No announcement yet.

Colgate 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK...I think we can start by stipulating that teams that are losing going into the third period will generally "push the play" (more aggressive forecheck, pinching D-men, etc.) and this may occur at the start of the last period or sometime during the course of the period (circumstances dictate)...it is therefore not surprisingly to see SOG tilt distinctly for the trailing team over the last 20 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever...and I will admit that SOG is not always a totally accurate representation of legit scoring chances, time in the offensive zone, etc. That being said in the three games against Vermont (twice) and Merrimack (game #2) we were outshot 50-13 while playing with a lead (two 20-minutes of action against VT and roughly half the period of the Merrimack game (12-4 shots against before they tied the game at 3-3)...that's 50 shots in, essentially 2 1/2 periods of hockey (vs. 13)...that does give me some concern over our lack of aggressiveness while preserving a lead...

Comment

So you're saying The teams that are "pushing the play" and playing desparate hockey is somehow DV's fault because of the system he uses? My original question was, "tell me what system he uses, while playing with a lead in the third" ? This is because I don't know what system he uses, you and Tchrbill don't like his system, please tell me what it is ?
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

my issues with DV aren't really about any "system" per se...I have a problem with his W-L record since, pick a date, 2007-08, 2015-16, whatever...as I have stated many, many times, backed by the #s, DV's record through 2006-07 was quite good (c. 55%)...since then it is c. 43%...he's a quality individual who helps young men become grow and mature in the right way...so was Tim Taylor at Yale and many others...and I don't think these decisions come easily...I will not compare him to Pecknold because, for many, many reasons, that is simply unfair...but 43% over a long period of time is not getting the job done...period...

Comment

Noone can answer me, doesn't surprise me !

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            Noone can answer me, doesn't surprise me !
            He uses a passive 1-2-2 forecheck when playing with a lead - instead of playing an aggressive forecheck which ultimately gets them the lead. It is a team mind set that they think they shouldn't be aggressive with a lead in the 3rd period.
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Thank you, you answered my question ! So a 2-2-1 would be what he uses for the first two periods with a lead, sending in two forecheckers instead of one, or 2-3 ?
              Last edited by sshablak; 10-19-2021, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Our OOC schedule this season feels like a repeat of 2017-18. We host Merrimack x2, host Arizona State x2, visit UConn x1, and play Western Michigan x2.

But Western Michigan is actually returning the trip we made out to their barn 4 years ago!

This weekend's games should be a good measuring stick for us.
                Colgate '09

Comment

I guess I have picked the wrong season to be shy/depressed, and not post inane comments. Good to see the team doing so well. Keep it up.

Will the people in charge ever schedule an afternoon game so we geezers can attend? It's unsafe to negotiate Route 20 in the winter when one can disappear in a snow bank and never be seen again. Maybe 1 or 2 games at 2 PM? I'm not asking for the moon.....geez. (I won't subscribe to ESPN+ after they've screwed me over the past couple (of) years.)
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

65....What cable system(or dish) do you use ? I have never had any problems (that I can remember) with my Spectrum. How old is your computer ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Last question, do you think it's easier to get into Colgate or Q-Pac ? And again, I'm not saying Q-Pac is a bad school because it's not ! Chime in MarkEagle please.
                      To be honest Steve, I'm not sure where QU is as of today. I know they've raised there admissions standards over the past few years and have heard they're in line with the best of the ECAC (not sure what that really means). We've been consistently near the top of the ECAC academic standings for several years now, even besting most, if not all, of the Ivy's.

For me, college hockey isn't about wins/losses. Hockey doesn't last forever. It's an overall product of on and off ice accomplishments. Neither QU or 'Gate are "hockey schools" so we'll never consistently be the best of the best. But our kids do extremely well in the classroom and graduate. I can say very few kids have come through our program just for the hockey.

As fans we tend to expect more... more wins, more hardware. But whenever I read about the team visiting sick kids in the hospital, or doing community service, combined with their academic success, it puts everything in perspective. I admit that our 2 national championship losses sting a little, but I wouldn't trade program integrity for them.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                      Northeast Regional:
                      West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                        Our OOC schedule this season feels like a repeat of 2017-18. We host Merrimack x2, host Arizona State x2, visit UConn x1, and play Western Michigan x2.

But Western Michigan is actually returning the trip we made out to their barn 4 years ago!

This weekend's games should be a good measuring stick for us.
                        Rainman... did you forget 'visit Northern Michigan x2' in early January (which is, of course, always the perfect time to visit the U.P.)?

As for Arizona State, I have seen them play a couple of times in the last couple of years and I will say that they play a very aggressive, very physical style of play (a la North Dakota). If you thought RIT and Vermont got physical, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Lastly, and off-topic, I took in Canisius at Clarkson last night in-person in Potsdam. Clarkson is not the dominant team that they have been in recent years, despite a 3-0 lead at the start. On 12 shots, Canisius had a 4-3 lead against Clarkson's number one goalie Ethan Haider. At that point, Clarkson had 30 shots to get their 3 goals. Clarkson was lucky to get the 4-4 tie with a PPG in the last minute of regulation. Clarkson dominated 3-on-3 OT, but couldn't score against the Atlantic Hockey school from Buffalo. Bottom line? I think they are beatable by Colgate in early December, as long as we don't try to sit on our lead throughout the third period. he he he
                        Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-21-2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Iowa are you attending the women's game today at 2:00 ? Guess you'd be on the road right now.

Comment

Shabby, no. I will be at both men’s games, but I am riding up with a friend today. He lives near Binghamton and goes to a couple of Friday night games each season. I am planning on making tomorrow’s women’s game, though.

Comment

Looks like Carter Gylander in goal for ‘Gate tonight, as he led team on the ice for the pre-game warm-up. Cole Brady in goal for Arizona State University. New uniforms with the diagonal lettering in use tonight. The coffee lady relayed the news of Minnesota women defeating previously-unbeaten Colgate women this afternoon by two goals.

Too Many Men on the Ice penalty against ‘Gate results in Colton Young SHG early in first.

Another ‘Gate penalty nets ASU a PPG.
                              Shortly thereafter, ASU takes the lead on a well set-up goal.

Colgate 14, ASU 8, SOG after one.
                              ASU 2, Colgate 1, score after one.

Alex DiPaolo with beautiful ‘Gate goal.
                              Really nice crowd on-hand tonight.

Ross Mitton’s gorgeous goal at same time as ASU penalty.
                              Colgate shows great effort in keeping puck in offensive zone on Power Play resulting in Ross Mitton’s second goal within minutes.
                              Colton Young with a great break-away goal. Look for a different ASU goalie in the third.
                              The effort in keeping pucks in their end paid off with another goal (by Pierson Brandon).

Colgate 28, ASU 24, SOG after two.
                              Colgate 6, ASU 2, score after two.

Ben Kraws in goal for ASU.
                              Beautiful backhand goal by Pierson Brandon.
                              ASU PPG in third.
                              Colton Young goal... HAT TRICK!!

ASU 38, Colgate 36, final SOG.
                              Colgate 8, ASU 3, final score.
                              Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-22-2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

you can see the improvement in both speed and skill so far this year...a little sloppy in defensive zone, but that can be improved...great to see Ross Mitton get on the board twice...when was the last time we scored 5 goals in a period and 8 overall? And Parents' Weekend crowd even looked good...keep it up...

Comment

Working...
                                X