• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    < hand raised >

Why is Mike Cavanaugh referred to as "Luce"?
    Luce Canaan

It's a long story, but it's quite fitting for the fraudulent little dweeb ...

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    < hand raised >

Why is Mike Cavanaugh referred to as "Luce"?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    I wanted Cav over Brown but the one thing I will fight back on here is the UConn guy saying it was Cav's job if he wanted it. BC was never going to only interview Cav and have him on campus and then immediately offer him the job. Not buying that spin for one second. Greg Brown is still currently coaching. As is someone like JD Forrest. Cav is not Nick Saban. It's not "his job if he wants it" without checking in on other candidates and going through the interview process.
    Totally agree. It also makes you wonder if someone at BC wanted to do Luce a favor, brought him in very early in the process, and then let word leak out that Luce had been to The Heights, so he could leverage the "interest" Umile-style into an improved contract at Storrs? The timing of everything seems more than a little odd. As I said before, I think BC dodged a bullet here. The guy has one (1) winning season - this year, and barely at that - in HEA at UConn, despite years of supposedly top talent and recruiting. One (1) trip to Boston for the tourney. All hat and no cattle, if you ask me. And it's beyond ironic that Luce "pulled a Umile" to leverage the apex of his head coaching career to stay put (possibly forever now?) in HEA's no-man's land. Good luck with that ...

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    I wanted Cav over Brown but the one thing I will fight back on here is the UConn guy saying it was Cav's job if he wanted it. BC was never going to only interview Cav and have him on campus and then immediately offer him the job. Not buying that spin for one second. Greg Brown is still currently coaching. As is someone like JD Forrest. Cav is not Nick Saban. It's not "his job if he wants it" without checking in on other candidates and going through the interview process.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    I'm trying to think of who at BC could retire and feel snubbed that Leahy went to York's event.
    We live in a world filled with emotional hemophiliacs, J.D. - especially in academia, even at BC.

I still suspect it's a decision driven by religious priorities, and what's done is done. I have no doubt whatsoever York knows how much his efforts have been appreciated by Fr. Leahy, who probably made a private call to York to thank him personally.

I also think youze guys dodged a bullet with Luce "doing a Umile" to stay put at UConn ...

Leave a comment:

• sigx15
    replied
    I was afraid something like this was going to happen. You can’t tell me facilities weren’t a huge factor in this. Hopefully it’s a wake up call

https://twitter.com/bchockeyblogger/...c5eNMoTk-hF-bA

https://twitter.com/bchockeyblogger/...c5eNMoTk-hF-bA

https://twitter.com/danielvconnolly/...c5eNMoTk-hF-bA

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Depending on how far Dubuque goes, the announcement could be a bit off in the future
    • First Round: April 25-28.
    • Conference Semifinals: April 29 - May 4.
    • Conference Finals: May 5-12.
    • Clark Cup Final: May 13-25.
    With it "only" being the USHL, how do these things typically work? Would it get out that Brown is the next guy but he still coaches out the rest of the season?

Leave a comment:

• NCAA watcher
    replied
    Depending on how far Dubuque goes, the announcement could be a bit off in the future
    • First Round: April 25-28.
    • Conference Semifinals: April 29 - May 4.
    • Conference Finals: May 5-12.
    • Clark Cup Final: May 13-25.

Leave a comment:

• DNAEagle
    replied
    It is amazing Leahy has been there almost as long as York, and in the world of academics and overall facilities he has done a good job. Not sure what the succession plan is but I am sure they have one.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    I'm trying to think of who at BC could retire and feel snubbed that Leahy went to York's event. There's just a massive gulf. Next in line is probably the lacrosse coach and she's got years ahead of her to try and make her mark on the school. Athletics is part of a university and the school should feel and show the utmost respect and thanks for what York meant to BC. To other coaches/athletes and to the Jesuit "way". That's all. When it comes to Boston College, York is a unicorn.

But it's done with and hopefully everyone is on board in finding the best candidate to take over.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    I already said I wouldn't expect him to attend all the events you mentioned
    Right, I understand ... but then, where do you draw that line? Others might feel "snubbed"?

These are very sensitive times. And while I'd lean towards "screw it, it's York, I'll be there" personally, Fr. Leahy obviously feels differently. I'm just pointing out why that might be the case ...

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    I already said I wouldn't expect him to attend all the events you mentioned

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied
    I don't think it would have been a distraction. There isn't a lot of love for him from BC fans but all he had to do was deliver a few words and then disappear back into obscurity or go work the afternoon mass.
    Respectfully disagree. Yes, he is President of BC, but that doesn't obligate him to attend every last retirement ceremony of every last teacher, coach, or employee on campus. That is what he has his non-clerical full-time staff around to handle. I'm assuming the AD was in attendance, who is York's boss, and if Fr. Leahy sent a representative on his behalf, that's more than sufficient.

You also know well enough that even if Fr. Leahy did make an appearance, there would be some BC alums griping about why York was "snubbed" by Cardinal O'Malley, or even the Pope himself. It's college hockey, folks. Important to us USCHO plebeians, but microscopically insignificant otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    I don't think it would have been a distraction. There isn't a lot of love for him from BC fans but all he had to do was deliver a few words and then disappear back into obscurity or go work the afternoon mass.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    I don't know BC politics, but might Father Leahy* have chosen to not attend to keep the focus on York.
    From what you all are saying, his attendance may have ended up being a distraction.
    Then again, you never know what any Jesuit is up to.

*PS -- Father? Not Monsignor? He's 75 so he's qualified (>65) for the title under Francis. Apparently he hasn't earned it in the eyes of the Church. Ouch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X