This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    If Smith isn't renewed I'm going to be unhappy. Although I'm not thrilled with this season, too many obstacles have been thrown in the team's path to blame it on the coach. Overall, I think he's done a solid job and, if it wasn't for the pandemic, he'd have been extended long ago. Frankly, pandemic or not, it should have been done after year 3. Give us back the second leading scorer for a ranked MTU team and the goaltender that has carried UM-L to the top of Hockey East (plus LIU's leading scorer and two solid defensemen) and we'd have been well-positioned to chase a berth in LP.

We've continued getting recruiting commitments, which has made me cautiously optimistic that Smith has been able give assurances that he will be re-upping (or has already done so) and be their coach when they enroll in Troy.
    Totally agree on all of this.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I agree that Smith should be rehired (and Vines too). He has definitely done a good job considering all of the obstacles he has been able to overcome. I also agree that the fact we have received recent commitments from recruits indicates that he has been told something.

It's hard to believe that we can get a commitment from any true goal scorers who don't have a glaring deficiency in another area in the current circumstances. Among the recruits whom we expect to arrive next fall, Brown and Muzzatti appear to have some talent for scoring goals, but to the extent that we really need.
      I agree with all of this RB. We lost several key players and an Asst. Coach during the shutdown and Smith held it all together quite well in my view. As for goal scorers, we'll need to find them in ways we always have -- either kids who get overlooked or kids who coaches think are in a good spot in their development curve to produce offensively at the D1 level...and I think coaches will tell you sometimes you just get lucky and a kid lands on your lap. Smith has a very even keel -- both behind the bench and in his interviews which I like. If I'm a player I love the fact that I know what the system is and my role in it -- no head games.

I do like that the staff has been bringing in kids from really all over North America as well as Europe and I have some confidence they will fill in some of the holes we have in scoring. Its easy to forget that all of our kids lost a whole year of hockey last year and that is really tough for the players . THe upside this year is that We have a lot of young kids who have gotten a lot of ice time this year, which will only help their development.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I think that we have to keep in mind that when next season starts, Shirley and Lee will not be here.
        So Dave will have to impress his new bosses at that time.
        I hope he stays, but you know what happens when a new boss takes over. He likes to have his own people on his staff.
        I have heard nothing of the A.D. departing, and I suspect it would not be high on the new Chief's immediate task list. But that said, Shirley brought him in out of retirement and he is not a spring chicken ( mid 70s I believe) and having administered a Department through a hellish shutdown during 2+ years of pandemic, it would not shock me if he decided that the beach sounded pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post

Of course, this discussion is more suited for the off season thread (which hopefully won’t be for a while). Just remember that we are still in 5th place with 6 games to go, 4 of which are at HFH. There is still time to turn things around if they can find someone who can score some goals.
          I like your optimism. I feel that way after a potent potable. This weekend will tell me a little bit about what color the sky will be in my world for the next 6 games and the playoffs.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I have heard nothing of the A.D. departing, and I suspect it would not be high on the new Chief's immediate task list. But that said, Shirley brought him in out of retirement and he is not a spring chicken ( mid 70s I believe) and having administered a Department through a hellish shutdown during 2+ years of pandemic, it would not shock me if he decided that the beach sounded pretty good.
            Be careful. Some of us many not be spring chickens any more but we can still throw a hell of a barbecue wing party!
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Let’s go red!!!

Comment

• Cornell game highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql1v5fdIjR0
                Post game interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejx6-LWKgl0
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• There are now only 6 points separating 4th and 10th places in the ECAC. And 6 points was 4 points before inflation.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• If there's one thing Canadians believe they have a right to more than breathing in fresh, bitter cold air without a mask (except when it gets really, really bitter cold then they wear ski masks with their tuques) it's watching hockey. So here's my plan. A few days before senior weekend at the Field House, we recruit some Canadian truckers to block the Hoosick Street, Green Island and Congress Street bridges with "Open the Field House" and "Free RPI Hockey" banners on their trucks. Shirley will have to comply to avoid a major international incident.

Comment

• Comment

• Check @ecachockey for highlights of GWG in last night's Union/Colgate game.
                        Our RPI men's hockey highlights on Youtube are better highlights that the summary @ecachockey is showing.
                        Last edited by fr. joe; 02-12-2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Addamo's goal came in at #2 on the SportsCenter top 10! :-D https://twitter.com/RPI_RedArmy/stat...E9IDKSad2liJHQ

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                            Addamo's goal came in at #2 on the SportsCenter top 10! :-D https://twitter.com/RPI_RedArmy/stat...E9IDKSad2liJHQ
                            Just as our announcers predicted.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• postgame interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Kn6VUIeyc
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Nice to see the president not show up to the freak out last night. At least she was consistent with not caring about the hockey team or athletics till the very end. Lol good news dr McElroy was in attendance and actually did a sit down with perry laskaris after the 1st period. Apparently lee has never seen or used headphones in his life since he was using them like a CIA ear piece the whole time? Lol love it!! As far as the substance of the talk with perry goes it was blah and uninspiring. He did say their working on possibly letting some fans back the last two games. Unbelievably stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X