Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 2021-2022: Which way are we going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me, or has Lowell taken more majors this year than most I remember? It feels like I'm seeing a major every other game (yes, I know that's not factual).

Currently 12th in the Pairwise, but a couple of stats still scare me about this team.

32nd in the nation in GPG, but 4th in GAPG. 10th in the nation in PP%, which again ... just doesn't seem that way when you're watching, so this is much higher than I had expected us to be.

That first stat is about where I expected. Can we keep up the numbers on the other two though?

One that does need to get a bit better, especially if we're going to continue struggling offensively, Lowell is 26th in killing penalties.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
      St Lawrence posts their highlights on YouTube but does not show anything else. So frustrating to see schools do that.
      Lowell always shows all the goals in their highlights of the game.
      I agree, that's frustrating. Thankfully the UML hockey twitter account has been regularly posting each goal highlight throughout the game.

#1-Korencik
      https://twitter.com/RiverHawkHockey/...857942017?s=20

#2-Berglund
      https://twitter.com/RiverHawkHockey/...695068672?s=20

#3-Austin
      https://twitter.com/RiverHawkHockey/...914663942?s=20

Interesting camera angles for those first two.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        Is it me, or has Lowell taken more majors this year than most I remember?
        I thought the same thing last night. It feels like they happen in the 3rd in a close game too.

One that does need to get a bit better, especially if we're going to continue struggling offensively, Lowell is 26th in killing penalties.
        This already has gotten way better. Bob said on the radio broadcast last night that if you exclude the first three games where Lowell gave up 9 PPG, they have a PK in the 90% range. He said this in the 2nd period as well, so the percentage would have gotten even better.

I think special teams is a big strength for Lowell. I've heard Norm say in interviews several times over the years he likes the combined percentage to be 105, and right now they are at 109. So yeah, the numbers on either end are likely to go down some. I'm thinking especially the PP one will trend closer to 20%.

The offense overall is still a big concern for me. I do take comfort in seeing Minn-Duluth directly above Lowell in the GPG ranking. They have more margin for error than Lowell does in terms of the making the national tournament. Hopefully the offense is good enough to finish with a very good out of conference record. Especially given the weaker opponents on the schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          Is it me, or has Lowell taken more majors this year than most I remember? It feels like I'm seeing a major every other game (yes, I know that's not factual).
          Lowell has taken 4 majors in 17 games this season, which doesn't sound like a lot until you compare to the rest of Hockey East:

BC 4
          Vermont 3
          Northeastern 3
          UMass 2
          Maine 2
          UNH 2
          BU 1
          PC 1
          Merrimack 1
          UConn 0
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Found it interesting that Lowell's Chancellor and Head Hockey Coach both made more than their counterparts at the "Flagship."
            Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Anyone going to Bentley? Their new Arena is a great place to watch hockey.
              "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
              make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
                Anyone going to Bentley? Their new Arena is a great place to watch hockey.
                Both games with Bentley postponed until a later date
                What did you say?
                Who own the Chiefs?
                What did he say?
                Owns! Owns!

Comment

Ugh, just saw the email.
                  "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
                  make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

any word on whose end? Omicron is going to be a mess until it runs through the population. Obviously I have my stance. If too many players are sick to play that I understand, anything else I'm sure I'd have an intense discussion on the basis of what we believe about Omicron variant.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post

any word on whose end? Omicron is going to be a mess until it runs through the population. Obviously I have my stance. If too many players are sick to play that I understand, anything else I'm sure I'd have an intense discussion on the basis of what we believe about Omicron variant.
                      From the UML email announcement.

both the Wednesday home game at the Tsongas Center and Saturday road game at Bentley have been postponed due to protocols within the program. The teams are working on rescheduling the dates and more information will be provided as those dates are confirmed.
                      What did you say?
                      Who own the Chiefs?
                      What did he say?
                      Owns! Owns!

Comment

• Matt Crasa named Hockey East Rookie of the Month and Owen Savory was runner-up for Goalie of the Month.

https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/art...-the-month.php
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

From the UML email announcement.

both the Wednesday home game at the Tsongas Center and Saturday road game at Bentley have been postponed due to protocols within the program. The teams are working on rescheduling the dates and more information will be provided as those dates are confirmed.
                          At least it's just a postponement and not a cancelation. A couple of good showings against Bentley would help in the pairwise since they are leading Atlantic Hockey.

Comment

• Do both games against Maine this weekend count in Hockey East standings? I hope we're not rusty after only one game played in the last month!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                              Do both games against Maine this weekend count in Hockey East standings? I hope we're not rusty after only one game played in the last month!
                              Yes, both league games. And yes, there's a worry to the lack of games.
                              Monty

Comment

• Midseason look down the road, does ten more wins put UML in the tourney? Looks doable, especially if they get past the first round in the HE tourney.

Comment

Working...
                                X