Wisconsin Hockey 21-22: Your Guess Is As Good As Mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Almington View Post

As I said previously, I could write a novel on the fan gameday experience and culture. I will try and be brief. What it was before 2013, before UW left the WCHA is dead and will need to be rebuilt from the ground up.
    The fan culture and experience was dying well before then, if you ask me.

I could tell a notable difference in the atmosphere in the Kohl during the 2005-06 and 2009-10 campaigns: The fans weren’t as loud, the student section less full, the band was more regularly being shut out in favor of canned music on the PA system.

Those were two winning seasons, each before the Penn State announcement, so I’m going to say that the root cause goes deeper. And I’m probably not even qualified to guess what exactly that cause was. I usually point to the canned music, but perhaps that’s more of a symptom than a cause.

Roughly a decade of bad hockey and the loss of a sense of tradition has certainly made all of the problems (exponentially?) worse: going to a Badger game now feels less like a collegiate event and more like a low-rent minor league game. Given that things were trending this way before realignment or the sense that Eaves had to go, I doubt it’s coming back even if the team wins more games and wins back fans.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

The fan culture and experience was dying well before then, if you ask me.

I could tell a notable difference in the atmosphere in the Kohl during the 2005-06 and 2009-10 campaigns: The fans weren’t as loud, the student section less full, the band was more regularly being shut out in favor of canned music on the PA system.

Those were two winning seasons, each before the Penn State announcement, so I’m going to say that the root cause goes deeper. And I’m probably not even qualified to guess what exactly that cause was. I usually point to the canned music, but perhaps that’s more of a symptom than a cause.

Roughly a decade of bad hockey and the loss of a sense of tradition has certainly made all of the problems (exponentially?) worse: going to a Badger game now feels less like a collegiate event and more like a low-rent minor league game. Given that things were trending this way before realignment or the sense that Eaves had to go, I doubt it’s coming back even if the team wins more games and wins back fans.
      Are we on the same track as MSU, Lake Superior State and Michigan Tech who in the 80's - early 00's, 80's, and 60's-70's respectively were top teams in the nation and have dropped off the map? And they have never been able to rebuild that tradition of winning again. That's my huge concern. It might take decades to get back....
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

The fan culture and experience was dying well before then, if you ask me. ...Going to a Badger game now feels less like a collegiate event and more like a low-rent minor league game.
        I agree that it wasn't a sudden switch resulting from realignment. The fan culture decay had begun long before. Although it was before my time at UW, from the stories I have been told, I'd hypothesize that the decay started (or dramatically accelerated) with the move to the Kohl Center and the sanitization of the game experience. More fans in the building will result in more excitement and energy but the lowest common denominator, corporate dictated, sterile environment.

I mentioned 2013 because I view the switch from the WCHA to the BTHC as the point of no return. Long term rivalries were tossed aside, the ability of rival fans to visit was drastically decreased, scheduling changed from the typical Friday/Saturday series all during a time where the team wasn't very (any?) good. It was the PERFECT off point for disillusioned fans to exit. The results from that point to the presence have done nothing to help build/grow/restore rivalries with Michigan and Michigan State which existed before the formation of the CCHA let alone maintain the rivalry with UMN.

Comment

• Here’s the thing, though. I’ve been to Tech games in the past few years when they weren't so hot, and their barn is rocking. I hate to say it, but I think the Kohl Center actually hurts Badger hockey. Unless it is near a sellout it feels empty - even with a crowd size that any other team would salivate over. There is something to be said about the energy of a 5,000- seat arena that is legitimately full and a 15,000-seat arena with 7,000 people in it.

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Are we on the same track as MSU, Lake Superior State and Michigan Tech who in the 80's - early 00's, 80's, and 60's-70's respectively were top teams in the nation and have dropped off the map? And they have never been able to rebuild that tradition of winning again. That's my huge concern. It might take decades to get back....

Comment

• Hey fellas…as somebody who lived for Badger hockey my first 30ish years, it’s sad that I’m completely apathetic at this point. I jumped on the bandwagon late last year only to see a pathetic NCAA showing. For me the move to the Big 10 was the biggest factor. I’d probably still be somewhat engaged, even if they stunk, if they were still playing NoDak, DU, UMD, etc. 4x a year in the WCHA.

But they aren’t, and I’ve found other things to occupy my time with in the winter. At this point I don’t see myself ever becoming a diehard fan again. I’ll jump on the bandwagon if they have a great team, but otherwise I’ll just try to remember to check the boxscores every few weeks.

One thing I’ve noticed since being back in the Madison area for the last couple years is the almost complete lack of coverage on the local news. Usually not even giving a score. That’s pretty telling.

Hope you’re all well!

Comment

• Did they fire anyone yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                Did they fire anyone yet?
                No, Tony has a plan to fix the issues! Don't worry! (read sarcasm)
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• [QUOTE=aktick;n3727744 But they aren’t, and I’ve found other things to occupy my time with in the winter. At this point I don’t see myself ever becoming a diehard fan again. I’ll jump on the bandwagon if they have a great team, but otherwise I’ll just try to remember to check the boxscores every few weeks.

Hope you’re all well![/QUOTE]

I think this is why we will never see the KC filled to the rafters again. Enough of the old core have moved on to other things and they aren't good enough to hook new fans in. Do you think if I saw UW getting pummeled every weekend on PBS at 10:30pm on the tape delay broadcast at night that I am here today? No way.

I am at the point in my life where I can actually afford season tickets and I have the time to use them. Now it's just sad that they suck so bad I don't want to spend the money on them. It also sucks when you go to watch them on tv and your goal for them is not not embarrass themselves.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Just hire Hastings already!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

I think this is spot on. Wisconsin is now the Michigan Tech of the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s. Was once great but that is now ancient history no kid playing today was alive to witness Wisconsin’s greatness. Hell, their parents (if they were paying attention) only caught the tail end of it.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Just hire Hastings already!!
                        Or Sandelin.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Just hire Hastings already!!
                          I said that 6 years ago. I say that today.... Or Tim Coughlin. I also think there is no way either one of them leaves their current team.

Comment

• Still no interest in Rohlik? Has done a great job at a school where hockey is a complete non factor. They seem to be in the tournament or in contention for it every year now.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Still no interest in Rohlik? Has done a great job at a school where hockey is a complete non factor. They seem to be in the tournament or in contention for it every year now.
                              Hasn't been successful enough.

Comment

• I can see that but seems a bit harsh in that he's at Ohio State. Only Penn State with less "history" than them in the Big Ten.

Comment

Working...
                                X