Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Swooning maybe about right.

1a, partial or total loss of consciousness
    1b, state of bewilderment or ecstasy, daze, or rapture
    2, state of suspended animation, torpor

So, which sophomore this season will fill the role of Kohei Sato who stepped back to the blue line for a few games during his 2018/19 sophomore season? Sato had 1 goal + 1 assist for 2 total points in each of his first two seasons. So, we need to be looking at a sophomore skater with a similar scoring aptitude. How about Nick Cafarelli?
    My understanding is Cafarelli isn't getting much ice time (when he even dresses) because he hasn't adapted to his regular position at this level; putting him and his underdeveloped two-way game back on the blue line would likely be catastrophic. On the other hand, Sato is a strong skater who did not lack for effort, and showed defensive discipline in his regular forward position.

Scotty Bowman once famously had Sergei Fedorov, an NHL MVP-caliber center iceman, skate for a few months back on the DRW blue line, and he was able to pull it off pretty well. But he was an exceptional skater, and always played a two-way game. Cafarelli has some ways to go to get to the modest level of a Sato, much less Fedorov. That ain't gonna happen ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• They have enough d
      Reid
      Eriksson
      Gagne
      Jensen
      Huard
      Semandel
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• It's no secret that things have indeed changed Whalers! I'd love to see new posters coming in...and, would love to hear from the old guard as well. I hear from people at the 'Whitt who do indeed, lurk, but don't want to get 'into it' so to speak. I wish they would post. People also use social media sources to discuss UNH hockey as well...but I'm not aware of how wide spread that is. Let's face it...if the team were winning like they did in the days so many of you got to witness it would be different. No question how things are going for sure influence the postings etc. I don't read a ton of other threads but would think, seem to think, not many are 'hyping up' games but I could be wrong. We USED to have a game thread on such and such a game...even in my short tenure as a poster here!

So I'm calling out YOU, you UNH lurkers, to get on this board and post! By the way, I still have expectations on the program. Big ones. Not saying I'm not disappointed and want to see much better from this program...but, I'm in it for the long haul at this point. What's gone is gone. I'm just hoping we get something out of this weekend!!

ps. None of these players are walking through that door: Krog, Haydar, etc...those days are loooonnngggg gone. But I AM hopeful for those that ARE. I'm grateful for CHC's blog; following these new players has been a great thing and then seeing them with the jersey finally on. And, bummed for those who do not and we are all well aware who those skaters are...

Pss...Fun former player fact! Potsy was AHL's player for the month. He's tearing it up in Chicago!
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-04-2021, 11:10 AM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• I'm not sure "calling out" the lurkers is a sound strategy, HR? Fear of being put on the spot by one or more of us is what's probably holding them back in the first place, no?? Kinda like kids who sit at the back of the classroom, hoping the teacher won't single them out with a tough question, or try to elicit some contribution the kid isn't comfortable making in public?

Just when you thought you were retired already, Principal Dean WIS calls you into his office, eh? ;-)

I see Poturalski continues down the AHL lifer track so well-trodden by the aforementioned Darren Haydar, who is probably the AHL's all-time leading scorer, and likely has a dozen of those AHL POTM awards dotted among his personal trophy case in his man-cave in Milton ON (or wherever he is residing these days). I found the following article (linked below) which is a good overview of his entire hockey career, and candidly discusses why he is still in the AHL and his hopes to get back to the NHL. After being cut loose by Carolina and then Anaheim last season, he's back with the 'Canes in Chicago as the Wolves' captain, which in and of of itself kind of suggests he's unlikely to be getting the big callup anytime soon. But we'll see how it goes ...

Sullivan: Williamsville’s Andrew Poturalski still grinding for his next shot in the NHL | News 4 Buffalo (wivb.com)
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I'm not sure "calling out" the lurkers is a sound strategy, HR? Fear of being put on the spot by one or more of us is what's probably holding them back in the first place, no?? Kinda like kids who sit at the back of the classroom, hoping the teacher won't single them out with a tough question, or try to elicit some contribution the kid isn't comfortable making in public?

Just when you thought you were retired already, Principal Dean WIS calls you into his office, eh? ;-)

I see Poturalski continues down the AHL lifer track so well-trodden by the aforementioned Darren Haydar, who is probably the AHL's all-time leading scorer, and likely has a dozen of those AHL POTM awards dotted among his personal trophy case in his man-cave in Milton ON (or wherever he is residing these days). I found the following article (linked below) which is a good overview of his entire hockey career, and candidly discusses why he is still in the AHL and his hopes to get back to the NHL. After being cut loose by Carolina and then Anaheim last season, he's back with the 'Canes in Chicago as the Wolves' captain, which in and of of itself kind of suggests he's unlikely to be getting the big callup anytime soon. But we'll see how it goes ...

Sullivan: Williamsville’s Andrew Poturalski still grinding for his next shot in the NHL | News 4 Buffalo (wivb.com)
            Well, using that term is prob alittle strong...and I apologize to the lurkers for using that term. Haha as a teacher the only time I'd use that technique was if the kid was talking while I was teaching...ha! Wouldn't the the first time I was called into the office bwahahaha... I just wish more would post here is all! I read the same article about Pots earlier in the season. Hoping he gets a shot sure seems to do good things wherever he lands...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              They have enough d
              Reid
              Eriksson
              Gagne
              Jensen
              Huard
              Semandel
              Point taken! I'm looking forward to see what they put together...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

My understanding is Cafarelli isn't getting much ice time (when he even dresses) because he hasn't adapted to his regular position at this level; putting him and his underdeveloped two-way game back on the blue line would likely be catastrophic. On the other hand, Sato is a strong skater who did not lack for effort, and showed defensive discipline in his regular forward position.

Scotty Bowman once famously had Sergei Fedorov, an NHL MVP-caliber center iceman, skate for a few months back on the DRW blue line, and he was able to pull it off pretty well. But he was an exceptional skater, and always played a two-way game. Cafarelli has some ways to go to get to the modest level of a Sato, much less Fedorov. That ain't gonna happen ...
                Ok, then, how about Joey Cipolloni? I do not see a Semandel noted by Watcher on the roster posted in CHN. Just lurking along here. :-)

Comment

Ok, then, how about Joey Cipolloni? I do not see a Semandel noted by Watcher on the roster posted in CHN. Just lurking along here. :-)
                  He's right here lurker..

Comment

• HR's predictions for the weekend FWIW dept...

Friday: NU 3 UNH 2 OT
                    Sat: NU 4 UNH 1
                    (love to be wrong on this let's gooo 'Cats!)

Goalie: Friday: Fessenden Sat: Robinson

Comment

• I'm not sure what surprises me more, the fawning over Kohei Sato or the fawning over NU....

I would be mildly surprised if UNH doesn't get points this weekend.

In fact after watching the rest of the league through the first month of the season, (another great OOC performance a couple nights ago) I don't think there is any game that is unwinnable....
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                        I'm not sure what surprises me more, the fawning over Kohei Sato or the fawning over NU....

I would be mildly surprised if UNH doesn't get points this weekend.

In fact after watching the rest of the league through the first month of the season, (another great OOC performance a couple nights ago) I don't think there is any game that is unwinnable....
                        Whoa, whoa, whoa; we are swooning over Kohei Sato, not fawning over Kohei Sato. :-)

But, I agree, the Hounds from Mathews should not be feared, even with a couple of our key blue liners missing. I think that our Cats will win 4-2 tonight, assuming that Fessenden is in net, which should be appreciated by the deserving home crowd. If Robinson in net, forgetaboutit.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa; we are swooning over Kohei Sato, not fawning over Kohei Sato. :-)

But, I agree, the Hounds from Mathews should not be feared, even with a couple of our key blue liners missing. I think that our Cats will win 4-2 tonight, assuming that Fessenden is in net, which should be appreciated by the deserving home crowd. If Robinson in net, forgetaboutit.
                          Well cool beans you guys! Like I said, hope I am wrong. Just thinking of the history as of late but we have beaten them at UNH but in the last years at Matthews think we've only been able to garner a tie. Anyhoo, valid points about the situation in HE this season. Love to be wrong (and I don't like being wrong as you might know... ) As far as the fawning part goes yeah only swooning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post

There are lots of places to look for evidence for how far the program has fallen, but here are a few;

1) The small number and frequency of posters on this UNH thread vs 5 years ago (let alone 10 or 15).
                            2) The average age of said posters (deduced, not officially known), where is the NEXT generation of UNH superfans (and ticket buyers)?
                            3) Very few opposing team posters even bother coming on this thread to talk trash or hype up a game. The ones that do generally ask about places to eat in Durham, or where a UNH fan can eat or park if they are finished raking leaves and have absolutely nothing better to do some night.
                            If it makes you feel any better, the problems you allude to are not limited to UNH. The same things apply across most of college hockey given that GenZ is notoriously indifferent to competitive sports (too busy with gaming/social media/protesting the cause-of-the-month) and look at message boards as something akin to scrawling things on clay tablets. And I have not chirped on your thread since I did a couple of year's worth in person in Belfast a couple of years ago. But seriously, hang in there. College hockey needs all the help it can get.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Game tonight on NESN+ for those who cannot be at the Whitt.

I am compiling a posts per day (PPD) tally for the eight active HEA threads, with the attendant rankings. :-)

Comment

Game tonight on NESN+ for those who cannot be at the Whitt.

I am compiling a posts per day (PPD) tally for the eight active HEA threads, with the attendant rankings. :-)
                                One part of prediction right Fessenden in goal. GO 'Cat's

Comment

Working...
                                X