Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 2021-2022: Which way are we going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMLFan
    replied
    This keeps changing, but as of today, three changes from the last list I put out. McDonald back, Schulting transfer out and Savory looking to go pro:

22/23 roster

Defense (8):
    Seniors: Marek Korencik, Jon McDonald
    Juniors: Brandon Engum, Ben Meehan
    Sophomore: Gabe Blanchard, Isac Jonsson
    Freshmen: Ben Brunette, T.J. Schweighardt

Forwards (20):
    Seniors: Carl Berglund, Ryan Brushett, Brian Chambers, Zach Kaiser, Josh Latta, Blake Wells
    Juniors: Matt Allen, Andranik Armstrong-Kingkade, Jackson Sterrett, Filip Forn?? Svensson
    Sophomores: Owen Cole, Matt Crasa, Stefan Owens
    Freshmen: Dillan Bentley, Jack Collins, Owen Fowler, Nick Rheaume, Roc Truman, Scout Truman, Jan Vaarverk

Goalies (2):
    Senior:
    Junior: Henry Welsch
    Sophomore: Edvard Nordlund
    Freshman:

This leaves us at 30 on the roster, with the class breakdown being:
    Seniors: 8
    Juniors: 7
    Sophomores: 6
    Freshmen: 9

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Patman View Post

UML's twitter is teasing condotta to les habs... we'll see if that converts. I assume it will.
    Condotta Inks Contract With Montreal Canadiens - UMass Lowell Athletics (goriverhawks.com)

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    No kidding. We've been running high on organic home attendance for quite awhile and certainly prior to COVID. It ain't like the old days.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied
    Originally posted by BC/HE View Post

The way it is, is that Lowell assuredly leads the league in attendance of opposing teams fans. You certainly must notice that. Don't get me wrong. I think that is fabulous and something Lowell should be proud of.
    You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Lowell drew 5782 for the playoff game this year. If more than 200 of those fans were Merrimack fans, I'd be shocked. The same for the 5400+ they had for a Merrimack game earlier in the season. How many of the 5000+ do you think were UConn fans the Saturday before Thanksgiving? You really think UConn has that many fans? (Hint: they don't - only 3000 showed up the next day in Hartford for the 2nd game). A sellout vs UMass early in the season on a Friday night, the next night in Amherst, with a building that seats 1500+ more than Tsongas, and attendance is 800 less. Please, keep telling me how it's only visiting fans that inflate Lowell's attendance, and have been doing so for the last decade.

Leave a comment:

• BC/HE
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottK View Post

When you lead the league or finish 2nd in the league in attendance every year since 2015, it's not an "anomaly."
    The way it is, is that Lowell assuredly leads the league in attendance of opposing teams fans. You certainly must notice that. Don't get me wrong. I think that is fabulous and something Lowell should be proud of.

Leave a comment:

• hawkeytown
    replied
    Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    I'm pretty excited about a few of the forwards in the incoming class. I've not felt that way for a while.
    I have the same feeling. Plus the transfer from Sweden looks promising.

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Defensive depth is even more of a worry now, as Jordan Schulting is in the portal.

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post

Norm needs to try to find another CJ Smith or Scott Wilson. Someone who can put the puck in the net when they need it. You can have your core blue collar guys, but you're going to need to find a pure scorer or two to put you over the top.
    I'm pretty excited about a few of the forwards in the incoming class. I've not felt that way for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottK View Post

Per Barry Scanlon's tweet, Savory and Condotta are looking to go pro, but Jon McDonald will be back for a 5th season. No word yet on the other seniors (Stefanson and Knoblauch)
    UML's twitter is teasing condotta to les habs... we'll see if that converts. I assume it will.

Leave a comment:

• bottomdweller
    replied
    That 2013-2014 team also had a couple of phenomenal goalies (including a Vezina winner), a 6 season NHL defenseman in Folin, a forward (Wilson) who played in the NHL for six years, and a lot better all around talent overall. This team was good, but there was a reason they were picked 7th in the preseason. I'd expect them to be close to the Top 4 in next year's preseason poll, depending on departures or transfers that might take place from this point on.
    Norm needs to try to find another CJ Smith or Scott Wilson. Someone who can put the puck in the net when they need it. You can have your core blue collar guys, but you're going to need to find a pure scorer or two to put you over the top.

Leave a comment:

• umlhockey22490
    replied
    Albie out at bu...wonder if matt brown goes in the portal again lol

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Patman View Post

honestly, over-extending last year to make things "fair" just made things a mess. I get it when a program shuts down for a year. hell, maybe even partial "losers" like Savory who sat half a year at RPI. However, wholesale?! Nah. Not something I'd do, we lie and say we can make the world fair. And our 2021 season certain was harmed by COVID.

That being said, would love to see Savory come back, but I don't blame him for wanting to go pro... schollie existing or not (I don't know what the school has offered to him one way or another).

--------

My next observation is probably not fair because these were mostly scoring plays but I saw some of the highlights of 2013 et al promoted to me and those teams seemed so much more sharp. I feel like Bazin is getting what he can out of these guys but I miss having these sharp players. Maybe I'm missing out when they looked like crap, I don't know.

the ability to control the puck, i feel like our current system is design around the idea we can't stop a beachball when passed in one direction.
    That 2013-2014 team also had a couple of phenomenal goalies (including a Vezina winner), a 6 season NHL defenseman in Folin, a forward (Wilson) who played in the NHL for six years, and a lot better all around talent overall. This team was good, but there was a reason they were picked 7th in the preseason. I'd expect them to be close to the Top 4 in next year's preseason poll, depending on departures or transfers that might take place from this point on.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    Well that helps explain a lot. Thanks.
    honestly, over-extending last year to make things "fair" just made things a mess. I get it when a program shuts down for a year. hell, maybe even partial "losers" like Savory who sat half a year at RPI. However, wholesale?! Nah. Not something I'd do, we lie and say we can make the world fair. And our 2021 season certain was harmed by COVID.

That being said, would love to see Savory come back, but I don't blame him for wanting to go pro... schollie existing or not (I don't know what the school has offered to him one way or another).

--------

My next observation is probably not fair because these were mostly scoring plays but I saw some of the highlights of 2013 et al promoted to me and those teams seemed so much more sharp. I feel like Bazin is getting what he can out of these guys but I miss having these sharp players. Maybe I'm missing out when they looked like crap, I don't know.

the ability to control the puck, i feel like our current system is design around the idea we can't stop a beachball when passed in one direction.
    Last edited by Patman; 03-30-2022, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Well that helps explain a lot. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied
    It's amazing to me to see some of the schools with 5 or more players in the portal.
    From Mike McMahon:

One quick transfer portal note. Last year, teams were allowed to go over the 18 scholarship maximum in order to retain their own fifth-year seniors. But, that was only allowed for one year. Moving forward, if schools want to bring back fifth-year seniors their scholarships will count towards the maximum of 18. That's why many of the names in the transfer portal are graduating seniors who were probably told they didn't have a spot (at least not a scholarship spot) with their former team and are looking for another opportunity to use their fifth year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X