X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied
    Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Now, I know there's gotta be a good reason for this, but would someone explain to me why there would be a Regional in Allentown, PA? I mean this is the home of wrestling, with Lehigh University and Lafayette big name wrestling colleges. Neither has a hockey team (that I know of). Is hockey a big sport in northern central PA?

It seems strange to me that there were 3 out of 4 regionals in the East: Albany, Allentown and Worcester. Why would this be? It seems to me that having 50% of the regionals in the west and 50& in the east would make more sense. Plus, the Final Four is in Boston. Whaaaaa? Of course other years I suppose three out of four were in the west, who knows? It just seems weird that teams like Michuigan, Notre Dame, Western Michigan, etc. are all playing in the east when their fan base is in the west. Whats the logic? And Boston is as far east as it gets :-(
    The short answer is that there aren't many western venues bidding on the regionals.

Leave a comment:

• ColSkate65
    replied
    Now, I know there's gotta be a good reason for this, but would someone explain to me why there would be a Regional in Allentown, PA? I mean this is the home of wrestling, with Lehigh University and Lafayette big name wrestling colleges. Neither has a hockey team (that I know of). Is hockey a big sport in northern central PA?

It seems strange to me that there were 3 out of 4 regionals in the East: Albany, Allentown and Worcester. Why would this be? It seems to me that having 50% of the regionals in the west and 50& in the east would make more sense. Plus, the Final Four is in Boston. Whaaaaa? Of course other years I suppose three out of four were in the west, who knows? It just seems weird that teams like Michuigan, Notre Dame, Western Michigan, etc. are all playing in the east when their fan base is in the west. Whats the logic? And Boston is as far east as it gets :-(

Leave a comment:

• Gate Raider
    replied
    I've been a raider fan for decades and followed the team closely this season. I was curious if anyone knew the reason why one of the assistant coaches never wears a tie when he is on the bench. Colgate University is a prestigious school, and the dress down approach is something I do not see from other coaches throughout the country. If there is a medical reason why he doesn't wear a tie I completely understand.

Leave a comment:

• Rightnut
    replied
    Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Benson to BC? Ya gotta be kidding. So the ECAC is just a farm club league for the HE and other "Big Boys?" Sheesh!
    He's a senior and a good student. Probably wants to get a graduate degree. Can't argue with that. Colgate needs to beef up its graduate programs. A grad degree in Education is not a big draw for a lot of players who want to go to grad school.
    Last edited by Rightnut; 03-27-2022, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ColSkate65
    replied
    Benson to BC? Ya gotta be kidding. So the ECAC is just a farm club league for the HE and other "Big Boys?" Sheesh!

Leave a comment:

• sshablak
    replied
    Anyone else have no audio for ESPNU and ESPN2 ?? Harvard's getting spanked 3-0 in second.

Leave a comment:

• DLG
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Surprised since BC is bringing in a top notch goalie
    I am fearful ECAC and Ivies particularly will be permanently hurt by transfer portal and change in rules

Leave a comment:

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied
    Benson is gone.

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...t1QbCxn0Q&s=19

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenCoat
    replied
    very good question Marmot...lots of issues here, including DV's future for starters...not sure if he has one more year on current agreement...he's coached for, I think, 29 years, taking the 2003-04 season to serve as interim AD...so next year would be his 30th in Hamilton...I do think Colgate benefitted from the Ivies, along with RPI and Union to some degree, trashing their respective 2020-21 seasons...just take a look at the Pairwise and note - with the exception of (typically) Cornell and Harvard - the cellar dwellers...then we have the impact of COVID and the transfer portal...last season we kept two graduate players, but lost two quality defensemen...can (and will) Griffin Lunn, e.g., stay for another year in Hamilton? How about Mitch Benson? The incoming class looks OK, but not great...some may be deferred to 2023 for both development reasons AND the potential for graduate players staying in Hamilton...and can we actually bring in some grad transfers? It certainly didn't hurt Q-Pac and several other teams...the Ivies are structured such that gaining grad transfers is almost impossible...I honestly don't know where we stand on this issue...Bottom Line: college hockey remains in a state of flux, with the rich getting richer generally...middle tier programs have to think a little out of the box and I am not convinced our program has that capability...Note also the paucity of 2023 recruits; this maybe tied to a good-sized 2022 class and the transfer questions...I have a lot of questions but few answers...Progress? Yes, but "tangible progress"? God I hope so...I'm not getting any younger...

Leave a comment:

• Marmot
    replied
    So, honestly, now that the season is in the books, where does everyone think the program stands? Was this season the sign of tangible progress or an outlier? I am curious as to what everyone thinks.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by sk8tronthepond
    Benson has entered the transfer portal.
    Old news.

Leave a comment:

• Magoo
    replied
    Well stated Greencoat.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenCoat
    replied
    Whether one likes it or not, the ECAC desperately needs Q-Pac...and personally I applaud Rand Pecknold and his program...ECAC Hockey is lucky to have two teams in the NCAAs this year, in part because fully 50% of the league resided in the bottom fifth of the Pairwise...yes, you can throw a few shots at their somewhat "liberal" recruiting requirements, but this league needs a team to emulate in its commitment to success year-in and year out...too many ECAC programs seem to be content to play .500 hockey and this is reflected in our aggregate out-of-conference record...and, truth be told, their students support the program...

Leave a comment:

• ColSkate65
    replied
    Could I just butt in here and say congrats to the team on a great season? Special kudos to the seniors! It was an up and down season as many have opined, but a fantastic last third that propelled them into 5th place in the league and a trip to LP. Yes, it's a successful season as far as I'm concerned. Any time you get to Placid, it's good stuff. Hope we are finally on the path upward as a program, can continue to add speed and depth, and can knock off those four top teams regularly in the future. Our wins over SUNY Ithaca were the highlight. BTW, should QU be playing in HE and not the ECAC??

Leave a comment:

• iowabasedtraveler
    replied
    Thanks, Shabby. I purchased the Worcester and Albany tickets last night after the Selection Show. I am staying in Worcester. I also have my Frozen Four tickets and accommodations for Boston, and I will be joined by my Frozen Foursome… Alaska Mike (a Minnesota grad), 43-year-season-ticket-holder Clarkson Doug and Dartmouth Doug (whose son played for Dartmouth and who now plays for the ECHL South Carolina Stingrays). Native Canadian Clarkson Doug was thrilled to meet Pierre McGuire at Colgate’s pre-game reception in Lake Placid. It remains a good life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X