Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 2021-2022: Which way are we going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patman View Post

If that's what you take out of this then you misunderstand something. If somebody is better then we should be getting better unless something else is not getting better. What I want to know is "why not progression". I agree that getting rid of bazin would be bad, but I still struggle to see why we aren't making incremental improvement over the years. Maybe its we can never hope to draw players of certain types to Lowell so we're down to the trying to scoop the very top of that limited group every year. I guess that would explain lack of progression because we're already at the top of what we can achieve.

edit: I want to know what progression looks like. Is there progression to be had? Did he show up to campus and that was the only tweak to be had?
    I honestly give up with this group. Good luck finding progression. Go cheer for UVM, plenty of progression to be had
    "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
    make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post

I honestly give up with this group. Good luck finding progression. Go cheer for UVM, plenty of progression to be had
      You're free to find your own school.

All I am saying is "I don't understand". I know this game isn't linear.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
        Seems like I am on an island here, which is fine. I feel incredibly optimistic about this team, the programs approach and play on the ice.
        I am with you. I have read for years that the team does not have the draft picks and the "talent" yet they are
        almost always in the top half or better in Hockey East. Not every team can say that.

What did you say?
        Who own the Chiefs?
        What did he say?
        Owns! Owns!

Comment

• Originally posted by gochiefs View Post

I am with you. I have read for years that the team does not have the draft picks and the "talent" yet they are
          almost always in the top half or better in Hockey East. Not every team can say that.
          I think the thing that frustrates most fans is Lowell has had really good success over the last decade plus, but it either hasn't been enough to lure some of the higher skilled players in, or the program doesn't go after them. All those trips to the Garden, winning Hockey East Championships, making it to Regional Finals, a Frozen Four... you'd think that would be a selling point to get the players here, but it hasn't in most cases. Why does Lowell have so few recruits in the pipeline for the next few years? On the ice, I don't think there are many complaints, but if there's to be this "progression" you need to start stocking the pipeline with talented players.

Comment

• Thanks for your post bottomdweller. You said it very succinctly, better than my last two posts. It's not that we are not competitive, but rather where we would be if we recruited better skilled players which based on the programs' past and recent success seems like a no brainer . Now we can say that we only lost 1-0 to UMass in the HE championship game two years ago, but in that game we could never generate any sustained offensive pressure and for me, watching that game, I was never confident we could muster a comeback. Same with last years' 3-1 loss to UMass in the semis, out skilled and out played.....once down we were out. Ditto for Denver in the NCAA's. Close but no cigar, nice hard working team.....but lacking top skating/speed, passing, puck handling and the ability to get open shots that are not blocked or shot right into the defenseman's feet, plus lacking that killer instinct to close out games.

For me the whole season last year was tough to watch, so many 1 goal wins where we could never put the other team away, allowing teams to make it closer than it should have been, and forgettable loses to Long Island, Merrimack (twice) and UNH. I think we will be middle of the pack this year in HE, probably 7th behind BC, BU, Northeastern, UMass, Providence and Merrimack, (in no particular order of finish) slightly ahead of UConn, UNH and Maine (hopefully). Let's not become Vermont!!!!! And having 6 recruits in the pipeline is strange and points to something wrong with the program in my eyes. Who is in charge of recruiting? Anyone?

Comment

• UNH at least had the party school factor in their advantage. Maine was able to do a lot despite being in Maine. Maybe its a different world.

Reviewing some of the other posts. I do not want Bazin gone, I think he's our best option. I am more than willing to claim other factors are involved. If you had to put it to me I think none of the eastern schools are truly getting the talent anymore and that's the real reason. I think this program under Bazin other than a couple of years produces results and that should attract talent. But it isn't. But I'd also want the opinion of others and their view on the world.

Since I don't exactly get to the arena much any more this is the closest I'll get.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

• Mike Machnik @MikeMachnikCHN 2022-23 @hockey_east

Writers & Broadcasters Association Media Poll:
                1. Northeastern (7) 117
                2. Massachusetts (3) 96
                3. Providence 87
                4. Connecticut 86
                5. BU (1) 85
                6. Massachusetts-Lowell 73
                7. BC 63
                8. Merrimack 51
                9. Vermont 24
                10. New Hampshire 23
                11. Maine 21

HEWBA Pre-season All @hockey_east Team:
                F Brett Berard (Jr., Providence)
                F Aidan McDonough (Sr., Northeastern)
                F Ryan Tverberg (Jr., Connecticut)
                D Domenick Fensore (Sr., Boston University)
                D Scott Morrow (So., Massachusetts)
                G Devon Levi (Jr., Northeastern)

Time for a new thread?

Comment

• The Hawks are picked to finish 5th, tied with BC, in the Coaches poll. It should be an interesting season.

Northeastern Picked to Top Hockey East Men's League - Hockey East Association (hockeyeastonline.com)

Joe Bertagna Named 2022 Joe Concannon Award Winner - Hockey East Association (hockeyeastonline.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    Time for a new thread?
                    Close enough, maybe you should spin this one up? I have no narrative to start the next season up.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

• I don't know if there any fans of the Survivor television show out there. You may want to take a look. It was announced that Noelle Lambert, the field hockey team member who was involved in the terrible accident on the Cape a few years back and lost her legs, is a contestant on season 43 of the show that starts on Wednesday the 21st.

Comment

• Lowell ranked #17 in the USCHO Preseason Poll, #16 in the USA Today Poll. Just like in the Hockey East Poll, they're the fifth highest Hockey East team.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                        X