X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UncleRay
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Compare and contrast the USCHO article (released 1st) with CHN's article on Coach York's retirement.
    You mean how they read like they came basically verbatim from the same BC press release?

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    I thought the new hoops practice facility was being built now and attached to Conte? Gonna look very different when you visit Conte in the fall. But that's a nice perk for hoops. It doesn't change that you still have 4 teams fighting for game time slots and the ACC will always trump Hockey East. This isn't an immediate need but for everything York has done for the school I think a long term plan for a rink should be the next project once this Hoag Pavillion is completed. Wasn't Jack Parker heavily involved with Agganis? Give Jerry something to do in retirement. I have no doubt he could be a good fundraiser!
    Could it be a land issue more than a money issue?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    I thought the new hoops practice facility was being built now and attached to Conte? Gonna look very different when you visit Conte in the fall. But that's a nice perk for hoops. It doesn't change that you still have 4 teams fighting for game time slots and the ACC will always trump Hockey East. This isn't an immediate need but for everything York has done for the school I think a long term plan for a rink should be the next project once this Hoag Pavillion is completed. Wasn't Jack Parker heavily involved with Agganis? Give Jerry something to do in retirement. I have no doubt he could be a good fundraiser!
    I can't think of two more different personalities than Parker and York. Once you get past the basics that both are locals and contemporaries who turned out to be great college hockey coaches, the similarities are pretty thin. Even the nature of their respective retirements was completely different - one guy probably was long-term planning for it all along at some point, the other guy had it sprung on him a few years earlier than he'd probably hoped or planned.

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of what Coach York thinks and likes, but as an outside observer, he's always struck me as someone not entirely comfortable being in the spotlight. He has chosen this time to retire and walk away. "Keeping him busy" might not be something York is receptive to. If York himself was concerned about "keeping busy", he would just have stayed on as HC, doing what he does best (and loves doing) and I'm sure he'd have been welcome to do so for as long as BC Hockey remained relevant on the national stage. I just can't see York spending his golden years hustling rich alums for donations. It doesn't seem to match his public personality. Parker and Walshy (RIP) would lap that up; York? I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    The recruiting issue might concern me at a lesser program but I just don't think recruiting to BC will be a problem. I just like the idea of going young with this hire. If they want to commit the resources you could even surround him with proven recruiters.

In recent years BC has gotten the new football facility done as well as the baseball stadium/facility and now hoops practice facility. They have been committing the resources to upgrades. Hopefully York has been pushing for something behind the scenes and it's next in line.

Leave a comment:

• sigx15
    replied
    And while Forrest doesn't have college experience, he was involved with the National Development program as an assistant. To me, a good coach is a good coach. You can configure a staff that helps him ease into the position.
    I like Forrest a lot but there's just a massive unknown on whether he can recruit. I think he can based on his demeanor in interviews but there is some added risk in hiring someone like him vs. someone like Cav or Brown who you know who can do it. That said, he's done a lot of work outside of college hockey that should translate to recruiting well like working with the NTDP & coaching the Hlinka team a couple of times. I'm not entirely against it but I'd rather take Cav than him at the moment

Also, as for a new rink vs. a new basketball arena, I think the hockey alumni could raise the money very easily compared to getting the money for a basketball arena. If they had a mission to go out and get $80 million for a new arena, I don't think it'd take much time at all. It took years and years to just scrounge up some dough for a practice facility for basketball, nevermind a new arena. I think it's more of a matter of getting the administration/athletic department on board than anything else

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Noooo i was hoping you disappeared from this board

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Greg Brown will be the next coach....and Conte is a dump compared to most facilities.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    And while Forrest doesn't have college experience, he was involved with the National Development program as an assistant. To me, a good coach is a good coach. You can configure a staff that helps him ease into the position.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Because Carle coached in college for nine seasons and recruited the 2017 national championship team.
    And one is a 41 year old head coach in the AHL. Coaching is coaching. Carle has two assistants who were both college head coaches. There's no one way to build a coaching staff. I am fairly confident whoever the coach is will be able to recruit to BC.

Some people are even obsessed with having HC experience which Carle had none. There is no one blueprint.

Leave a comment:

• NCAA watcher
    replied
    Because Carle coached in college for nine seasons and recruited the 2017 national championship team.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    If you want a young coach AND experience the answer is JD Forrest. That is who I want. No experience in college but I think that's overrated. He's my first choice even if he agrees to just inherit the current assistants for now. Why can't he be BCs David Carle.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BCeagle
    replied

I have no problem with Conte other than it hosts two hockey teams and two basketball teams. I don't think you'll find many D1 schools doing that. Just looking at the big boys:

Michigan--hockey specific arena and no women's team to compete with
    Denver--built in '99
    North Dakota--plays in a palace
    Wisconsin--opened in '98
    Minnesota--opened in '93
    BU--2005
    UMD--opened in 2010

Conte is fine but there are a lot of teams involved and I think at some point a hockey specific arena where you downgrade to like 5,500-6,000 would be ideal.
    As far as I know I was told by a source the basketball team will have their own venue where the plex used to be.

As far as Conte, I heard they will replace the seats with cushioned ones in the lower level and maybe get rid of the benches in the upper levels, but I don't see BC building a new rink when Conte will do and can be improved without tearing down the whole venue.

They need to upgrade the food / menu in Conte which is minor

As far as coach, I would not mind an ex player like Orpik who is young and has some rings and should be able to relate and connect with young players. His experience is limited as far as coaching but then again so was York when he was a young coach except BC or AD Flynn thought he was not experienced enough and York proved himself @ Clarkson / BG before returning to BC.

Denver has a young coach and just won a title and was a DU player not that long ago.

Ayers in my opinion should not be the next coach, I just don't see anything in his ability to run the a program like BC.
    Last edited by BCeagle; 04-15-2022, 01:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    If it is Cav, that's probably the safest hire. Knows BC, was here for all the national titles and has extensive HC experience now at UConn. It's easy to look at his record and be underwhelmed but I don't think that's fair to him. Before joining Hockey East, UConn was an absolute non factor in Atlantic Hockey. They were almost never a top the league/in contention for NCAA tournament like other programs in that league over the years (Mercyhurst, RIT, Air Force, AIC). He also didn't join the old Hockey East of the Big 4 era (BC, BU, Maine, UNH). A lot easier back then to get your program to be a mid tier team in the league behind those giants. Now he's in a league where UMass, Lowell, Providence and Northeastern are consistently good. He hasn't taken UConn to the level of those programs but he has done a very good job in slowly building UConn up and being there while they worked on getting a new rink done.

Nobody will ever replicate what York did but I think he would do a good job at BC in getting them back amongst the big boys. Or at least regularly in contention. I don't think it would be a homerun hire but I really don't think BC needs a homerun hire. A program that has faded into irrelevancy like Michigan State needs a homerun hire.
    For purely selfish reasons, please know I'm rooting for Luce Canaan to link back up with youze guys ASAP. A "safe" hire, yes. Not a home run hire. Kind of like a "check-swing bloop single to the opposite field, then he gets cut down trying to stretch it into a double" hire. Godspeed, J.D. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• sigx15
    replied

I have no problem with Conte other than it hosts two hockey teams and two basketball teams. I don't think you'll find many D1 schools doing that. Just looking at the big boys:

Michigan--hockey specific arena and no women's team to compete with
    Denver--built in '99
    North Dakota--plays in a palace
    Wisconsin--opened in '98
    Minnesota--opened in '93
    BU--2005
    UMD--opened in 2010

Conte is fine but there are a lot of teams involved and I think at some point a hockey specific arena where you downgrade to like 5,500-6,000 would be ideal.
    This is spot on. There are also countless other who've had full on remodels in the meantime as well. I honestly wouldn't really care about Conte if they had a dedicated practice rink like other schools but they don't. Recruits nowadays expect to be able to get on the ice and skate whenever they want, it's what's available at other schools. BC needs to be able to do the same. My fingers are crossed the Davis family drops a bomb and we get a Warrior/Davis arena soon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X