Colgate 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Looks like Carter Gylander in goal for ‘Gate tonight, as he lead team on the ice for the pre-game warm-up. Cole Brady in goal for Arizona State University. New uniforms with the diagonal lettering in use tonight. The coffee lady relayed the news of Minnesota women defeating previously-unbeaten Colgate women this afternoon by two goals.

Too Many Men on the Ice penalty against ‘Gate results in Colton Young SHG early in first.

Another ‘Gate penalty nets ASU a PPG.
    Shortly thereafter, ASU takes the lead on a well set-up goal.

Colgate 14, ASU 8, SOG after one.
    ASU 2, Colgate 1, score after one.

Alex DiPaolo with beautiful ‘Gate goal.
    Really nice crowd on-hand tonight.

Ross Mitton’s gorgeous goal at same time as ASU penalty.
    Colgate shows great effort in keeping puck in offensive zone on Power Play resulting in Ross Mitton’s second goal within minutes.
    Colton Young with a great break-away goal. Look for a different ASU goalie in the third.
    The effort in keeping pucks in their end paid off with another goal (by Pierson Brandon).

Colgate 28, ASU 24, SOG after two.
    Colgate 6, ASU 2, score after two.

Ben Kraws in goal for ASU.
    Beautiful backhand goal by Pierson Brandon.
    ASU PPG in third.
    Colton Young goal... HAT TRICK!!

ASU 38, Colgate 36, final SOG.
    Colgate 8, ASU 3, final score.
    Wow! Wheaties kicked in during 2nd period. Your team did great!

Comment

A 90-minute ride home tonight (with only one doe crossing) and I am still pumped...

I can stop saying ‘we have a little offense this year’ and start saying ‘we have firepower.’ At one point on the scoreboard, the message read, ‘11 Colgate players have scored already this year.’ I don’t know where we stand with that stat after the game, but it’s an impressive number.

Our goaltending is top-notch. Carter Gylander was very good at times tonight (as we were out-shot again) and he was very lucky at other times. On the other side, I kept saying ‘this Colgate goal was beautiful’ and ‘that Colgate goal was gorgeous,’ and they were... but at some point, when it’s one-on-one, a good goalie just needs to stop those shots. Cole Brady wasn’t getting it done, thus the ASU goalie change in the third.

I am still a little skeptical of our defense, otherwise why wouldn’t I predict that we were already tournament-bound with a record of 5-1? I think our ‘D’ could be this season’s Achilles Heel; time will tell.

And obviously we believe in ourselves and we don’t give up. This season, when we gave up the first goal, we came right back. Tonight, when we went down 2-1, we came right back. As a fan, that is really exciting to see.

Sol Diablo, typically, we are not an 8-3 winning team, just as ASU is not typically a 3-8 losing team. I expect a much tighter game tomorrow and one which could probably go either way. It will be interesting to see who the starting goalies will be. Based on our series with Vermont and Merrimack, I would expect Andrew Farrier will be in goal for ‘Gate. Any idea who you think will start for ASU?
      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-22-2021, 11:06 PM.

Comment

The ECAC Pick The Standings contest is back! Make sure to get your picks in before the league schedule kicks off next weekend.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Finally, freshmen who contribute, such a sight to see…multiple highlight-reel goals and what looked to be a great crowd. Hope the fan base continues after Parents’ Weekend.
          Still gave up 3 goals/2pp…Not sure if that will get the job done against a top-tier team. We were outshot again but can’t argue with the result this time. Guess we’ll see how good a win this really is as ASU grinds through the season. Let’s finish the job. Hope the women’s team earns a split.
          C O L G A T E
          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
          1990 NCAA FINALS
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

As a Cornell alum and parent of a Colgate sophomore, I’ve been watching ECAC hockey for 40 years. Very impressed with this years’ Colgate team. Best offense since the Spink years, and very good goaltending. I agree that the biggest question mark in on defense, but this team has the makings of a contender for Lake Placid.

The ECAC overall looks really strong this year. Quinnipiac took it to North Dakota last night, and Clarkson dominated Alaska. RPI looks improved, and as usual Harvard has the most high-end talent in the league. If my Big Red can find a suitable replacement for Galajda, they have great depth up front and the defense should be rock solid. Looks like we’re in for a terrific year of hockey.

Comment

I'm surprised Coach Jackson didn't play Galajda on Friday - they lost to RIT in OT. Galajda played last night and got the shut out. I'm hearing good things about the 'Gate's freshmen. As for Cornell, you can be well assured Coach Schafer will have his team ready.
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                65....What cable system(or dish) do you use ? I have never had any problems (that I can remember) with my Spectrum. How old is your computer ?
                Using a dish, Shabby. Live in the country; no cables out here. Computer may be 5-6 yrs old. It's slow; probably need a new hard drive. (Am in the process of getting that taken care of.) ISP is Hughes.net - which stinks. Maybe I should switch to Spectrum. I've had trouble with ESPN+ multiple years. Have even talked to them and complained, but got nowhere. Thanks for your concern tho 8-)

Great win over ASU. Love all the guys scoring. Keep it up tonight. Is John McGraw still doing games?
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                  A 90-minute ride home tonight (with only one doe crossing) and I am still pumped...

I can stop saying ‘we have a little offense this year’ and start saying ‘we have firepower.’ At one point on the scoreboard, the message read, ‘11 Colgate players have scored already this year.’ I don’t know where we stand with that stat after the game, but it’s an impressive number.

Our goaltending is top-notch. Carter Gylander was very good at times tonight (as we were out-shot again) and he was very lucky at other times. On the other side, I kept saying ‘this Colgate goal was beautiful’ and ‘that Colgate goal was gorgeous,’ and they were... but at some point, when it’s one-on-one, a good goalie just needs to stop those shots. Cole Brady wasn’t getting it done, thus the ASU goalie change in the third.

I am still a little skeptical of our defense, otherwise why wouldn’t I predict that we were already tournament-bound with a record of 5-1? I think our ‘D’ could be this season’s Achilles Heel; time will tell.

And obviously we believe in ourselves and we don’t give up. This season, when we gave up the first goal, we came right back. Tonight, when we went down 2-1, we came right back. As a fan, that is really exciting to see.

Sol Diablo, typically, we are not an 8-3 winning team, just as ASU is not typically a 3-8 losing team. I expect a much tighter game tomorrow and one which could probably go either way. It will be interesting to see who the starting goalies will be. Based on our series with Vermont and Merrimack, I would expect Andrew Farrier will be in goal for ‘Gate. Any idea who you think will start for ASU?
                  We might have a chance if your team doesn't show up with that machine gun again!!!!

Comment

The attendance according to the box score was 1081. Idk had to be more than that right? Looked like a lot more

Comment

• Red, if capacity is 2,222, then it was probably half-full. It just looked like a HUGE crowd as we are used to seeing hundreds of fans (not thousands).

Comment

• Carter Gylander led the troops onto the ice for tonight’s pre-game warm-up. Ben Kraws in goal for ASU. The Minnesota women swept Colgate’s women this weekend, winning 3-2 today in a very entertaining game in Hamilton.

ASU 12, Colgate 10, SOG after one.
                        Colgate 0, ASU 0, score after one.

Fast-paced period. Very even play.

ASU’s Jack Becker scores early in second.
                        ASU’s Johnny Walker scored a PPG.
                        Colgate having trouble starting out of the penalty box... again.
                        Colgate’s Alex Young gets one back... a PPG.
                        Both teams having penalty box trouble... ASU’s BGSU grad transfer Timmy T. has three penalties already, and Colgate’s Arnaud Vachon two.

ASU 25, Colgate 20, SOG after two.
                        ASU 2, Colgate 1, score after two.

Another fairly even period. This one is up for grabs in the third period. It is going to be key to stay out of the box, though.

Jeff Stewart tied it up for ‘Gate in third.
                        Tommy Bergsland scores for ‘Gate.
                        5 minutes left and we are just protecting one goal lead.
                        4 minutes left, ASU pulls goalie.
                        Hooking penalty on ‘Gate.
                        ASU goalie back in and ASU scores PPG to tie it up.
                        2:23 to go and another penalty... to Vachon.

ASU 35, Colgate 30, SOG after regulation.
                        Colgate 3, ASU 3, after regulation.
                        3-on-3 OT for five minutes.

ASU wins 4-3. Goal by Timmy T.
                        Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-23-2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Felt like attendance was higher at the women’s game, but there was a mass exodus after the crappy 2nd period.

We look better than average, which is saying a lot for this slumped program, and the finish today was unfortunate yet typical. Gave up another pair of PP goals and outshot again this season. You can’t convince me that it bodes well for any program’s success. ASU did what it needed to for a road team: bounce back from a drubbing to earn a split on the road, and we gave it to them on a silver platter.
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• TeacherBill, I totally agree with you. Like the Saturday Merrimack home loss, we could have won tonight's ASU home game. But, unlike one week ago, I am not overly down-in-the-dumps about it. Yeah, we lost, in OT, after coming back from being down 2-0. Carter Gylander was visibly mad at letting that puck go by him in OT. I like a guy that isn't happy with a loss. Don Vaughan was a screamer behind the bench again tonight. It never hurts to see passion like that (after 28 years, no less). The key for me is... did we learn a lesson or two? Can we be better disciplined in the future and not take multiple penalties? Arnaud Vachon has been an asset, but he needs to learn to stay out of the penalty box. The same with ASU's BGSU grad transfer Timmy Theocharidis. He had multiple penalties tonight, but he least he got redemption with the GWG. So where are we? 5-2. And we could fairly easily have been 7-0 tonight. That's not all bad. Western Michigan of the uber-tough NCHC is next up... at home. As Shabby previously pointed out, these next two games will be the real test. Sweep and we're a very impressive 7-2. Split and we're a much-improved 6-3. Get swept and we're an average 5-4.

SolDiablo, congrats on tonight's win and continued good-luck down the road.
                            Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-23-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Iowa, Where are we with two ties? Haha…you didn’t give your opinion on that….faceoffs killed us today.

Comment

• Red... he he he... too many scenarios.
                                Faceoffs definitely killed us in 3-on-3 OT when it is all about possession. Were we equally bad in the first three periods?

Comment

Working...
                                X