Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 2021-2022: Which way are we going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patman
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottK View Post

Given that Opening Night is October 1, I'd say no. The last time Lowell played an exhibition game was 12/29/2019 vs the CCHL All-Stars. The last time they had one to open the season was 10/7/2018 vs Acadia.
    C'mon, somebody needs to play stonehill *evil laugh* I still don't understand how either them or MC went ful D1.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied
    Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
    Does anybody know if there is going to be an exhibition game this season?
    Given that Opening Night is October 1, I'd say no. The last time Lowell played an exhibition game was 12/29/2019 vs the CCHL All-Stars. The last time they had one to open the season was 10/7/2018 vs Acadia.

Leave a comment:

• gochiefs
    replied
    Does anybody know if there is going to be an exhibition game this season?

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

The New Hampshire Fisher Cats are a Blue Jays affiliate and do very well in Manchester, so a non-Red Sox affiliate can work in this area.
    The Red Sox being involved helps but i agree its far from a requirement.

Its clear the UMass system has far more financial maneuverability than the city ever will. I'd love to see a map of what is and isn't in university control and what could be privately developed or sold to. I obviously have no idea of the state of play in Lowell these days but I get the feeling there isn't much left that isn't already privately developed already or university owned. Every right to be wrong, I am basically saying I'd like to be educated on the realities of what's going on along there.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied
    Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
    The makeup of the South Atlantic League leads me to believe the Lowell Spinners might be back in the next years. Some of the teams in the North Division (Hudson Valley, Brooklyn, Aberdeen) are teams from the NY Penn League and still within distance for bus travel. The Southern Division of the SAL League is a different story, but I know the structure of road trips are regulated by MILB to cut down on travel costs. I do not believe the Greenville Drive signed a long term affiliation agreement unlike the Portland Sea Dogs who signed a 20 year deal with the Red Sox. Long term affiliation agreements seems to be the new standard barer in MILB.

I will stand by my theory of a team unaffiliated with the Red Sox, but still MLB affiliated will not to do well in Lowell. So it's either all or nothing...
    The New Hampshire Fisher Cats are a Blue Jays affiliate and do very well in Manchester, so a non-Red Sox affiliate can work in this area.

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied
    Eagle Tribune article.
    https://www.eagletribune.com/news/um...cf2792631.html

Leave a comment:

• Turk_Sanderson
    replied
    The makeup of the South Atlantic League leads me to believe the Lowell Spinners might be back in the next years. Some of the teams in the North Division (Hudson Valley, Brooklyn, Aberdeen) are teams from the NY Penn League and still within distance for bus travel. The Southern Division of the SAL League is a different story, but I know the structure of road trips are regulated by MILB to cut down on travel costs. I do not believe the Greenville Drive signed a long term affiliation agreement unlike the Portland Sea Dogs who signed a 20 year deal with the Red Sox. Long term affiliation agreements seems to be the new standard barer in MILB.

I will stand by my theory of a team unaffiliated with the Red Sox, but still MLB affiliated will not to do well in Lowell. So it's either all or nothing...

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Congratulations to Lowell Alum Terrence Wallin, as the 30-year-old was named Head Coach of the Maine Mariners (ECHL).

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    I wonder if they can build a couple of apartments in left field... just thinking out loud. Very little room back there but I'm trying to think of non-conventional ways to get some more money out of there and the thought was to reinvent the outfield but I know it'd be awfully tight against the river.

Leave a comment:

• Middle Street
    replied
    I would be surprised if pro baseball returned to Lowell. Is that really something the University is interested in? What I can picture is one of the college summer leagues adding a team in Lowell, like the Futures League or NECBL. I had thought the Worcester Bravehearts might consider a move to Lowell once the PawSox moved to Worcester, however they have decided to stay surprisingly.

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied

Hopefully this leads to the University doing some much-needed and long overdue upgrades, like they did after purchasing Tsongas.

Edit: https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/...9124307bf.html

Looks like the University is paying $1 million for the park and spending at least $3 million on improvements.
    Hopefully this works out. Based on the article they'll need to invest a lot more to get a pro team in. It will be interesting to see how they redevelop the East campus between LeLacheur and the Tsongas. UMass Lowell to redevelop East Campus area as mixed-use urban district – Lowell Sun

I wonder what the status is of the practice rink. Just before Covid hit I believe Norm said they had the funding, and they were about to start the bid process. Obviously, the virus through a wrench into those plans. Does anyone have any updates?
    Last edited by boblav1; 07-27-2022, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Hopefully this leads to the University doing some much-needed and long overdue upgrades, like they did after purchasing Tsongas.

Looks like the University is paying $1 million for the park and spending at least $3 million on improvements.
    hopefully the school can make something of this. At least minor league baseball is less of a holding pattern that Quebec City has been in building a stadium and praying for an NHL team.

Now, I don't know how or what, as I said, I'm hoping. Lets see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied
    Mac Cerullo @MacCerullo
    1h
    BREAKING: The Lowell City Council has voted unanimously to authorize a purchase and sale agreement to sell LeLacheur Park, the former home of the Lowell Spinners, to the UMass Building Authority. The park will soon be owned by UMass Lowell. More to come.

Last edited by ScottK; 07-26-2022, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    So I was looking at the fall sports schedules. I realized the school is calling the Field Hockey field the "wicked blue field" on its official schedule. Thought abounded. How much would it cost to get a name on there. Somebody's name, even for a year. I'm thinking maybe the minimum would be $10k. The schools might break even on it with a sign or two. The vanity sounds hilarious but I have better things to do with that much money.

Just thinking out loud. Temporary naming rights would be "fun" but probably expensive.
    Last edited by Patman; 07-23-2022, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied
    The roster has been partially updated on giriverhawks.com for the upcoming season. None of the incoming players are listed yet, but all of the returning ones are on there. There's only 1 number change this year - Gabe Blanchard wore #16 last season, and he has switched to #77 (previously worn by Ron Hainsey). The only other player in program history to wear a number higher than 40 was Kevin Kotyluk, who wore #41 for his junior and senior seasons (2000-01 and 2001-02).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X