RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I guess he was just Mr. Wonderful, and yet, he is out of a job. I don't know what he did, and I don't care. But it is obvious that he did something so agregious to one or more persons that it cost him his job.
    I don't have a dog in the fight ... I'm no Union fan. I was merely pointing out that in today's touchy feely world of academia, a blue collar hockey coach who doesn't sugar coat things with his players is often a marked "person". If nothing else, his tone in the interview certainly makes one question the veracity of the anonymous email allegations. Whatever the case, if my suspicions are correct, he'll surface again... probably on a staff in the E or the A.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• In my post I stated I imagine. I never said I knew or had anything other than a gut feeling. You don’t resign from a job of 17 years because someone didn’t like you. During the press conference the AD was asked if it was true Bennett grabbed a player by the shoulder pads. Even that seems pretty benign. It was never confirmed or denied. All I am saying is whatever he did, it was bad enough for him to decide resignation was the correct and only option. My speculation is just that. Speculation. But if it wasn’t that bad why resign?

Comment

• https://***********/ecachockey/statu...39913191583745

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
        Stay hot, Jack Watson. The @RPI_Hockey netminder earns his second #ECACHockey honor of the month after allowing just 1 goal in 2 starts this week, which included a 39-save shutout of Harvard on Tuesday.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Has Watson taken over the #1 job from Marshall? Never thought we would have a goaltender debate this season but that can be a good thing. Who’s between the pipes tonight may give us the answer for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
            .... But if it wasn’t that bad why resign?
            The short answer is that pretty much everyone in academia today is "offended" in some way shape or form.... For a guy like Bennett who is shall we say intense, male and caucasian the odds of surviving even casual or seemingly benign allegations are long to the say least. Even if you believe you are innocent you cannot survive. You cut your losses, wish everyone good luck and move on. I am speculating as are you, but having heard his interview I can't help but think someone's ego got bruised and now he's on the street.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
              Has Watson taken over the #1 job from Marshall? Never thought we would have a goaltender debate this season but that can be a good thing. Who’s between the pipes tonight may give us the answer for now.
              Totally agree ---having two capable goalies is a great thing. My $2.00 bet is that we see Watson tonight, Marshall vs. Princeton and Watson vs. Q. But I'm sure I'll be proven wrong !!

Comment

Has Watson taken over the #1 job from Marshall? Never thought we would have a goaltender debate this season but that can be a good thing. Who’s between the pipes tonight may give us the answer for now.
                I don't think he has taken the job yet, but he definitely has the upper hand. One or two more quality starts, and I think it becomes his permanently the rest of the season.

Comment

• You almost could feel sorry for Marshall. He was the starter his Freshman year, then was benched in favor of Owen Savory, and now that he’s back for his Graduate season, he could up being benched again.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

I don't think he has taken the job yet, but he definitely has the upper hand. One or two more quality starts, and I think it becomes his permanently the rest of the season.
                    If you look at his goals against average and save percentage - and he held those same numbers through enough games to qualify for the listings, he would be ranked in the top few in the country. he has so far certainly earned the chance for an in depth look.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

The short answer is that pretty much everyone in academia today is "offended" in some way shape or form.... For a guy like Bennett who is shall we say intense, male and caucasian the odds of surviving even casual or seemingly benign allegations are long to the say least. Even if you believe you are innocent you cannot survive. You cut your losses, wish everyone good luck and move on. I am speculating as are you, but having heard his interview I can't help but think someone's ego got bruised and now he's on the street.
                      Wicked: I know nothing about this situation other than what is posted here. Since none of us know the details 9and perhaps never will) we should just make very little in the way of comments about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but truthfully, only the parties involved know what happened and if it is either serious or a nothing burger blown out of proportion.

Jenny and I only had one occasion to meet up with Rick Bennett and that was way back in December 1988(i think). We were staying at the old Holiday Inn in Tory as was his Providence team. They beat us in OT (2-1) in an exciting game in the Christmas Tournament and the game ended quite late. We went back to the motel and tried to get to sleep so we could drive back down to NJ early in the morning. Around 1AM there was an incredible ruckus out in the hallway and it was the Providence boys celebrating their somewhat unexpected victory. We went out and asked the boys to hold the noise down a bit and were met with the usual rowdy answers. So Jenny went over to the biggest boy out there, all 6'2" of Rick Bennett. She stands just about 4'10" so you can imagine her looking up at him. She asked nicely if he would help keep the noise down and he gave her a rather sneering look and was about to turn away when she told him if he did not, she would use a sharp implement and cut off a sensitive part of his anatomy and hang them on a pole. We went back into our room. A few minutes later all was quiet and we heard a slight tapping at the door. Jen opened it and it was Bennett who said he simply wanted to apologize to her and he would do what he could to keep the noise from the team down. He was the perfect gentleman.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                        My speculation is just that. Speculation. But if it wasn’t that bad why resign?
                        I intend no comment about the Rick Bennett situation, but I don't think you can draw any conclusions purely from a resignation. There are a lot of potential factors in play. For example, I've seen resignations ensure severance packages that wouldn't otherwise be guaranteed if there was a legal fight. Plus, litigation over termination can sometimes interfere with getting the next job and be very emotionally and financially draining.

Comment

You almost could feel sorry for Marshall. He was the starter his Freshman year, then was benched in favor of Owen Savory, and now that he’s back for his Graduate season, he could up being benched again.
                          I feel bad but only a little bit. The reason being that every time he's lost the job was because he didn't play well enough to keep it. A save percentage below .900 isn't going to cut it

Comment

• I think that Watson took the job last night. His glove and his positioning have been elite since he started at RPI.
                            He keeps his rebounds to the corners and does everything expected of a great goaltender.
                            Now we are working on a small sample size, but it is a spectacular showing so far.
                            I would feel bad for Marshall if the goalies were equal and he lost his job, but to this point, Watson is clearly better, and gives us the best chance to win.
                            Now if we could find a goal scorer...
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

I intend no comment about the Rick Bennett situation, but I don't think you can draw any conclusions purely from a resignation. There are a lot of potential factors in play. For example, I've seen resignations ensure severance packages that wouldn't otherwise be guaranteed if there was a legal fight. Plus, litigation over termination can sometimes interfere with getting the next job and be very emotionally and financially draining.
                              Could not be more in agreement. There is always two sides to a story and both usually come out. But then of course there is the truth, which often we never get to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                I think that Watson took the job last night. His glove and his positioning have been elite since he started at RPI.
                                He keeps his rebounds to the corners and does everything expected of a great goaltender.
                                Now we are working on a small sample size, but it is a spectacular showing so far.
                                I would feel bad for Marshall if the goalies were equal and he lost his job, but to this point, Watson is clearly better, and gives us the best chance to win.
                                Now if we could find a goal scorer...
                                Now that I have seen him a couple times he reminds me a lot of former RPI goalie (and a good one) Jason Kasdorf. Very early to say much but he has a presence in goal. Given a good set or two of defensemen in front of him with good communication, can be capable of making opposing forwards have to think more about trying to find a way to get one past him. Current save percentage and GAA would rank him in the top 3 I believe. Would like to see him play in person - and this Friday might be our chance as it is only 55 minute drive. I have been told Princeton updated their attendance policy for indoor events as of yesterday and this morning I went out early and did not see my shadow.

Comment

Working...
                                X