Wisconsin Hockey 21-22: Your Guess Is As Good As Mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Hello? Knock knock....Hey, um, there is hockey being played for real in a few days. I'd like to see them get through the first 4 games 3-1 before the brutal stretch of St. Cloud, UM, um; get through there .500 overall. Then make a little hay with MSU ND Clarkson and PSU to the Christmas break. Taking inspiration from MJ, the whole season is a building project into March so lets enjoy watching the lads develop.
    I am going Friday and excited to see them in person (even having to wear a mask). I think your optimistic, but we will see.....

Covid has killed mine and many others enthusiasm for sports. That and the "upgrade" of this site which make it much worse than before also isn't helping things....
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Afternoon all, figured it was time for a good posting after lurking a while to observe comments going into the season. First things first:

On the transfer/decommit list, Shay Donovan is listed still...but he definitely is on the roster. Do we know anything about why he decided to stay after entering the transfer portal? Not complaining about the Defensive depth, but just curious.

Alright, let's get into it. I don't put much into the exhibition game against UMD. Concerted effort to get all the goalies in to a game type situation, and they definitely competed and their D got tested. Just tough that there's no posted full game to see what they looked like in the neutral zone, transitions, etc.

In my opinion goalie depth is our strength (for once). Moe transferring in gives us a great 1/2 punch. Don't see that changing next year either, so consistency is key, right?

Love the D depth as well. I look to Inamoto, Peltonen, Kehrer, and Peltonen to continue and teach the D zone awareness that we finally developed last year to lead the way. We all know how bad the weakside D has been in the past coupled with puck watching. It has to be a strength at the outset of the season when we look at the schedule.

Have to continue being gritty without taking dumb penalties. That's killed us as well in the past. Playing a man down for a period per game isn't a recipe for success, but our PK needs to continue to succeed as well.

With pairwise back, those non-conf games against St. Cloud, Mich Tech, Army, Clarkson, and Holiday Faceoff will be important, that's 10 games. All of us know how much that has killed the team in the past (TG's first year, literally one or two Non conf wins or ties against Northern Mich, Merrimack or Clarkson would have gotten us into the tournament). Gelling quickly is going to be important as well if the boys want to have a good shot. There's three mini-seasons, as the way I look at it: Non-Conf, First Conf Slate, Back-End Conf-Slate.

Looking forward to see how they do, and instead of prognosticating, I'm content to sit back and enjoy/observe. Will be at a few road series this year: Penn St, Ohio St, and maybe ND. Cheers all!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
        Afternoon all, figured it was time for a good posting after lurking a while to observe comments going into the season. First things first:

On the transfer/decommit list, Shay Donovan is listed still...but he definitely is on the roster. Do we know anything about why he decided to stay after entering the transfer portal? Not complaining about the Defensive depth, but just curious.

Alright, let's get into it. I don't put much into the exhibition game against UMD. Concerted effort to get all the goalies in to a game type situation, and they definitely competed and their D got tested. Just tough that there's no posted full game to see what they looked like in the neutral zone, transitions, etc.

In my opinion goalie depth is our strength (for once). Moe transferring in gives us a great 1/2 punch. Don't see that changing next year either, so consistency is key, right?

Love the D depth as well. I look to Inamoto, Peltonen, Kehrer, and Peltonen to continue and teach the D zone awareness that we finally developed last year to lead the way. We all know how bad the weakside D has been in the past coupled with puck watching. It has to be a strength at the outset of the season when we look at the schedule.

Have to continue being gritty without taking dumb penalties. That's killed us as well in the past. Playing a man down for a period per game isn't a recipe for success, but our PK needs to continue to succeed as well.

With pairwise back, those non-conf games against St. Cloud, Mich Tech, Army, Clarkson, and Holiday Faceoff will be important, that's 10 games. All of us know how much that has killed the team in the past (TG's first year, literally one or two Non conf wins or ties against Northern Mich, Merrimack or Clarkson would have gotten us into the tournament). Gelling quickly is going to be important as well if the boys want to have a good shot. There's three mini-seasons, as the way I look at it: Non-Conf, First Conf Slate, Back-End Conf-Slate.

Looking forward to see how they do, and instead of prognosticating, I'm content to sit back and enjoy/observe. Will be at a few road series this year: Penn St, Ohio St, and maybe ND. Cheers all!
        Welcome to the board GoBucky18! I definitely understand your viewpoint on the prognosticating. The one thing for sure is it's fun to do but not all that accurate, kinda like the weather people. Great point on the N/C schedule being important with the pairwise, back to normal.

I'm very reserved on Moe's impact. His Fr numbers are good but he was bad last year. I believe Rowe can play at a high level every week and a rotation is not necessary. With only 2 games a week it should not and historically hasn't required a rotation to stay fresh.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Head's up to anyone who subscribed to BTN+ last year to catch the games while we weren't in the arena. I just went in to purchase another year of the hockey (men's and women's) sports pack, and my account had "Football (replays only) as my only subscription and it was scheduled to automatically renew in November. I have never bought a football subscription - or anything other than that one hockey subscription last year - from BTN+. So don't know if it is a wide-ranging bug, but going in to make sure you aren't about to suffer the same renewal fate for something you didn't want might be worth your time if you bought hockey last year!

On Wisconsin!

Comment

It's a great day for hockey!
              Heck yeah!! Let’s Go Red!!

Comment

With some data in, I'm guessing they will not be very good. No defense in this one.

Comment

Lol. Awful.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

I know, I know, we're in the down cycle after last year's peak. 2024 anyone?

Comment

I was happy after the first, no glaring ugliness. 2nd period was beyond horrendous. 3rd period maybe Tech got conservative, but UW played well and generated some decent chances. Urdahl and Malquist stood out on occasion, as did Gorniac, Stange and Matty D.

I'm not going to blame Rowe for any of the goals, but there wasn't any big stops either. Moe played well enough, no goals allowed. I guess you go back to him tomorrow and give Rowe game 1 against Army.

Comment

Boy that was quick.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I was happy after the first, no glaring ugliness. 2nd period was beyond horrendous. 3rd period maybe Tech got conservative, but UW played well and generated some decent chances. Urdahl and Malquist stood out on occasion, as did Gorniac, Stange and Matty D.

I'm not going to blame Rowe for any of the goals, but there wasn't any big stops either. Moe played well enough, no goals allowed. I guess you go back to him tomorrow and give Rowe game 1 against Army.
                          I didn't catch a lot of the game, but I did catch the stretch where the score went from 1-1 to 3-1. Goal #2 for Tech was completely avoidable if DSP just plays the puck at all (which was 100% possible). Goal #3 Ceulemans is just a pylon out front. You have to box those guys out from your goaltender. These are both mistakes that can be fixed for game 2.

Based on that and the box score reading the shots at 40-26 UW, I think we see a better result tomorrow night. I'll actually get to watch that one and give a more in depth analysis.

One other bright spot from the box score: UW won 36 of 56 draws (64%).

Comment

Hello boys, I'm baaaaaack. I know I'm in good company with a few of you; starting year #18 with the MCR handle.

No comments, it's early. I WILL say I was very disappointed because we heard all week how the boys were looking forward to playing in the Kohl in front of fans.

Oh well.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Face offs were a bright spot for sure, especially dominant in the third.

Other than that, lots of room for improvement……. There was urgency in the last 5 - 8 minutes (maybe tech let off the gas). Where was that the rest of the game?

Also, your senior leaders can’t take stupid penalties…..one which I couldn’t see well, but my friend watching on tv said should have been a 5 by Inamoto. Baker tried running his guy. It was obvious and stupid.

Defensive zone play and power play were atrocious…..

Comment

Moe was excellent.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X