Minnesota State 2021-22 Meet the new conference- same as the old conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meh. This is better...

Minnesota State's McKay named 2022 Hobey Baker Award winner - College Hockey | USCHO.com

Comment

• Congrats on the Hobey- second goalie, ever. Not an easy task.

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        What a bizarro message to tell college hockey that a goalie who was never good enough in any single season to win the Richter is somehow the best overall player. Clearly a tip o' the hat career achievement award. Which is weird, since that's not what the Hobey actually is awarded for.
        agreed but Hobey Baker has always seemed to be a bit of a political object (looks at Connor Hellebuyck)
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Sorry guys. Just a bad break. next year.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• You guys had an amazing team. Worthy finalists. I raise my glass to you.
            Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
            www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

• So many great memories from this year. Proud of everything the guys accomplished on and off the ice. Tough ending (though there's no shame in losing to a team that good), but still a great day to be a Maverick!

Comment

• I was really pulling for you guys.
                “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Originally posted by devildog View Post
                  I was really pulling for you guys.

That's one thing that will stick with me. Walking around Boston, so many people went out of their way to tell us this exact thing. Now, I get it, people may just be blowing smoke, but it was pretty cool. Additionally, I get it may have been because of who the other 3 teams were.

This team did themselves proud. They played their hearts out. They didn't try to rest on their laurels. They probably played the worst period that they have played in 2 years (outside of maybe the NMU game last year). Fans seemed to really love the energy they played with and were an easy team to root for. It obviously wasn't the end we all wanted, but it was certainly a fun ride.
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Initially have to admit I was disappointed as I think anyone who has watched them all season can agree that the 3rd period just wasn't what we are used to seeing. Give Denver credit. Goal 2/3 were nice. Goal 1 McKay would want back but those happen. I feel like that goals 1/2 happening so close together never gave MSU time to regain themselves. All that said you won't win many games scoring 1 goal and getting so few shots on net towards the end. They had their chances early to create a bigger cushion it just didn't happen. I felt game was a lot closer then 5-1 makes it look. It happens now time to reload and see what the next group can do I went to MSU starting in 2000. Never left the area and attend most games. I remember those ROUGH years so the fact that losing that game is disappointing says it all. This is our new standard.

All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                      I went to MSU starting in 2000. Never left the area and attend most games. I remember those ROUGH years so the fact that losing that game is disappointing says it all. This is our new standard.
                      The 2000-2001 season was my first year of season tickets. The 2019-20 squad not getting a chance to see what they could do was hard to take. That was a really good team. This was just crushing.
                      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Rumor mill:

Hastings --> BC
                        Hastings --> BU
                        Hastings --> Sparty
                        Hastings --> UofM
                        Hastings --> Red Wings (OK, I made that one up)

Any of the Mankato faithful have something to share from the opposite side of the rumor mill? As much as I hate how he kicks the CCHA's ***, I'd also hate for him to leave.

Comment

• As far as we know publicly, he's very happy. He's been given everything he's asked for to this point. He makes good money. The community loves him. His family has been supported to the max through some tough health issues. He seems to be comfortable and likes where he's at, but who knows from the.outside.

Just for kicks, I did a COLA adjustment from mankato to boston, and for him to have the same buying power he would need to make over $600k. I'm sure both of the Boston schools could and would offer that, but who knows how motivating that is?

Another thing to think about is whether he wants to be the guy that builds a national power and helps create a new program everyone wants to be at or if he wants to be another coach (albeit a great one) that maintains a program.
                          Last edited by Bale; 04-26-2022, 06:22 PM.
                          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                            As far as we know publicly, he's very happy. He's been given everything he's asked for to this point. He makes good money. The community loves him. His family has been supported to the max through some tough health issues. He seems to be comfortable and likes where he's at, but who knows from the.outside.

Just for kicks, I did a COLA adjustment from mankato to boston, and for him to have the same buying power he would need to make over $600k. I'm sure both of the Boston schools could and would offer that, but who knows how motivating that is?

Another thing to think about is whether he wants to be the guy that builds a national power and helps create a new program everyone wants to be at or if he wants to be another coach (albeit a great one) that maintains a program.
                            How would his formula for success work in AA or Boston? Those type of schools are more reliant on one and done players than the 3-4 year kids who work at getting better. Would those fanbases be patient enough with the time it would take to implement his system? Would that perceived "level" of player be willing to commit to the work needed to play for him?

To me, Sparty has nothing to offer other than being a B1G team. He would go from being "The Man" to being the third program to support, at best, within the athletic department and a virtual unknown around town/campus.

Mankato is a college hockey juggernaut. They were 20 minutes away from being NCAA champions. Why would he leave that to go somewhere else and start all over?

Comment

• People always ask why would someone leave. Money would be one thing. Another would be simply wanting a new challenge. His son goes to school in Boston. Unless you have a personal relationship with Hastings, tough for anyone to really know what he thinks. There's been little to no reporting on any of this other than Michigan State and BU allegedly kicking the tires.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                                As far as we know publicly, he's very happy. He's been given everything he's asked for to this point. He makes good money. The community loves him. His family has been supported to the max through some tough health issues. He seems to be comfortable and likes where he's at, but who knows from the.outside.

the cost of living in east lansing is -way- less than in boston. and while the boston schools have the money (and his kid is there), MSU has way more for this hire in specific (they can't afford to get the wrong coach of the third time). ann arbor could be a possibility too i guess since it's looking like mel pearson et al ain't coming back.

he is a classy guy... whatever he does, will be done right and will turn out to be positive for the team he goes to and even MNSU (here is looking at you knott).

but hey, as a tech fan, i hope he stays in mankato... he is a huge asset to the CCHA.

GO TECH GOLD!
                                Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 04-27-2022, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X