No announcement yet.

Colgate 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried to get the game on the internet, guess I'm glad it didn't work.

Comment

• Gate83, you truly didn’t miss anything.

Again, I consider a blow-out to be a four-goal differential and today’s 6-1 loss definitely qualified. So far this year, we have been blown-out twice. But we have also blown-out our opposition twice. In our Point-less 2018-19 season, we were blown-out 7 times (and only did the same once). I am thankful for the little things.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
        Mitch Benson led the team on to the ice today for pre-game warm-up.

Shabby, the PWR is the only thing I look at starting October 1. The ‘wild swings’ lessen with each game played. The season is one pie each time I look at PWR. Each game played; the slices get smaller (and the swings lessen). I watched Omaha be ranked PWR number two on January 1 one season... and they missed the NCAA tournament. Only because they couldn’t close games in the second half and couldn’t close the season. Anything can happen.

UConn 8, Colgate 0, SOG on goal midway through first.
        UConn 1, Colgate 0, score midway thru 1.

They have us back on our heels.

First UConn goal was a wrap-around.
        Second UConn goal was a defensive miscue right in front of Mitch.

Colton Young with the initial shot and Pierson Brandon backhanded the rebound into the net.

UConn 12, Colgate 5, SOG after one.
        UConn 2, Colgate 1, score after one.

UConn scored a beautiful goal one minute into the second.
        PP breakaway and Mitch gave up the rebound and the goal.
        Mitch gave up a quick shot off a face-off, midway through the game.
        This has the feel of a blow-out.

UConn 25, Colgate 21, SOG after two.
        UConn 5, Colgate 1, score after two.

We came back on shots, but not many were great chances. But their goalie Darion “Big Hands” Hanson has looked good when called upon.

Not surprisingly, Carter Gylander has replaced Mitch Benson in net.

Late UConn goal against a screened Gylander.

UConn 34, Colgate 32, final SOG.
        UConn 6, Colgate 1, final score.

That loss was a total team effort. Offense was lethargic from the drop of the first puck. The defense committed many mistakes and often didn’t communicate with each other. And while Mitch Benson didn’t play that well, Carter Gylander was only a little better.
        What did I say ? Did you mean Rainman ?
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post

What did I say ? Did you mean Rainman ?
          Yeah, Iowa was talking to me about the PWR there.

And I agree, yesterday’s game was a total clunker for us. Is the season over? No. Can we redeem ourselves? Yes.

Am I frustrated right now? Yes. We started 4-0 and we’ve fallen to 8-8. There have been prior seasons where we got off to a fast start and then gotten mediocre. This season is starting to take a similar form.
          Colgate '09

Comment

• Sorry, Shabby, my mistake.

And Rainman, I totally agree with your summary of where we are at as a team.

I am sitting at Matthews Arena right now, awaiting this afternoon’s RPI at Northeastern non-conference contest. Arena #114 for me. Then I am headed up to the North Country next weekend; I believe Clarkson is now undefeated in six games (since losing to Dave Smith’s RPI). The next weekend I will check out Quinnipiac at LIU. So much college hockey to be played before I return to Boston for the Frozen Four in mid-April.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gate83 View Post
              I tried to get the game on the internet, guess I'm glad it didn't work.
              What time did you try, I looked at 7 PM and the game was over. Didn't know the game was on at 4:00, maybe a good thing I missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post

What time did you try, I looked at 7 PM and the game was over. Didn't know the game was on at 4:00, maybe a good thing I missed it.
                Close to the start, I knew game was at 4. Got the spinning wheel of death and by the time I checked back it was 4-1 so no reason to try to figure out why it didn't work...

Comment

• Not a great weekend for Easy AC Hockey vs. Hockey Least...

Fri., Providence over Dartmouth,
                  Fri., New Hampshire over Harvard,
                  Fri., Northeastern over RPI,
                  Sat., UConn over Colgate,
                  Sat., Union over Merrimack,
                  Sat., Providence over Brown,
                  Sat., Cornell over BU,
                  Sun., Northeastern over RPI,
                  Sun, Vermont over Dartmouth.

Did somebody mention PairWise Rankings?

P.S. - It especially hurts as Cornell and Union are my two least favorite ECAC teams. he he he
                  Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-29-2021, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• I guess one of my best Thanksgiving presents was not viewing the 6-1 blowout against UConn...are we reverting to the mean for our program? another 14-18-2 regular season? I guess the 2 X 4 never felt so good...perhaps some kind of split up north next weekend is all we can hope for...reality bites...

Comment

• let's face it boys and girls there are four teams in the ECAC that, essentially year-in and year-out, are able to recruit with the rest of country...the bottom eight? pretty much above Atlantic Hockey but below the other DI leagues...albeit from not-so-reliable sources Colgate seems to be near the top of the bottom eight, but not in the class of Harvard, Cornell, Clarkson and Q-Pac...I wonder if Brett Riley could've changed our dynamic a little?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                        there are four teams in the ECAC that, essentially year-in and year-out, are able to recruit with the rest of country...the bottom eight? pretty much above Atlantic Hockey but below the other DI leagues...Colgate seems to be near the top of the bottom eight, but not in the class of Harvard, Cornell, Clarkson and Q-Pac.
                        Having followed college hockey in general, and Colgate hockey in particular, since 1980, these 57 words seem to sum up the overall situation pretty succinctly in my opinion, too.

Comment

• I realized we had alot more balanced scoring this year so looking for positives I did a little research. Scoring has been our Achilles heel since the Spinks left.

2020-21 season followed by 2021-22 season

Mckechney GP 22 Goals 7 A 6 Points 13 GP 16 Goals 7 A 7 Points 14

Alex Young GP 21 Goals 6 A 7 Points 13 GP 15 Goals 4 A 7 Points 11

Matt Verboon GP 22 Goals 4 A 6 Points 10 GP 16 Goals 5 A 9 Points 14

Colton Young GP 21 Goals 1 A 3 Points 4 GP 16 Goals 9 A 8 17 Points
                          Four points last year now leads team in scoring !

Nick Anderson GP 21 Goals 2 A 6 Points 8 GP 16 Goals 1 A 9 Points 10

Ethan Manderville GP 22 Goals 4 A 2 Points 6 GP 16 Goals 1 A 8 Points 9

Pierson Brandon GP 22 G 0 A 10 Points 10 GP 15 Goals 5 A 3 Points 8 5 Goals by a defenseman and none last year.

Last year we averaged 2.18 Goals per game This year 3.25 Over a goal a game increase
                          Goals against this year 2.81 last year 3 Goals against

The increase in scoring is also in six LESS games than last years totals. Two years ago our leading scorers were Bobby McMann and Sharf with 20 points in 34 games.
                          Powerplay is at 19.5% which is respectable. There are improvements being made, just look at the stats.
                          Last edited by sshablak; 11-30-2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Shabby, great stats. Thanks.
                            How about goaltending comparison?

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                              Having followed college hockey in general, and Colgate hockey in particular, since 1980, these 57 words seem to sum up the overall situation pretty succinctly in my opinion, too.
                              Top of the bottom 8…does that mean #5? Not sure how that’s possible because we often finish the season much lower.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• TeacherBill, he didn’t say ‘tippy-top,’ he just said ‘top.’ he he he. If you have eight teams and my math is correct, four are in the ‘top’ and four are in the ‘bottom.’ Don’t we historically finish fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth in ECAC Hockey standings? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X