Boston College hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Update... https://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.b...n-to-wire.html

"I tweeted earlier today that there are three finalist- Leaman, Greg Brown, and Mark Dennehy, but after doing some more digging and talking with more sources, I believe either Nate Leaman or Greg Brown will be the next head coach at Boston College."
    - This is great news if it's really down to Leaman or Brown. If Leaman is a finalist, the alumni must already have the $ lined up

"I believe Greg Brown should be the next head coach at BC. I have put a lot of thought into this (probably more than I probably should have)- and I have come to the conclusion that he has the experience, the knowledge, and the character to be the next head coach"
    - The more Ive thought about it, the more I agree with him. It basically comes down to I have more belief in the unknown and what he's done in the past with BC with Brown than the worries I have with Leaman and what he's done in the past at PC

- I have a lot of concerns about Leaman. He's interviewed with the Senators & Sabres the last couple years. Is the NHL an itch he really needs to scratch? Also, the past 3 years have been really mediocre for Providence, what's happened there? PC hasn't lost anywhere close to what BC has to the NHL with early departures. Also his recruiting has been pretty mediocre recently as well. Is that moreso due to PC being a tough place to recruit to or has he not done a good job with it? Can Leaman change his style of play with a more pure skilled style of BC?
    Last edited by sigx15; 04-28-2022, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Wouldn't surprise me if Leaman leverages yet another raise out of PC, just like Luce did at UConn.

If this HC hire comes before the AD replacement, it could prove to be an awkward hire regardless ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• I think both Leaman and Brown are good fits at BC. JY played a heavy game at BGSU and had 2 very bad seasons before getting the BC job. My concern with Brown is his belief in smaller, puck moving, defenseman. He is first class is every manner and has a reputation as a very good skills coach.

Leaman has done all he can do at PC. BC is the best job in all of eastern hockey. Coming from a Catholic college and being a successful Hockey East head coach, it’s a perfect fit. The head coaching position at BC is funded through a large endowment, money is not an issue.

For AD, Mark Jackson the AD at Villanova is another terrific fit for BC. A local guy who graduated from Xaverian (I think his wife is a BC grad) with a terrific resume! He is far more impressive than Kraft who to me was more of BS artist.

Give me Jackson & Leaman to lead BC.

Go Eagles!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Wouldn't surprise me if Leaman leverages yet another raise out of PC, just like Luce did at UConn.

If this HC hire comes before the AD replacement, it could prove to be an awkward hire regardless ...
          The AD hasn't mattered with regards to BC hockey in 20+ years. That's everything from funding to facilities. The AD has been a formality at every step of the way, why should it be any different now. It might as well be comedic timing the fact Kraft took another job during the coaching search, he wasn't going to have any say in it anyways

Comment

• The style of play/recruiting doesn't concern me about Leaman. There is simply a built in recruiting advantage at BC. That is a fact. A culture change isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Older, heavier teams have done better. Hell, that's the type of team/style Carvel has at UMass. They aren't a high octane, offensive team.

For Greg Brown, the biggest thing I like is possible USHL connections. BC has fallen behind in the USHL. I could get behind keeping Ayers on board but if it's Brown and Ayers I would want a replacement for Buckley. Someone to focus on forwards.

If these are the finalists it will come down to a proven "mercenary" type in Leaman vs. a BC grad who gives off vibes of having same personality as York.

I personally think you just go best guy available and to me that's Leaman.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              The style of play/recruiting doesn't concern me about Leaman. There is simply a built in recruiting advantage at BC. That is a fact. A culture change isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Older, heavier teams have done better. Hell, that's the type of team/style Carvel has at UMass. They aren't a high octane, offensive team.

For Greg Brown, the biggest thing I like is possible USHL connections. BC has fallen behind in the USHL. I could get behind keeping Ayers on board but if it's Brown and Ayers I would want a replacement for Buckley. Someone to focus on forwards.

If these are the finalists it will come down to a proven "mercenary" type in Leaman vs. a BC grad who gives off vibes of having same personality as York.

I personally think you just go best guy available and to me that's Leaman.
              Question: If O'Connor doesn't throw the puck into his own goal in 2015, are we even talking about Leaman here? Isn't he then just a Jesuit Norm Bazin or Jim Madigan, except (unlike those two) he's also still looking for his first HEA Tourney title?

In all fairness to Leaman ... if BC is still considering Dennehy, Leaman is better than him (and Luce).

Switch out a '15 O'Connor for a '99 Michaud, and Umile has a D-1 title, while Leaman's still looking.

I know life doesn't work that way, but sometimes it helps when you get a little luck on your side ...

Comment

Question: If O'Connor doesn't throw the puck into his own goal in 2015, are we even talking about Leaman here? Isn't he then just a Dominican Norm Bazin or Jim Madigan...?
                FYP. Providence isn't a Jesuit institution.

"Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• He did get back to another FF after that one. Bazin just has the one trip despite numerous HE titles. I just look at what Union and Providence were before Nate Leaman. Complete non factors and he helped turn both programs into national contenders without having the recruiting advantages he would have at BC. That is enticing to me. He's a proven commodity. Could Greg Brown turn out to be a great coach? Sure, but there's more risk in picking him.

Comment

Question: If O'Connor doesn't throw the puck into his own goal in 2015, are we even talking about Leaman here? Isn't he then just a Jesuit Norm Bazin or Jim Madigan, except (unlike those two) he's also still looking for his first HEA Tourney title?
                    Too soon!!!! : (
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post

FYP. Providence isn't a Jesuit institution.
                      I thought they were Franciscan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I thought they were Franciscan?
                        Nope, they're Dominican aka Friars. They're pretty similar nowadays to Franciscans but they'll say they're very different

Comment

• Remember, the Dominicans were the enforcers during the inquisition. Very good at racks, thumbscrews, beds of nails, etc. BTW, I went to Dominican elementary and high schools.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            He did get back to another FF after that one. Bazin just has the one trip despite numerous HE titles. I just look at what Union and Providence were before Nate Leaman. Complete non factors and he helped turn both programs into national contenders without having the recruiting advantages he would have at BC. That is enticing to me. He's a proven commodity. Could Greg Brown turn out to be a great coach? Sure, but there's more risk in picking him.
                            As you know, there's a certain young new HC named Ben Barr who can also lay claim to being involved in both of those title runs, PLUS the subsequent UMass Amherst title run.

If O'Connor doesn't get the worst possible case of the dropsies in recent hockey history, Leaman is arguably still in search of his first meaningful piece of hardware (except one RS title, right?). Well behind Umile, Bazin, and arguably Madigan as well.

Having said that, Leaman at Providence is probably not all that different than York was at BGSU, although (again) Leaman lags overall with less conference-level success that York had at BGSU.

Then again, Leaman learned the ropes initially under Walshy at UMaine FWIW ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Remember, the Dominicans were the enforcers during the inquisition. Very good at racks, thumbscrews, beds of nails, etc. BTW, I went to Dominican elementary and high schools.
                              Explains their creepy looking mascot I suppose.

Comment

• Well, if not Leaman...who should BC be taking a run at? Isn't it possible they kicked the tires on Carvel/Bazin as well? I know that hasn't been reported but if you reached out to Leaman it would make sense if you did the same for the other established coaches in Hockey East. Especially since there is no BC connection with Leaman. Totally different than Cav.

Comment

Working...
                                X