RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union beat Dartmouth in OT, 3-2.
    Union finishes in 7th, SLU in 8th, Brown in 9th, Princeton in 10th, Yale in 11th and Dartmouth in 12th.

Comment

• Are you sure about 11th and 12th? Since Dartmouth lost in OT, they earned one point so they ended up tying Yale with 21 points each. They split their season series, with Yale winning in OT in the first meeting and Dartmouth won the second meeting 1-0. Which comes down to total wins (both regulation and OT, no shootouts). If that is tied, then it comes down to records vs. the Top 4.

Comment

• I think Dartmouth wins the tiebreaker over Yale and finishes 11th.

The first tiebreaker is points earned in head-to-head games between two tied teams.

Dartmouth and Yale split their two games, but Yale's win came in overtime, while Dartmouth's came in regulation.

So if I have this arcane new scoring system figured out correctly, Dartmouth ended up with more points than Yale did in those two games.

Comment

• You are correct, Waite21. According to ecachockey.com, the first tie breaker is total points earned in head-to-head matchups. Since Dartmouth’s win came in regulation and Yale’s in OT, Dartmouth earned 4 points to Yale’s 2.

So Dartmouth comes to HFH next weekend, while Yale goes to Colgate.

Comment

• Happy to be corrected on this one! I just didn't know about the tie-breaker sequences.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
              You are correct, Waite21. According to ecachockey.com, the first tie breaker is total points earned in head-to-head matchups. Since Dartmouth’s win came in regulation and Yale’s in OT, Dartmouth earned 4 points to Yale’s 2.

Sounds good. Do we want Yale to beat Colgate? I think we do.

Comment

• I just got around to watching the final moments of the game and the senior ceremony. I can't say I was surprised by anyone other than Helsen (until they introduced his wife and I realized that he may have very good reasons for wanting to get on with his life) but I had been cautiously hoping one or more of the guys that are eligible for the Covid bonus year might take advantage of it. Unless we have some undisclosed commits, we are desperately in need of a few more defensemen (at most 5 returning and only 1 known commit since McDonald is this year's winner of the Huxley Memorial Forever the Enemy award). Smith will undoubtedly be spying the transfer portal for at least one of them. Up front we have some interesting prospects coming in but no big goal scorers to replace 6 guys that scored 51% of our goals (57% if you add the graduating defensemen). Hopefully one or more of the depth guys Smith has been cultivating will break out Linden-style or we are going to struggle even more to score. Fortunately, I think we have our goalie for the next few years so, while we need to add another goalie, we won't need to depend on him for much more than intermittent duty.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                  I just got around to watching the final moments of the game and the senior ceremony. I can't say I was surprised by anyone other than Helsen (until they introduced his wife and I realized that he may have very good reasons for wanting to get on with his life) but I had been cautiously hoping one or more of the guys that are eligible for the Covid bonus year might take advantage of it. Unless we have some undisclosed commits, we are desperately in need of a few more defensemen (at most 5 returning and only 1 known commit since McDonald is this year's winner of the Huxley Memorial Forever the Enemy award). Smith will undoubtedly be spying the transfer portal for at least one of them. Up front we have some interesting prospects coming in but no big goal scorers to replace 6 guys that scored 51% of our goals (57% if you add the graduating defensemen). Hopefully one or more of the depth guys Smith has been cultivating will break out Linden-style or we are going to struggle even more to score. Fortunately, I think we have our goalie for the next few years so, while we need to add another goalie, we won't need to depend on him for much more than intermittent duty.
                  Johnson and Hallbauer are eligible to return along with Helsen, but I don't expect them to. Besides for Smolinski, we need at least two new d-men. I suspect that Smith know who will enter the transfer portal and might be interested. There also could be an additional freshman.

Edit: And hopefully Shirley doesn't return. :-D
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-27-2022, 05:28 AM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You are correct, Waite21. According to ecachockey.com, the first tie breaker is total points earned in head-to-head matchups. Since Dartmouth’s win came in regulation and Yale’s in OT, Dartmouth earned 4 points to Yale’s 2.

I do not know what the rule is for tie breakers, but if you go to the ECAC web site and look at the standings, they have Yale above Dartmouth.
                    I don't know what that means either. Just sayin'
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

• Forget what I just said, We play Dartmouth next week.http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...fschedule.html

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

• Union and SLU still waiting on the Harvard Princeton game to figure out who plays who. I don't think it makes much difference for them as either can play the spoiler role as Princeton did for us up in Lake Placid in 1995!
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Edit: And hopefully Shirley doesn't return. :-D
                          She absolutely, positively doesn't get a Covid redshirt year. If they could have, many would have scheduled her Senior Night years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

She absolutely, positively doesn't get a Covid redshirt year. If they could have, many would have scheduled her Senior Night years ago.
                            Or several years earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              Union and SLU still waiting on the Harvard Princeton game to figure out who plays who. I don't think it makes much difference for them as either can play the spoiler role as Princeton did for us up in Lake Placid in 1995!
                              So here is the potential playoff matchups.
                              Of course RPI-Dartmouth and Colgate-Yale are set.
                              if Princeton loses in any fashion, they will play Union regardless of in regulation, OT, or shootout.
                              If Princeton wins in OT or by shootout, they will finish 9th since they have the tie breaker over Brown and will play at SLU.
                              if Princeton beats Harvard in regulation, they will tie for 8th with SLU and would have to go to the second tie breaker since they split their season series, each winning in regulation time. And I’m too lazy to go through the second tie breaker. If anyone wants to do that, I’ll take your word for it.

Comment

So here is the potential playoff matchups.
                                Of course RPI-Dartmouth and Colgate-Yale are set.
                                if Princeton loses in any fashion, they will play Union regardless of in regulation, OT, or shootout.
                                If Princeton wins in OT or by shootout, they will finish 9th since they have the tie breaker over Brown and will play at SLU.
                                if Princeton beats Harvard in regulation, they will tie for 8th with SLU and would have to go to the second tie breaker since they split their season series, each winning in regulation time. And I’m too lazy to go through the second tie breaker. If anyone wants to do that, I’ll take your word for it.
                                looking like Princeton will not solve Harvard's #1 goalie today and are losing 2-0 late.

Comment

Working...
                                X