No announcement yet.

Colgate 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shabby, sadly, no. On Friday, December 10, after seeing Quinnipiac handle LIU on the Island, I was rocketing through NYC on I-295 (Throgs Neck Expressway) on my way home. Suddenly, the two cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes and stopped. I did the same. The car behind slammed on its brakes and rear-ended me. The car going the wrong way on the interstate passed us both on the passenger side and continued on, causing two more separate accidents, including the final nine-car pileup in which the person went head-on into somebody. I am okay, but my mini-van was totaled (with 183k miles on it accumulated in 4 years). Just this week, I went to Newburgh, N.Y., to get my license plates, hand-controls and personal belongings (including two Colgate jerseys, one Omaha jersey, and one Friendship Four jersey). On Thursday, I head to Rochester, N.Y., to pickup a brand-new Honda Passport Sport AWD. On Friday, I get new winter tires on it. Sadly, new hand-controls are the sticking point... my retrieved mini-van ones won’t work on the new Honda and nobody has the new ones in stock and they have to be ordered (possibly from Canada). That will likely cancel Monday’s trip with Clarkson Doug to see Clarkson at Canisius. It may also cancel my Wednesday trip to follow Colgate to Marquette, Mich. I am not one to get depressed, but I will be greatly saddened if that happens. Being homebound for the holidays has not been all that much fun for me. he he he
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-29-2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
      Shabby, sadly, no. On Friday, December 10, after seeing Quinnipiac handle LIU on the Island, I was rocketing through NYC on I-295 (Throgs Neck Expressway) on my way home. Suddenly, the two cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes and stopped. I did the same. The car behind slammed on its brakes and rear-ended me. The car going the wrong way on the interstate passed us both on the passenger side and continued on, causing two more separate accidents, including the final nine-car pileup in which the person went head-on into somebody. I am okay, but my mini-van was totaled (with 183k miles on it accumulated in 4 years). Just this week, I went to Newburgh, N.Y., to get my license plates, hand-controls and personal belongings (including two Colgate jerseys, one Omaha jersey, and one Friendship Four jersey). On Thursday, I head to Rochester, N.Y., to pickup a brand-new Honda Passport Sport AWD. On Friday, I get new winter tires on it. Sadly, new hand-controls are the sticking point... my retrieved mini-van ones won’t work on the new Honda and nobody has the new ones in stock and they have to be ordered (possibly from Canada). That will likely cancel Monday’s trip with Clarkson Doug to see Clarkson at Canisius. It may also cancel my Wednesday trip to follow Colgate to Marquette, Mich. I am not one to get depressed, but I will be greatly saddened if that happens. Being homebound for the holidays has not been all that much fun for me. he he he
      Sorry to hear of your accident, but am certainly glad you were not injured. I am impressed that you were able to secure a new van, considering the world is short on new inventory at the moment ! I hope you get some good news on a the hand control delivery.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Wicked, thanks. Just this morning, I ordered a new set of hand-controls from United Access in Syracuse, N.Y., which is the company which installed them on my mini-van. They won’t be available for installation until mid-January. I am not a good car-shopper, so my brother-in-law found the new Honda Passport Sport AWD in Rochester, N.Y. (and reported, like you said, new mini-vans cannot be found anywhere). Also this morning, I contacted Avis Disability Desk about an 11-day rental to take care of the Canisius and Northern Michigan trips. The issue there is... the Avis location at the Binghamton (N.Y.) Airport has to get a hand-control car from Syracuse. Sheesh!

EDIT: Just received great news from Avis Disability Desk... VW Jetta with hand-controls confirmed for January 3-11 for $355. Clarkson at Canisius, Colgate at Northern Michigan (2x) and UMass at Michigan, here I come!! Well, Covid-permitting, of course.
        Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-29-2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Sorry about all your troubles ,but, most importantly you didn't get injured !
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• I echo the above comments...sadly, there are a lot of nut cases out there...the main point is that you're OK...parenthetically you have become an invaluable member of our hockey community...I wish everyone a safe and healthy New Year...unfortunately this is no longer a "throw away" line at year end...

Comment

• Iowa, I am so sorry - what a nightmare! So, so glad you were not hurt! Safe and happy upcoming trails!!

Comment

• Thinking of coming to the February 4 game. Are visitors usually seated in certain sections? Any advice on accomodations, food welcome.
                . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

• Thanks, all. Got the new Honda today but will drive VW Jetta rental to Canisius, Northern Michigan and Michigan games. By the time I return, I should be able to have hand-controls and winter tires installed on the Honda.

As for recommendations in Hamilton, N.Y., the Colgate Inn is wicked pricey for accommodations and very good for food (but reservations are a must anymore). I also like the Indian restaurant in town, Royal India Grill at 6 Broad Street (kitty corner from Colgate Inn). Good Nature Brewing is just south of town a bit.

Happy New Year to all.
                  Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-30-2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
                    Thinking of coming to the February 4 game. Are visitors usually seated in certain sections? Any advice on accomodations, food welcome.
                    When you buy your tickets tell them you're Big Red fans, they all sit together. It's the only sellout game every year so don't wait too long.

Rusch's Sports bar is way cheaper than The Inn, on Lebanon St right in the village.
                    Last edited by sshablak; 12-31-2021, 08:26 AM.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Rusch's doesn't stay open late since Covid, kitchen closes at 8. A good pre-game option though. The Hamilton Inn is another reservation required option, about a mile outside of town. Need that new clubhouse to get built!

Comment

• For those that like planning their lives (as I do)... Colgate’s travel partner Cornell’s 2022-23 tentative schedule...
                        http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,233626

Also, Clarkson apparently has Covid protocol issues, so Monday night’s non-conference game at Canisius is cancelled. As soon as my meds arrive on Tuesday, I am off to Northern Michigan for the Friday-Saturday Colgate series in my VW Jetta rental.

Comment

• PairWise Rankings (PWR) for Colgate and 2021-22 opponents out of 59 NCAA D-1 MIH programs (as of 01/06/21)...

4-Western Michigan, 7-Quinnipiac,

21-Clarkson, 22-Connecticut, 24-Harvard, 25-Arizona State, 26-Cornell, 28-Merrimack, 28-Northern Michigan, 37-RPI,
                          40-Colgate, 41-Saint Lawrence, 44-RIT, 46-Union, 50-Princeton, 51-Dartmouth, 56-Brown, 57-Vermont, 59-Yale.

Again, no major mood swings.

Colgate's next opponent... Northern Michigan (January 7-8).

I took in Mercyhurst at Miami on Tuesday night in Oxford, Ohio. Both teams played poorly, but it was an oddly intriguing game. Miami was up 4-2 with three minutes to play, and lost 5-4 in 3-on-3 OT. Shades of Washington, D.C.’s Frozen Four.

Tonight I am in Green Bay, Wisc., with just three more hours of driving the VW Jetta rental before I arrive in Marquette, Mich., for a Friday Fish Fry and Colgate hockey.

Comment

Tonight I am in Green Bay, Wisc., with just three more hours of driving the VW Jetta rental before I arrive in Marquette, Mich., for a Friday Fish Fry and Colgate hockey.
                            Marquette got between 1-2 feet of snow, depending on elevation, etc yesterday. Safe travels!
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
                              Thinking of coming to the February 4 game. Are visitors usually seated in certain sections? Any advice on accomodations, food welcome.
                              Best sandwiches/wraps in town at the Hamilton Eatery... but they're to-go only during Covid.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Also, don't forget Marquette is on eastern time & miss opening face off!
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X