Union College: 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union College: 2021-2022

This is the Union College "Dutchmen" hockey thread for 2021-2022. We have 31 players on the roster as of 09/30/2021. There are Four Senior Defensemen and a Senior Forward. It is unclear what overall talent we have this year. Given all the transfers, the success of the team may be a big challenge for the coaching staff. Here is hoping we can fill the stands again and be respectable. Colgate, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and Qpac all have the benefit of some play last year. We have a very tough non-conference schedule.
    Tags: None
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Exhibition Game vs RPI this Saturday at 4:00 - Mesa Rink. "PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, masks will be required in all indoor facilities at Union, including Messa Rink, regardless of vaccination status."
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

The roster is finally out. Looks like 5 seniors, (4 defensemen, and one forward), 10 Juniors, 8 Sophomores, and 8 Freshmen. Total 31. Not particularly big or small. No recognizable scoring punch. If the new goalie transfer from Northeastern works out, we could be a respectable defensive-orientated team. Because of Covid lots of unknowns going into the year. https://unionathletics.com/sports/me...-hockey/roster I see us starting out really bad to start, and then just being so so bad as the season progresses. With our politically correct new president, it will be back to mediocrity for the Dutchmen as 2013 fades into memory.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

No visual or play by play so hard to ascertain exhibition play. We are picked by coaches and media to finish near the bottom. Should get a better sense when they square off against UNH next week. Fotballwon their 5th straight but all against very weak teams. They now face St Lawrence, Hobart, and Ithaca with a combined record of 11-1, and Hobart and Ithaca are both ranked. They have not been overpowering or dominating weak teams and the stats tell us the contests may be closer than the scores show.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

We used three different goalies in our scrimmage with RPI. Will be interesting to see how Coach develops this year's team.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Nine of our starters are playing their first career game. The UNH rink is packed.
            Last edited by Dutchman; 10-08-2021, 08:33 PM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

We were outshot 49-11. I guess that says it all. It's going to be a long season.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

The ECAC Pick The Standings contest is back! Make sure to get your picks in before the league schedule kicks off next weekend.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Thank God for Connor Murphy. He has kept us in games and prevented blowouts. Interesting to hear the announcers from LSSU talk about Union. They remarked several times about the surprising weak puck handling ability of the Union Players. It's going to be a long season. Definitely a rebuilding year. I moved us to finish 11th. The top 8 teams in the ECAC seem as strong or improved from two years ago. Could be a good year for ECAC.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Thank God for Connor Murphy. He has kept us in games and prevented blowouts. Interesting to hear the announcers from LSSU talk about Union. They remarked several times about the surprising weak puck handling ability of the Union Players. It's going to be a long season. Definitely a rebuilding year. I moved us to finish 11th. The top 8 teams in the ECAC seem as strong or improved from two years ago. Could be a good year for ECAC.
                    Just noticed you guys have 4 (!) goalies on the roster and none of them is a Senior. I guess that's COVID for you.

Comment

Our guys messed up my picks for the week, which makes me happy. Where's all the chatter? Things aren't that bad.

Comment

It's been quiet. Nice win against Colgate. We are playing with enthusiasm.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Connor Murphy looked very good at Colgate last night. Colgate 33, Union 25, final SOG. Matt Verboon had two wicked shots on Power Play and Murphy stopped him cold both times.
                          Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-14-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

He is keeping us respectable and capable of stealing one every now and then.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

When the ECAC season began it looked to be easy to interpret preseason predictions and determine who the top 4 and bottom 4 teams might be. While the top 4 are still easy to predict, it's not clear how the rest of the league standings will shake out. The bottom 8 are up for grabs. Does anyone know what is happening to Harvard? With all the talent you would expect better results. Union started the season with only 5 returning seniors but 4 were on defense, Sidorski, Fineman, Ryan, and Estes. Ahorn added more experience as a jr and add three capable soph and two freshmen and Murphy. We are giving up 3 gpg and only scoring 2 gpg but the defense is keeping things tight. Two shutouts in the past three. Maybe we will not end up in the bottom 4.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                              X