No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 21-22: Your Guess Is As Good As Mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright side: Wisconsin athletic department just gained 6 seats, center ice, lower bowl that they can sell to someone who has had too much thinner to understand they’re getting screwed over as fans.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• They extended Granato another year. I am sorry, but that's too much for me. Absolute baloney.....do I continue to support UW hockey when they don't care about me or any other fan?

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/sta...99592572936193
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• At least they also restructured? Maybe it’ll still be as cheap to ditch him later?

https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...601208321?s=21
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          At least they also restructured? Maybe it’ll still be as cheap to ditch him later?

https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...601208321?s=21
          That has to be a lowering of the buyout as part of the one year extension. I'm convinced. He's getting the Harbaugh treatment. Jim proceeded to have a monster year.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

That has to be a lowering of the buyout as part of the one year extension. I'm convinced. He's getting the Harbaugh treatment. Jim proceeded to have a monster year.
            I'm NOT holding my breath, son. More NHL money for next year, YES!!

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s going to happen. Totally different situation. We don’t have near the talent Michigan had in football. And TG talked about 21-22 centering around defense and they finished in the bottom 10 of 59 teams.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Sorry, that wasn't a prediction from me. This could go like Steve Addazio at BC. One year extension with lower buyout and then fired after the next season.

Comment

Better to not have a lame duck coach for recruiting purposes...
                  This is the biggest scam coaches and agents ever perpetrated - these phony one year extensions do nothing for recruiting and everything for the coaches' pocket books...

UW obviously bought into this myth and theyre keeping up 'appearances', but if they want to fire him next year they will - it will just cost them more. No objective recruit or advisor will be fooled by the circumstances.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

This is the biggest scam coaches and agents ever perpetrated - these phony one year extensions do nothing for recruiting and everything for the coaches' pocket books...

UW obviously bought into this myth and theyre keeping up 'appearances', but if they want to fire him next year they will - it will just cost them more. No objective recruit or advisor will be fooled by the circumstances.
                    I think you missed the part about his contract being reworked. It's not gonna cost them more.

Comment

I think you missed the part about his contract being reworked. It's not gonna cost them more.
                      Oh, of course it will - one way or another. Most certainly to some degree financially, even if the deal was reworked not to be prohibitive.

That said, you're smart enough to know my post was a general response to your assertion that coaches needed, and schools must offer, an extra year to avoid lame duck status and hindering recruiting. Coaches want extensions for a number of reasons, notably job security and money earned, none of which include fears of losing respect or recruits. Those are just the reasons they float to get the former (because that's what scares fans, thus influencing administrators)...

If you can't coach or recruit on a one year deal, I've got news for you - you can't coach or recruit.

Look no further than Mel Pearson, who apparently worked on a one year deal this season and managed a great deal of success, while building one of the best classes in the country.

Wisconsin wasn't ready to fire Granato - that's their decision, perhaps influenced by his willingness to sell out an assistant or perhaps because they won a Big Ten title just two seasons ago - but there was no benefit to UW to extend him if theyre wavering on their future together. That benefit entirely shifts to the coach (deserved or otherwise). As it always does in these situations.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• That was not an assertion on my part. Just that that seems to be the consensus in sports. I am not against going with a lame duck. I was ****ed when BC gave Steve Addazio an extra year just to lower the buyout. My guess would be the same will happen with Granato. He'll be fired after next season and the whole charade was a waste of time.

Comment

• To add on to that, who is going to want Strobel's job now? The writing is on the wall. Unless UW forces someone on Granato who they think can take over as HC. It's looking like that's what BU did when they brought in Jay Pandolfo as an assistant this year. Now he's probably gonna get the HC job.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/sta...92358729584640

We will likely know who the new assistant is next week.....

Comment

• TDM is digging into the language changes in TG's revised contract. Apparently he filed an open records request to see it but since both parties have not signed it yet that request was denied. Maybe things are not as bleak long term, one has to think the revised contract gives UW an easier out. One thing I had forgotten about is if he get fired and gets another job, that amount he's getting paid reduces the amount UW owes him.

The problem with retaining him is Watts defines a successful season next year? Is .500 ok since he is implementing a new recruiting philosophy that he has had no time to essentially start? Or is next year a freebee due to this recruiting philosophy change will have had zero impact on next year?
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                TDM is digging into the language changes in TG's revised contract. Apparently he filed an open records request to see it but since both parties have not signed it yet that request was denied. Maybe things are not as bleak long term, one has to think the revised contract gives UW an easier out. One thing I had forgotten about is if he get fired and gets another job, that amount he's getting paid reduces the amount UW owes him.

The problem with retaining him is Watts defines a successful season next year? Is .500 ok since he is implementing a new recruiting philosophy that he has had no time to essentially start? Or is next year a freebee due to this recruiting philosophy change will have had zero impact on next year?
                                Pretty good article from Jeff Potrykus in Journal Sentinal.

https://twitter.com/jaypo1961/status...33280261316608

https://twitter.com/jaypo1961/status...46416921350145 Hit up his Twitter for some comments from the article.

It sounds like he is getting a do-over, which is wrong IMO. He also stresses competing in the Big7, when frozen fours and national titles should realistically be the goal.
                                Last edited by WiscTJK; 04-28-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X