Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern 2021-22: Our Doggie Dish Runneth Over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern 2021-22: Our Doggie Dish Runneth Over?

If ever there was a poster child for the idea of championship teams being built from the goal out, then the 2021-22 edition of the Northeastern Huskies is it. Start with soph goaltender Devon Levi, who dazzled for Canada in last year’s WJC. An injury sustained in that series shelved him for the rest of the season, so he has yet to see his first shot as a Husky. But if Levi retains the brilliance he showed in the WJC, then NU becomes a team to be reckoned with, no matter what.

But Levi won’t have to do it all by himself. He’ll be playing behind a skilled, veteran defense headed by Beanpot hero Jordan Harris, who spurned the Montreal Canadiens to return to NU for his senior season. Then there’s fellow senior Julian Kislin and juniors Jeremie Bucheler and Jaden Struble, another touted Habs pick. And throw in Michigan State grad transfer Tommy Miller for even more depth.

The experience level, however, is shallower up front where the roster numbers only two seniors compared with 11 sophomores and freshmen. Leadership will fall to juniors Aiden McDonough, Riley Hughes, and highly regarded Bentley senior transfer Jakov Novak. The all-sophomore Wolfjack Line (the Jackson twins and Gunnarwolfe Fontaine) is back along with WJC veteran Sam Colangelo, another soph, who was nagged by injuries last year. Then there’s arguably the best freshman class ever, headed by Jack Hughes (brother of Riley), Ryan St. Louis (son of Marty) and Justin Hrycowian, whose younger brother is in the pipeline. Another concern might be that other than McDonough, Colangelo, and Novak, the forwards tend to be a bit undersized though that didn’t stop the Wolfjacks from putting up 18 goals and 41 points in last year’s troubled season.

And with Jim Madigan moving up to become Athletic Director, the highly regarded and much sought after Jerry Keefe finally gets a chance to call the shots with Mike Levine coming in from the Vegas Golden Knights organization as Associate Head Coach. NHL veteran Mike Condon succeeds the venerable Ed Walsh as volunteer goaltending coach.

Bottom line: Following the lead of their women’s hockey counterparts and despite the youth up front, this is arguably the best men’s hockey organization ever assembled at Northeastern. Barring accidents, injuries, and the unexpected, it should be a fun year on Huntington Ave.
    Last edited by Split-N; 09-26-2021, 03:45 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

So NU opens with B-B-B-B-Bentley? That Bentley? The very thought of Bentley makes me break out in hives. They historically play their best hockey against the Huskies. One interesting wrinkle to this year's matchup is highly regarded Bentley senior transfer Jakov Novak. Revenge on Novak or Novak's Revenge???

Comment

It was a total great performance for an opening game with our hounds new head coach at the helm. Picked 5th in the HE coaches poll, and 18th in the nation after this shut out performance. I am not sure what to expect but will be happy to be back at the barn after nearly a 2 year hiatus.

Comment

Actually, they were picked 4th, just a hair behind BC; then a big drop between 4th & 5th. They'll get a better test this weekend at the Icebreaker from QPac, which demolished Maine last weekend. Hoping they don't look past Holy Cross on Friday.

(Wondering if QPac is that good or Maine is that bad. Or just a one of those freak opening weekend results.)

Comment

Hryckowian in for Agro tonight giving us an all-freshman and very talented 4th line. Can't remember the last time we've had very solid Hockey East players as healthy scratches because of our depth. Excited to see this line-up tonight and then a good test tomorrow vs QU.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Im digging Levi's start!

Comment

After dominating 2 Atlantic Hockey teams, it got real today. The defense looked as well organized as a circus fire in the first period. The team didn't look like they were ready to play today. They had a hard time effectively breaking through the Quinnipiac blue line and keeping any kind of possession going in the offensive zone. I'd like to see some guys step up and start contesting that space in front of the opponent's net. Credit to Quinnipiac, they were the real deal.
              Levi so far has been pretty good at coming out and playing the puck with his stick.
              Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
                After dominating 2 Atlantic Hockey teams, it got real today. The defense looked as well organized as a circus fire in the first period. The team didn't look like they were ready to play today. They had a hard time effectively breaking through the Quinnipiac blue line and keeping any kind of possession going in the offensive zone. I'd like to see some guys step up and start contesting that space in front of the opponent's net. Credit to Quinnipiac, they were the real deal.
                Levi so far has been pretty good at coming out and playing the puck with his stick.
                . Exactly. This is what I saw in a nut shell. Not sure what they need to do but aside from Levi they looked flat and lost. I am not expecting much this season and I don't think they should be ranked in the top 20, that said QU is a top team.

Comment

Not much I can add to what has already been said. QPac was big and mobile, and might have done NU a favor by exposing some basic vulnerabilities early on. Stuck around for the BC game and thought they looked just as big and mobile as QPac. That being said, Holy Cross more or less stuck with them once they got past their early 3-goal heebie-jeebies.

Comment

I really REALLY want to believe something more right now. But after what we saw last year, and so far this season, this is what they are (until they prove themselves otherwise): a high-rated, high-potential roster that plays sloppy and can't beat anyone good. I can't wait for this to be proven wrong. Again, they can't own the front of either net. The power play - usually a source of strength and pride - has been a total dud. I'm so tired of hearing how highly regarded all these recruits are - the reality is, either they're overrated and underperforming, or we're just a mediocre team that's been talked up way too much. Until they prove otherwise. I'm waiting.
                    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

I was there. We played well for 1/2 of the 2nd period when we evened the shots and actually, went up 2 to 1. However BC is way more talented, bigger and stronger on the puck. We could have lost this game by 5 goals. LEVI is adequate. However, its going to be a long season people. Anyway it was nice to see my 1st LIVE HE game in 20 months. Our PP is pathetic we had a 5 min major with not one good chance...and the one we finally got was when BC had already won. Not sure there is much positive to say.

Comment

This McDonough kid though... jeezuz.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

No whining here. The better team won.

But to put things in perspective, NU was without two starting Dmen. Jordan Harris going down as early as he did made three starters on the shelf. Which means they played substantially the whole game with five Dmen, two of which would usually be healthy scratches.

That, however, doesn't explain the lack of production from the offense which--so far--seems to be Aiden McDonough and not much else.
                          Last edited by Split-N; 10-16-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            No whining here. The better team won.

That, however, doesn't explain the lack of production from the offense which--so far--seems to be Aiden McDonough and not much else.
                            On paper so talented, but what I saw last night from NU was sporadic flashes of what could eventually become brilliant hockey with and hint of a lack of chemistry. They may be able to fix that in time, so I am relatively optimistic. Although, I am really thinking they seemed a little weak on the puck last night and are far smaller than BC up and down. Even though they were scrappy they seamed weaker.

Then BC loses to Bentley tonight. BU lost to SC last night and beat them tonight but they look terrible. I see a lot of complaining on the traditional power school threads on this forum, Boohoo. The fact is that there is a great deal more parity in today's college hockey and for the most part anybody can now beat anybody on any given weekend, and that's new to the BC and BU fans. That said BC was the better team last night.

Comment

Jack Hughes nets the only goal of the game for a clutch OOC win vs a CC team who have disappointed this season other than a surprise win @BC last night.

We need more production from our forwards. We should be scoring more than we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X