No announcement yet.

Boston College hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought the new hoops practice facility was being built now and attached to Conte? Gonna look very different when you visit Conte in the fall. But that's a nice perk for hoops. It doesn't change that you still have 4 teams fighting for game time slots and the ACC will always trump Hockey East. This isn't an immediate need but for everything York has done for the school I think a long term plan for a rink should be the next project once this Hoag Pavillion is completed. Wasn't Jack Parker heavily involved with Agganis? Give Jerry something to do in retirement. I have no doubt he could be a good fundraiser!

Comment

• If you want a young coach AND experience the answer is JD Forrest. That is who I want. No experience in college but I think that's overrated. He's my first choice even if he agrees to just inherit the current assistants for now. Why can't he be BCs David Carle.

Comment

• Because Carle coached in college for nine seasons and recruited the 2017 national championship team.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Because Carle coached in college for nine seasons and recruited the 2017 national championship team.
          And one is a 41 year old head coach in the AHL. Coaching is coaching. Carle has two assistants who were both college head coaches. There's no one way to build a coaching staff. I am fairly confident whoever the coach is will be able to recruit to BC.

Some people are even obsessed with having HC experience which Carle had none. There is no one blueprint.

Comment

• And while Forrest doesn't have college experience, he was involved with the National Development program as an assistant. To me, a good coach is a good coach. You can configure a staff that helps him ease into the position.

Comment

• Greg Brown will be the next coach....and Conte is a dump compared to most facilities.

Comment

• Noooo i was hoping you disappeared from this board

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  And while Forrest doesn't have college experience, he was involved with the National Development program as an assistant. To me, a good coach is a good coach. You can configure a staff that helps him ease into the position.
                  I like Forrest a lot but there's just a massive unknown on whether he can recruit. I think he can based on his demeanor in interviews but there is some added risk in hiring someone like him vs. someone like Cav or Brown who you know who can do it. That said, he's done a lot of work outside of college hockey that should translate to recruiting well like working with the NTDP & coaching the Hlinka team a couple of times. I'm not entirely against it but I'd rather take Cav than him at the moment

Also, as for a new rink vs. a new basketball arena, I think the hockey alumni could raise the money very easily compared to getting the money for a basketball arena. If they had a mission to go out and get $80 million for a new arena, I don't think it'd take much time at all. It took years and years to just scrounge up some dough for a practice facility for basketball, nevermind a new arena. I think it's more of a matter of getting the administration/athletic department on board than anything else

Comment

• The recruiting issue might concern me at a lesser program but I just don't think recruiting to BC will be a problem. I just like the idea of going young with this hire. If they want to commit the resources you could even surround him with proven recruiters.

In recent years BC has gotten the new football facility done as well as the baseball stadium/facility and now hoops practice facility. They have been committing the resources to upgrades. Hopefully York has been pushing for something behind the scenes and it's next in line.

Comment

I thought the new hoops practice facility was being built now and attached to Conte? Gonna look very different when you visit Conte in the fall. But that's a nice perk for hoops. It doesn't change that you still have 4 teams fighting for game time slots and the ACC will always trump Hockey East. This isn't an immediate need but for everything York has done for the school I think a long term plan for a rink should be the next project once this Hoag Pavillion is completed. Wasn't Jack Parker heavily involved with Agganis? Give Jerry something to do in retirement. I have no doubt he could be a good fundraiser!
                      I can't think of two more different personalities than Parker and York. Once you get past the basics that both are locals and contemporaries who turned out to be great college hockey coaches, the similarities are pretty thin. Even the nature of their respective retirements was completely different - one guy probably was long-term planning for it all along at some point, the other guy had it sprung on him a few years earlier than he'd probably hoped or planned.

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of what Coach York thinks and likes, but as an outside observer, he's always struck me as someone not entirely comfortable being in the spotlight. He has chosen this time to retire and walk away. "Keeping him busy" might not be something York is receptive to. If York himself was concerned about "keeping busy", he would just have stayed on as HC, doing what he does best (and loves doing) and I'm sure he'd have been welcome to do so for as long as BC Hockey remained relevant on the national stage. I just can't see York spending his golden years hustling rich alums for donations. It doesn't seem to match his public personality. Parker and Walshy (RIP) would lap that up; York? I doubt it.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I thought the new hoops practice facility was being built now and attached to Conte? Gonna look very different when you visit Conte in the fall. But that's a nice perk for hoops. It doesn't change that you still have 4 teams fighting for game time slots and the ACC will always trump Hockey East. This isn't an immediate need but for everything York has done for the school I think a long term plan for a rink should be the next project once this Hoag Pavillion is completed. Wasn't Jack Parker heavily involved with Agganis? Give Jerry something to do in retirement. I have no doubt he could be a good fundraiser!
                        Could it be a land issue more than a money issue?
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Compare and contrast the USCHO article (released 1st) with CHN's article on Coach York's retirement.
                          You mean how they read like they came basically verbatim from the same BC press release?
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Could it be a land issue more than a money issue?
                            Could be, not sure. I'm sure there are always battles with Newton/Boston and I don't know exactly where a new rink would go. I am encouraged by the other athletics related renovations they have done though. Just hoping a new rink emerges as the next big project.

Comment

• For now we'll have to settle for York Rink at Conte Forum. Hell, rename it York Forum.

Comment

The recruiting issue might concern me at a lesser program but I just don't think recruiting to BC will be a problem. I just like the idea of going young with this hire. If they want to commit the resources you could even surround him with proven recruiters.

In recent years BC has gotten the new football facility done as well as the baseball stadium/facility and now hoops practice facility. They have been committing the resources to upgrades. Hopefully York has been pushing for something behind the scenes and it's next in line.
                                They should build a Women's Hockey facility which doubles as the men's hockey practice rink.
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X