No announcement yet.

Colgate 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look we are all upset but to call out players by name, especially when he has been one players all year. They are playing their best they gripped the sticks too tight in the third. The killer were the two goals in the second, really got them back in it. Sometimes it seems like some people want to see the team fail so that they have a reason to call for the firing of Vaughn which would be ridiculous.

Comment

• This was the worst loss in a long long time. Blowing a 5 goal lead at home is just brutal. This win could have propelled the season over a legit NCHC ranked team going forward into league play. Even if they won 5-3 tonight or something and then lost tomorrow night we would still be fine going forward. Now we have a must win tomorrow or this one game just may define the season.

Comment

• 90-minute ride home to stew on it... and I did...
        First, I agree wholeheartedly with Joe McGrath... Carter Gylander is not the reason for tonight’s loss. Period. Our defense is our weak link this season. There is no way they should allow that many shots on our goalie.
        Second, if our defensive skills aren’t up to snuff, then trying to rely on them solely for a full twenty minutes doesn’t make a lot of strategic sense.
        Third, Shabby said that we’d know where we stand after the Western Michigan series. It’s not over, but I think I do know where we stand. I have given up on seeing Colgate compete in the Frozen Four in Boston this year. And knowing that WMU is not historically at the top of the NCHC heap, I am quickly giving up on seeing ‘Gate in a Regional this season. That being said, our 5-3 record thus far still gives me hope that we can compete in the ECAC for a spot at Lake Placid in 2022. Clarkson went down to Michigan Tech tonight, at home; in fact, it was a shutout. They’ve tied Canisius and lost once to Fairbanks, who took Cornell, at Lynah, to OT tonight. I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.
        Finally, I don’t expect to win tomorrow. The skill level differential between the two teams is just too great. We might have lucked out tonight to have 12 shots equate to 5 goals in a winning performance, but we didn’t. Maybe the lesson is that, if we are going to try to sit on a lead against a top-notch team for a period or more, we should have a 7-0 lead built up first. Otherwise, don’t even attempt that strategy.

P.S. - I am wicked thankful for the Young brothers tonight.
        Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-29-2021, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• call it whatever you want - going from a 2-1-2 to a 1-2-2, whatever - our third periods this year, especially with the lead, have been simply awful and it has to be fixed...I think we surprised WMU early on with our speed and skill...when you sit back and get too defensive you cede to them their biggest advantage over us, i.e., their size and ability to grind us to death in our zone...we've got four good lines and depth on defense...yes, we had bad coverage in our defensive zone, but we spent 80% of the period defending...Gylander was fine, got some bad bounces, especially the last goal, but a team becomes exhausted by defending much more so than attacking...we did virtually none of the latter over the last 20 minutes...we're better than that PERIOD...

Comment

• If you want their side of the story...

https://wmubroncos.com/news/2021/10/...r-colgate.aspx

Comment

• You aren't going to win many games giving up 53 shots - whether you have a 5-0 lead or not. I wonder what our blocked shots total was?
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

• Mitch Benson in goal for Colgate today.
                Brandon Bussi back in goal for WMU.

Despite me wearing a Halloween costume (Omaha jersey), Red introduced himself. Thanks, and great meeting you.

WMU 12,Colgate 6, SOG after one.
                Colgate 0, WMU 0, score after one.

Alex Young scores on a beautiful shot. Assist to Colton Young.

WMU 28, Colgate 12, SOG after two.
                Colgate 1, WMU 0, score after two.

Crazy game in front of a couple hundred fans. The natural tendency of this team will be to try to just dump the puck out of our end for 20 minutes; I understand that fact. Mitch Benson has looked good in his return to the nets.

Western Michigan scored midway through third.

WMU 40, Colgate 18, SOG final.
                WMU 2, Colgate 1, final score.
                WMU wins in 3-on-3 OT.
                Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-30-2021, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• I think the 3 on 3 format in overtime is a joke (and not because we lost tonight)...4 and 4 is much better, but if they insist on the former then award 3 points for a win in regulation, 2 in overtime with a point going to the loser...seems more equitable...tough loss tonight but we were outplayed and frankly our legs looked a little dead...wish WMU the best for the rest of the year...the big disappointment was obviously last night's giveaway...

Comment

• Green…..that’s exactly what the ECAC is doing this year

Comment

• Looking for some positives after a tough weekend at home and a 5-4 start to our season.
                      Looking at the previous sixteen seasons, we've had 6 wins in the first 9 games (excluding exhibitions) in just two other seasons (2005-06, 2014-15).
                      And we've had 5 wins in the first 9 games in another two seasons (2008-09, 2011-12), both being minimally better than this year at 5-3-1.
                      So, even though I grouse at a 5-4 record and call it 'mediocre,' it is still an improvement over the last six seasons.
                      At this point, I will take any positives that I can get. he he he

Colgate Men’s Ice Hockey
                      First 9 Games (excl. exhibitions):
                      2005-06 6-2-1
                      2006-07 3-4-2
                      2007-08 3-5-1
                      2008-09 5-3-1
                      2009-10 3-3-3
                      2010-11 2-6-1
                      2011-12 5-3-1
                      2012-13 4-4-1
                      2013-14 3-5-1
                      2014-15 6-3-0
                      2015-16 4-5-0
                      2016-17 1-4-4
                      2017-18 3-2-4
                      2018-19 2-6-1
                      2019-20 2-4-3
                      2020-21 2-4-3
                      2021-22 5-4-0

Comment

• Friday: score 5 goals, but lose because you allow 6.
                        Saturday: improve defensively, only allowing 2 goals, but STILL lose, because you only score 1.

I HATE when this happens! It can be psychologically taxing, because you’re pressured to play a “perfect” game. We could easily be 9-0 but we’re 5-4. Hopefully playing WMU twice, a team that I think will be one of the best in the NCAA this season, will prepare us for the league schedule. Our next 6 games are against teams that didn’t play at all last season. We are fortunate to start the league schedule with Dartmouth and Harvard on the road, catching these teams on their ice when they’re just starting their seasons. We’re also getting a long road trip out of the way early.
                        Colgate '09

Comment

• Interesting record analysis, IBT...it's unimpressive. After next weekend, 1/3 of the season will be in the books
                          For me, the best outcome and takeaway was having Benson in net on Saturday...and Brescia at QB. Hope Benson gets the nod vs. Harvard
                          Agree, Rain...nice to get the trip out of the way early, but like home ice advantage (which is a myth IMO), I think Harvard, Cornell & Co. will be motivated and very ready to play despite having last season off.
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• albeit against decent opponents, but our home record is 2-4...Harvard is loaded with talent BTW...

Comment

• Guess who CHNs Team of the Week is for this week? I’ll give you a hint - it’s not Colgate.

Comment

• Magoo, I took the bait and peeked.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ek-Western.php

I thought it was a good article, and fair.
                                Again, looking at the positives, we may have given WMU ‘CHN Team of the Week’ honors, but we didn’t do the same for Vermont, Merrimack nor Arizona State. 1 out of 4 isn’t bad, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X