No announcement yet.

Colgate 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magoo, I thought attendance was alright. The surprise to me was the number of students. They filled their end section and were on my side, too. They aren’t real rowdy until ‘Gate scores, but they did have one “Let’s Go, Colgate!” chant in the third period. he he he

Mimeographed program page tonight. $3 coffee in a small cup. Some first-night jitters on Covid check and Sullivan Suite, but, all-in-all, the home opener went well. AD Nikki Moore was there all evening cheering on her ‘Gate squad.

After a 90-minute drive home, I am still pumped. Early on in the first period, their 6’8” Swedish goalie looked unbeatable and our defense looked like they were playing whack-a-mole at the Madison County Fair with the puck. I thought, ‘oh, man, this does not look good for the home team.’ But, surprisingly, we scored first (a rarity this season) and got stronger as the game went on. We pinged their pipes three times, with the first two heading outside and the final one going in!! A very good college hockey game and a great win for Colgate. When was the last time we started a season 4-0?? CU13, do you know? Hopefully we can take advantage of these PWR-helpful non-conference wins later in the season. And, if nothing else, we’re helping the other ECAC teams with PWR down the road. Oh, and tonight’s 3-on-3 OT reminded me that it’s all about possession.

Tomorrow’s game is 4 p.m. puck-drop, too.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-15-2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I loved the “let’s go gate” chant by the students and commented, when is the last time we heard that?

Comment

Last 4-0 start was in 2004. Great win and Mack only had three shots in the third !
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

yes, a little running around early in the game, but we settled down...good overall game and McKechney is playing at a high level...good to see a decent # of students (feel sorry for the folks who traveled to Ithaca to watch an *** whuppin'...again, this team has decent speed and a solid D-core...keep it going boys...

Comment

Game-Winning Goals, 2021-22:

@RIT... Colton Young
            @Vermont... Colton Young
            @Vermont... Matt Verboon
            Merrimack... Colton Young
            Merrimack... ??
            Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-17-2021, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Andrew Farrier is in goal today for Colgate.
              Zach Borgiel in goalie for Merrimack.

Matt Verboon scores early in first.

Merrimack 10, Colgate 6, SOG after one.
              Colgate 1, Merrimack 0, score after one.

We got lax in the last minute (and lucky), but overall a good period for ‘Gate. Their goalie doesn’t look that sharp to me this afternoon.

McKechney with a beautiful PP goal early in the second.

Colgate having penalty problems and gave up a PP goal.

Crazy period. McKechney scored a PP goal in the last minute.

Merrimack 23, Colgate 17, SOG after two.
              Colgate 3, Merrimack 1, score after two.

I think Merrimack is gonna be madder than hornets here in the third. They had a review ruled against them (lost time-out ‘cause of it) then lost quick review of late PP goal. We better keep the foot on the gas if we wanna win this one, me thinks.

Best part of today’s game? Just met Shabby (a.k.a. Steve) in-person.

When will we learn? Sitting on puck, dumping puck in third isn’t a great strategy. Merrimack scored. Colton Young penalty. Merrimack scored. Tied game. And Merrimack takes the lead on a beautifully set-up play. And ENG for ‘Mack.

Merrimack 37, Colgate 21, final SOG.
              Merrimack 5, Colgate 3, final score.

Lessons learned from loss??
              Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-16-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Iowa - you're the best!!! You somehow make the losses a bit more palatable. So glad you met Shabby!!!! Go 'gate!

Comment

Glad the team could experience some success early in the season and are playing again at home. As of now, we're outscoring opponents 17-12, but have been outshot in 4/5 games. Was sorry not to see Gylander in net again. Iowa, you were psychic with your 3rd period prediction of today's game.
                  The reality is we have not played the toughest OOC schedule. The reality is we gave up a 2-goal lead late in the game, and lost. The reality is we still have Vaughan as head coach, so nothing will really change.
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Tonight it took me 90 minutes just to cool down after we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. A couple of years ago, when I would tell people that we had ‘no offense, no defense, and three freshmen goalies,’ when we lost a game at home, I would be bummed but not hot under the collar. I didn’t expect pigs to fly then either. But, that isn’t the case this year and that wasn’t the case tonight. We could have won our fifth straight game and I think everybody knows it. Hockey is a numbers game. You can’t consistently get out-shot and expect to win each game. You can’t spend that many minutes in the penalty box and expect to win the game. And you can’t spend thirty minutes being passive trying to protect a lead when you spent twenty minutes aggressively building that lead. That’s what makes tonight so frustrating for me. And TeacherBill, you are right. This year’s schedule is not against many Grade-A opponents; Quinnipiac is the only team that made last year’s 16-team tournament. Andrew Farrier was not the reason that we are flying the ‘L’ tonight. You can rotate quality goalies or you can ride the hot pony until he breaks. I don’t have a problem with that call. All I ask is that the team, coaches and players, learn some lessons from tonight. Please.
                    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-16-2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

great comments IBT...eventually our coach MUST let these kids play 60 minutes of in-your-face hockey and not sit on a lead, any lead...they got away with it at Vermont; not the case tonight...BTW Q-Pac dominated VT tonight at Gutterson (to put things in perspective)...

Comment

Disappointing game. I thought their physical play through 2 periods came back and hurt us in the third. Secondly, farrier is a great number 2 but gylander is our #1
                        Last edited by red133883; 10-16-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Not sure what happened last night ? After two periods I was feeling very good about our team, even our powerplay looked good. The wheels fell off in the third, and now I feel like we took a step backwards.
                          Several posters here put all the fault on DV's plate, please explain why. Do we change our forechecking system in the third, send one checker in maybe instead of two, or maybe none at all and just sit back at the blue line ? It just looked to me that Mack wanted it more.
                          Time and time again after Farrier made a nice stop the Mack forwards were allowed to hack away and bump into him after the whistle. That cannot be allowed, the officials are the only ones that can prevent it from happening.
                          The big picture, I'll take a 4-1 start all day long, the team is much better than expected. We are still very young with alot of inexperience on the blue line and growing pains will be felt. Be happy and go forward !

Thank you Iowa and CU13 for the kind words, it was also a pleasure to finally meet Iowa !

Comment

Not sure there are several posters who are putting all the fault on Vaughan's plate, but I am putting some where it belongs and am glad to explain why I think so. The 14, sub- .500 seasons, ECAC Tournament early exits (if we even make it), noticeable lack of hardware, and 1st round losses in the NCAAs are not hallmarks of a winning program for 3 decades. The Class of '65 Arena opened 10/16 and we finished 9-22-6 (.324) that year. Where was/is the recruiting prior, during, and after? Very glad for the 4-1 start this season but getting outshot every game is not something that will change after reviewing tape.

Don Vaughan Career Coaching Statistics - College Hockey | USCHO.com

By comparison:

Rand Pecknold Career Coaching Statistics - College Hockey | USCHO.com
                            C O L G A T E
                            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                            1990 NCAA FINALS
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

OK...In all fairness, compare grade and SAT requirements to attend Q-Pac vs Colgate. I don't know about Q-Pac's but Colgate's grade requirements are very high, maybe Q-Pac's are high also, I don't really know, inform me please .
                              I do know the hockey team's GPA is the highest of any other teams at Colgate. Fact It also costs $ 75,000 per annum ($300,000) to graduate Colgate. Some of the scholarships are only half scholies, and last I knew Gate gave 17.5 instead of the 18 or 18.5 that is allowed. Last question, do you think it's easier to get into Colgate or Q-Pac ? And again, I'm not saying Q-Pac is a bad school because it's not ! Chime in MarkEagle please.
                              I just don't think it's a fair comparison between coaches.
                              Last edited by sshablak; 10-18-2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how we "sit back" in the third period every game, very curious for an explanation.

Comment

Working...
                                X