Friar Hockey 21-22 - Reach for the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
    , these guys are not going anywhere this year.
    Difficult to avoid this conclusion. They played their way out of contention for the conference last month, they're playing their way out of contention for home ice and the NCAAs in February.
    This is the third season in a row where this has happened.
    Last edited by Jon; 02-11-2022, 10:43 AM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Difficult to avoid this conclusion. They played their way out of contention for the conference last month, they're playing their way out of contention for home ice and the NCAAs in February.
      This is the third season in a row where this has happened.
      BORING TEAM TOO...there is nothing interesting watching them play.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

They were interesting when they were making miracle comebacks against Denver, Princeton, Dartmouth, and UVM. Right now? Not so much. They had a good game at BC and gut check wins at UMASS and at home against UVM, but the last few months have been forgettable. Blowing that lead to Wisconsin in December seems to have been a bigger moment than any of us anticipated.

The good news is Hockey East is still a complete mess. UML getting shutout by UNH was particularly bizarre. I don't think anyone is stopping BU right now, but they spent so much time scuffling at the beginning of the season, that we face the very real prospect of just one Hockey East team making it to the NCAAs (UMASS). PC, UML, BU, UCONN, and NU are just hanging around the 14-19th area of the pairwise.
        PC should get swept by UML and maybe get a win or two at home against Maine, but the way this season is going, who knows?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Over the last three seasons, Providence is a .500 team in Hockey East play. Not a good look for a program that was in the Frozen Four in 2019.
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            Over the last three seasons, Providence is a .500 team in Hockey East play. Not a good look for a program that was in the Frozen Four in 2019.
            Can't deny that, the record is what it is. And I think even the Maine weekend will be difficult. Did anyone ever think Merrimack would be sitting near the top of the standings and BC/PC near the bottom, Crazy

Comment

PC was a extended video review away from maybe coming up with more than 3 points this weekend. I love watching the games with the sound off because both UML and PC had goals waived off on Friday night and I was never able to figure out why.

-Blackadder
              -Casablanca
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                PC was a extended video review away from maybe coming up with more than 3 points this weekend. I love watching the games with the sound off because both UML and PC had goals waived off on Friday night and I was never able to figure out why.
                I had to turn the sound off on the UML announcers Friday...UML could do nothing wrong according to them...Enjoy Mike Logan because he tells it straight.

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post

I had to turn the sound off on the UML announcers Friday...UML could do nothing wrong according to them...Enjoy Mike Logan because he tells it straight.
                  Mike Logan is great and not just because he occasionally posts here.
                  I love UML's play by play man (UMASS, Merrimack, and Northeaster are pretty great too. Bernie Corbett at BU is the best) but you could tell that they were frustrated by UML's lack of consistency at this point of the season which is why they were complaining about penalties more than usual.

-Blackadder
                  -Casablanca
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

What, if anything, can we expect from a weekend against the Alternator Thieves (there's a callback to 2003 for everyone!) ? The read on Maine is that they play very very hard which is the kind of thing that scares me right now.

-Blackadder
                    -Casablanca
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      What, if anything, can we expect from a weekend against the Alternator Thieves (there's a callback to 2003 for everyone!) ? The read on Maine is that they play very very hard which is the kind of thing that scares me right now.
                      How about not one but 2 5 minute major/game disqualifications contact to the head in the first 10 minutes by the Alternator Theives..unfortunately the Friars only scored one goal during those penalties and also lost 2 minutes of PP on the second major when PC took a minor penalty. Scored late in the second 5 minute to make it 1-0, Berard with the goal. Duran adds a goal later in the period to make it 2-0 after one.

The big Swede goalie for Maine was immense in this game. (they must grow big goalies on trees in Sweden it seems). Both teams scored in the second period 3-1 after 2. Shots on goal after 2 were PC 34 Maine 9.

PC on a shorty by Yoder made it 4-1 (was that the first shorty for them this year?). Maine scored late on the PP to close the gap to 4-2 and that's how it ended. Final shots on goal were PC 43 Maine 13.

Short turnaround today with a 4pm start. Maine will have their 2 forwards that were tossed last night back for this one. Guess the Swede will be back in net.

BTW, not sure anyone saw this, but Bruins made a trade with Arizona for the rights to Callahan.

Friars look to be locked into the 7th seed, playing March 9th at Schneider, could end up playing Maine again.

Comment

• Well that'll do it for good ol' PK until next season. Steve and Paul out in search of West and East.
                        Living somewhere between North and South.

Comment

• Nice comeback victory on Saturday afternoon. Really thought they were done when the power play sputtered in the first two periods, happy to be wrong.

-Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• So the Catamounts are coming back to Providence on Wednesday. And it looks like one of PCs best players Poisson will have to sit this one out after getting into a fight in the USA 18 game on Friday, at least that's what Divver tweeted.

Northeastern takes the regular season champ title, watch out for them as it looks like they are fully healthy now and with the best goalie in the league.

BC seems to have turned a corner lately, could they make things interesting in the playoffs?

Last edited by 73PCFriar; 03-06-2022, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• CHN currently giving the Friars only a 9% chance of making it to the NCAA tournament: Pairwise Probability Matrix : College Hockey News

Comment

• Originally posted by uncle_cliff View Post
                                CHN currently giving the Friars only a 9% chance of making it to the NCAA tournament: Pairwise Probability Matrix : College Hockey News
                                Hockey East Tourney winner or bust now....

Comment

Working...
                                X