared, and it led to the UNH win.

I mean, let's be honest, if there is a Hockey East program that's had a long-standing reputation for playing a soft game, it's been UNH. So if Coach Barr (or any other HEA program) is looking for a short-term edge, why not go to the well and amp up the physical play, see if it pays off, and (afterwards) rinse and repeat if it worked the first time around? I lay that 100% at the doorstep of the current and past UNH coaches; after all, the term "Mildcats" didn't come out of the ether, there is usually a large grain of truth in any quip that sticks like that, and UMaine/Barr exploited it expertly on Friday. Either MS7 and his guys are going to address the issue quickly and consistently, or it'll become a key part of his successor's to-do list.
    Not even halfway through the first period at Schneider and already two Black Bears done for the night. So I would counter its more than just a UNH thing.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied
    Going to Libbys for the first time in a long time can't wait!! Cool story!!! Let's Go 'Cats!!
    The shirt isn’t finished. A couple walked up and introduced themselves. They have kids, grand kids and in-law kids who were ‘cats. Also met Tim Collins’ (back up goalie 1999-00, 01-02) dad who spoke well of Coach Umile. He was with a guy whose son was a DE on the football team. I definitely need more UNH gear.

Leave a comment:

• After the Whistle
    replied
    True to form CHUCK need to get the last word in even when you proved no point. “Didn’t mention the Spanish flu because no one alive then is alive now” sounds pretty unique to me. Plus it was a virus as is this one is and. Viruses don’t follow a playbook.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied
    Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Currently out of state rocking a simple white UNH t-shirt which started several conversations. The best a woman who opened with “Go Wildcats!” Her husband worked for Libby at Nick’s. Great day to be a Wildcat!

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied
    The reflection on past presidents, pre moon landing science and my teachers makes me want to roll down the windows on my carbureted vehicle, drive to the office, dictate this post to a secretary who phones it in on a land line so we can read it tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Nice job Chuck. That flu actually claimed between 35-100,000 Americans. Most reportly over 65. Thanks
    Same then as now, actually. And most sources I've seen put the US number well over 100,000.

Why life went on as normal during the killer pandemic of 1969 (nypost.com)

I didn't even mention the Spanish Flu (1918-1919) which killed more than all others combined.

Spanish Flu - Symptoms, How It Began & Ended - HISTORY

Didn't mention it because no one alive then is alive now, but it happened (also killed younger folks).

Keep telling yourself how unique this last one has been, 'cuz it isn't ...

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied
    I believe in UNH! I believe in UNH! I believe in UNH! lol
    Currently out of state rocking a simple white UNH t-shirt which started several conversations. The best a woman who opened with “Go Wildcats!” Her husband worked for Libby at Nick’s. Great day to be a Wildcat!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X