Wisconsin Hockey 21-22: Your Guess Is As Good As Mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm preparing myself for the fact that TG will likely be back, due to the buyout costs of his contract. And if that happens, he may well have to replace both assistants, just like they did to Eaves, to shorten the contract / buyout by one year (he won't get the auto 1 year extension this year). I don't know how they get around that unless some alumni and / or former player(s) ponies up the buyout cash. It didn't work for Eaves, and I suspect it won't work for TG either. The only way they can justify the buyout is if the attendance figures / concessions are as bad as I believe they are. I suspect they are in the red by a large amount. Hockey was a revenue generator in the past.
    The school as SO much money from FB and MBB that they can easily afford the buyout (and on top know they will increase revenue with the change). Maybe TG would do the honorable thing and forgo the buyout for his beloved university and just quit when they call him in to fire him.

I can't handle another season of this, no one can and there is zero evidence that next season will be any better.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Long time, no chat... I recognize a few names here from past years (solovsfett, Timothy A., and MCR... where's Joey V!?). I am rarely here these days but thought I'd chime in (not at all trolling here)

Curious on your opinions on how UW has approached recruiting in MN during the last handful of years.

When I think of UW at its best, they usually did a good job of recruiting top kids from the state of Minnesota. Not that UW has been completely void of this (and have a few in the pipeline now) but it seems like they aren't ending up with as many of the high caliber ones as they once were.

Putting the Gophers aside (for obvious reasons), my hypothesis is the rise of UMD in the last decade (and to a lesser degree SCSU) has definitely hurt UW's effectiveness in landing more top guys from the State of Hockey... and this has impacted them on the ice (side note: I understand UW wanting to support in-state Wisc. talent with more opportunities too).

With St. Thomas providing another Twin Cities area D1 option moving forward (capitalizing on the "play close to home and get a good education" narrative), it will be interesting to see how UW does in the coming years within MN. It is probably not going to get any easier for them
      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        Long time, no chat... I recognize a few names here from past years (solovsfett, Timothy A., and MCR... where's Joey V!?). I am rarely here these days but thought I'd chime in (not at all trolling here)

Curious on your opinions on how UW has approached recruiting in MN during the last handful of years.

When I think of UW at its best, they usually did a good job of recruiting top kids from the state of Minnesota. Not that UW has been completely void of this (and have a few in the pipeline now) but it seems like they aren't ending up with as many of the high caliber ones as they once were.

Putting the Gophers aside (for obvious reasons), my hypothesis is the rise of UMD in the last decade (and to a lesser degree SCSU) has definitely hurt UW's effectiveness in landing more top guys from the State of Hockey... and this has impacted them on the ice (side note: I understand UW wanting to support in-state Wisc. talent with more opportunities too).

With St. Thomas providing another Twin Cities area D1 option moving forward (capitalizing on the "play close to home and get a good education" narrative), it will be interesting to see how UW does in the coming years within MN. It is probably not going to get any easier for them
        Hey stranger.....I think over the last 10 years UW hasn't done well in recruiting period due to the coaches/results more than anything. Eaves lost the recruiting touch but could coach, whereas TG can recruit better but can't coach. This year's Fr are from WI 3, Alberta 2, MN 1, MO 1 with some highly regarded guys. Next year is MN 2, IL 1 Ontario 1, Saskatchewan 1 with 3 out of the 5 decently regarded. I have no idea but wish I did know who TG was going after that he didn't get, ie who is he losing out to? Other B16 teams or regional teams like UMD and St. Cloud? That would be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
          Long time, no chat... I recognize a few names here from past years (solovsfett, Timothy A., and MCR... where's Joey V!?). I am rarely here these days but thought I'd chime in (not at all trolling here)

You have a great point with the rise of UMD and SCSU. IMO the decline started in 94 and 95 recruiting years forward with the obvious omission of eaves first 6 years. Wisconsin lost out on several kids they would normally get: Matt Pettinger (du), Cullen and Parrish (SCSU), Darren Clark (CC) etc and it got worse during the end of the Eaves era and entire Granato era.

sauer’s 90 championship team had a TON of minnesota talent. And imo, to be successful at Wisconsin they need 5-6 great Canadian players and and 6-8 Minnesotans as a base. Players like Ranheim, Osiecki, Sean Hill, McDonagh, Stepan, Etc from minnesota. Guys like Heatley, Reinprecht, Shuchuk et all from canada.

The less Wisconsin born players there are on the team the better the skill level imo. Wisconsin just doesn’t play good high school hockey. All of the limited talent pool plays soccer, football or basketball.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Todd is a great writer but some of these ticket holders are delusional. Your personal belief in the state of the program right now will determine which ones!

https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...795899397?s=21
            Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-02-2022, 10:45 PM.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              Todd is a great writer but some of these ticket holders are delusional. Your personal belief in the state of the program right now will determine which ones!

https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...795899397?s=21
              Hop on his Twitter account and state your opinions! Reality must be bludgeoned into some people. People need to understand this from a objective point of view. It's not personal.....it's strictly business.

Comment

• TM's article was a direct result of being the only beat writer that covers hockey in WI. It was a "how do I write an article stating TG is on the hot seat without it being my words?" I was dissappointed and its intellectually dishonest. He should feel free to give honest assessments on the state of the program.

We gotta stop talking about the 70s and 80s. It was amazing, but hockey is 100% different now than then. The modern era of hockey didnt start until 1992 for goodness sake.

The point about SCSU and UMD rise is a good point, but look at our all time record against Big10 teams too. It aint good, and that includes when Mich, Mich St, ND, and MN were in the WCHA. We racked up a lot of wins against the bottom half of the WCHA.

The poor results is an outcome due to multi variables such as stiffer competition, style of play, coaching, player development, recruiting, recruiting landscape, fundraising (something I will write about in the future), and athletic dept priorities. It's a huge beef vegetable pot of problems and no easy fix.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
                  TM's article was a direct result of being the only beat writer that covers hockey in WI. It was a "how do I write an article stating TG is on the hot seat without it being my words?" I was dissappointed and its intellectually dishonest. He should feel free to give honest assessments on the state of the program.

We gotta stop talking about the 70s and 80s. It was amazing, but hockey is 100% different now than then. The modern era of hockey didnt start until 1992 for goodness sake.

The point about SCSU and UMD rise is a good point, but look at our all time record against Big10 teams too. It aint good, and that includes when Mich, Mich St, ND, and MN were in the WCHA. We racked up a lot of wins against the bottom half of the WCHA.

The poor results is an outcome due to multi variables such as stiffer competition, style of play, coaching, player development, recruiting, recruiting landscape, fundraising (something I will write about in the future), and athletic dept priorities. It's a huge beef vegetable pot of problems and no easy fix.
                  There may be no easy fix, but I can promise you the trajectory we are on with TG and OZ is not one of continued success, year after year. They have some of the best resources in NCAA hockey and they are the highest paid I believe. They have not restored anything, except continued losing seasons with one blip year and even that was an under-performance in the end, losing to Minnesota in the Big7 Championship game and Bemidji State in the first round of the NCAA.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• If minnesota and Michigan can navigate the “new landscape” so can Wisconsin for Christ’s Gd sake.

North Dakota, Denver, UMD, all have weathered it just fine. It’s only Wisconsin that has become a joke.
                    Last edited by solovsfett; 03-03-2022, 10:10 AM.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
                      TM's article was a direct result of being the only beat writer that covers hockey in WI. It was a "how do I write an article stating TG is on the hot seat without it being my words?" I was dissappointed and its intellectually dishonest. He should feel free to give honest assessments on the state of the program.
                      I think he falls into the category of being a true journalist, who just reports the facts as he sees them. I appreciate that in him. Nowhere anywhere can we just get the facts without a slant anymore. I think he should leave the opinion piece to the columnists. You can tell though when you watch his facebook deals he struggles not to just blow it up though he knows it has to be done.

Comment

• Mr. Columnist Jim Polzin did an column that was disappointing. He's the guy who should be saying TG has to go. He did not man up. All he did was point out McIntosh has softened his position on TG. Maybe Tom Oates can grow a set and write Watts needs to be written.

Comment

• For the first time I fee like change can occur, there is hope for change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            For the first time I fee like change can occur, there is hope for change.
                            Don't get your hopes up. The $2.4M buyout will be tough to overcome unless some alumni or former players step up. Being TG is UW hockey royalty, the common fans like us will not get what we want I'm afraid....

Comment

• Hi Badger nation, BG guy here. I've been trolling your board all season watching for updates/comments on Max Johnson. He was a MAJOR player for us during his 4 years at BG and I've been surprised at his contribution level this season. Curious on people's thoughts as to the reasons behind this? I'd accept the competition level between the oWCHA and the B1G may have something to do with it, however, the two BG guys who transferred into Nacho programs (one of whom was Johnson's linemate, Cameron Wright, who went to Denver and is continuing to light it up) have had very good seasons.

I'll hang up and listen if anyone has thoughts. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                                Hi Badger nation, BG guy here. I've been trolling your board all season watching for updates/comments on Max Johnson. He was a MAJOR player for us during his 4 years at BG and I've been surprised at his contribution level this season. Curious on people's thoughts as to the reasons behind this? I'd accept the competition level between the oWCHA and the B1G may have something to do with it, however, the two BG guys who transferred into Nacho programs (one of whom was Johnson's linemate, Cameron Wright, who went to Denver and is continuing to light it up) have had very good seasons.

I'll hang up and listen if anyone has thoughts. Thanks.
                                IMO, and my opinion only, there is a lack of a cohesive system, lack of team chemistry, and overall lack of leadership. It's been a train wreck. I feel bad for Max. He looks like he fits right in the Big7, but as with many players that light up juniors or transfer in, they struggle here and it's really not their fault..... We are in the bottom 10 of programs in both defense and offense this year, 1-13 on the road (likely to get worse), I could go on and on.

Comment

Working...
                                X