RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    I hate to say it but i think we over-rated this team. I know it's unrealistic to expect a team to play flat out for 60 minutes, but it's getting tiring to see them skate and press for 15-20 minutes a game and cruise through the rest. I wonder if its a gap in leadership. Ture Linden is one of my favorite players in that he plays a solid 2-way game and I'll bet is a real leader in the locker room. He's a Patrice Bergeron type. But sometimes you need to complement that kind of leader with a guy that can shake things up on the ice with a high-speed hustle play or a hit - a Brad Marchand type that can get the team going and change momentum. Yes, it's probably unfair to use as examples NHL all-stars and big-time scorers, but one of my favorite RPI leaders of the second type was CJ Lee, who was hardly a big goal scorer but seemed to always skate hard and generate a lot of key hustle plays.
    They were very close both weekend games. They missed #23 Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

They were very close both weekend games. They missed #23 Johnson.
      I agree they missed Johnson. It also can't be much fun playing in an empty building. However, the fact that they lost two close games at home against teams from the bottom tier of the standings reinforces the view that we are a team from the bottom tier. I didn't expect to finish in the top 3, but I did expect us to be solidly positioned for home ice in the first round and at least have a shot at the final bye. The funny thing is that we are currently tied for 5th so we should be right where I hoped, but we are much, much closer to 11th place than we are to 4th. So far the ECAC is 4 quality teams plus everybody else. I would hope to at least be solidly among the top of "everybody else" but we haven't been able to separate ourselves from that group.

Comment

I agree they missed Johnson. It also can't be much fun playing in an empty building. However, the fact that they lost two close games at home against teams from the bottom tier of the standings reinforces the view that we are a team from the bottom tier. I didn't expect to finish in the top 3, but I did expect us to be solidly positioned for home ice in the first round and at least have a shot at the final bye. The funny thing is that we are currently tied for 5th so we should be right where I hoped, but we are much, much closer to 11th place than we are to 4th. So far the ECAC is 4 quality teams plus everybody else. I would hope to at least be solidly among the top of "everybody else" but we haven't been able to separate ourselves from that group.
        We just don't win the games that we should win and that is what will keep up near the bottom of the league.
        We played this weekend with no energy and no urgency. A total of 15 minutes for the weekend, we looked like a team that wanted to win. That is not nearly enough.
        Johnson is good, but he is not a catalyst. We need someone to energize this team and we haven't found that person yet.
        Maybe he will show up tomorrow night.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

• I still think the team will do well for the rest of the season. Yes, they lost, but lets not forget we had a skeleton crew last weekend, and I am sure they are tired. On top of that you had guys coming back from Covid. Having had Covid myself, my experience was that it physically drains you, and it does takes longer than 10 days to get back to feeling a 100%. Also, the lines are still getting juggled a lot, which also makes it hard to find a groove. I am not trying to make excuses for the team, it's just the way I see it right now. I think the team will do better as time goes on. I am still very optimistic about this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
            I still think the team will do well for the rest of the season. Yes, they lost, but lets not forget we had a skeleton crew last weekend, and I am sure they are tired. On top of that you had guys coming back from Covid. Having had Covid myself, my experience was that it physically drains you, and it does takes longer than 10 days to get back to feeling a 100%. Also, the lines are still getting juggled a lot, which also makes it hard to find a groove. I am not trying to make excuses for the team, it's just the way I see it right now. I think the team will do better as time goes on. I am still very optimistic about this team.
            Great points all.... they were shorthanded and the kids they had dressed may not all have been 100% We just don't know. Here's hoping they can return to full strength and go on a roll down the stretch!
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Great points all.... they were shorthanded and the kids they had dressed may not all have been 100% We just don't know. Here's hoping they can return to full strength and go on a roll down the stretch!
              I hope you are right, but we're not the only team dealing with pandemic adversity. We also can't ignore that since the Clarkson game at home 2 1/2 months ago we have performed quite poorly. Other than the Northeastern weekend when they lost both but were very competitive against a solid team with an outstanding goalie, we haven't put together anything other than short in-game stretches of good performance and we've blown games that we clearly should have won if we want to be even a 2nd tier team. I've only seen the Army game in person, but it was indicative of the season as we played well enough to get a 2 goal lead only to cough it up in the 3rd as we were either too passive, unmotivated or out of gas to hold off a fired up Black Knights squad that dominated the third period and OT (although I'm sure Baxter still has nightmares about the completely open net he missed In OT from between the circles).

Here's hoping they can put together a strong 60 minutes tonight. I wonder if some of the bench guys that came through vs SLU will make it into the lineup tonight. Also, does anyone know Johnson's status? I don't think one guy explains last weekend, but he has been the linchpin of our defense when it has played well and we need all assets available versus Harvard.

Comment

I hope you are right, but we're not the only team dealing with pandemic adversity. We also can't ignore that since the Clarkson game at home 2 1/2 months ago we have performed quite poorly. Other than the Northeastern weekend when they lost both but were very competitive against a solid team with an outstanding goalie, we haven't put together anything other than short in-game stretches of good performance and we've blown games that we clearly should have won if we want to be even a 2nd tier team. I've only seen the Army game in person, but it was indicative of the season as we played well enough to get a 2 goal lead only to cough it up in the 3rd as we were either too passive, unmotivated or out of gas to hold off a fired up Black Knights squad that dominated the third period and OT (although I'm sure Baxter still has nightmares about the completely open net he missed In OT from between the circles).

Here's hoping they can put together a strong 60 minutes tonight. I wonder if some of the bench guys that came through vs SLU will make it into the lineup tonight. Also, does anyone know Johnson's status? I don't think one guy explains last weekend, but he has been the linchpin of our defense when it has played well and we need all assets available versus Harvard.
                I was at the game against Brown Saturday because I was working the goal horn. Johnson was wearing one of those medical walking boots, so I think it's safe to assume he will be out awhile.

Comment

Thanks. I may go.
                  Nice win. Watched on ESPN+. Still have a chance for 5th place.

Comment

Nice win. Watched on ESPN+. Still have a chance for 5th place.
                    Did you mean 4th?
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Did you mean 4th?
                      That's where I am looking. Have to set your sights high.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• I wish that I could figure this team out. One day removed from this awful weekend, and we play a total team game.
                        The first period, they gave up a lot of shots, but the team defense kept all of them to the outside giving Watson a chance to see all of them.
                        Then in the third period, they came out pushing the play. I don't remember the last time an RPI team did that going into the third period with a lead.
                        Watson is a very good goaltender. He has a great glove and his positioning is second to none. He is always were he should be.
                        Now the question is, can we score some goals and keep the pressure on the opposition for the rest of the season.
                        That is what it will take to move up in the standings.
                        They have shown us that they are capable, now lets see them do it.
                        Great game last night.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          I wish that I could figure this team out. One day removed from this awful weekend, and we play a total team game.
                          The first period, they gave up a lot of shots, but the team defense kept all of them to the outside giving Watson a chance to see all of them.
                          Then in the third period, they came out pushing the play. I don't remember the last time an RPI team did that going into the third period with a lead.
                          Watson is a very good goaltender. He has a great glove and his positioning is second to none. He is always were he should be.
                          Now the question is, can we score some goals and keep the pressure on the opposition for the rest of the season.
                          That is what it will take to move up in the standings.
                          They have shown us that they are capable, now lets see them do it.
                          Great game last night.
                          RPI has a long, but distinguished track record of playing to the level of its competition.... Great job by the boys last night and I absolutely agree it was a great team win !
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• We pretty much need to go 7-2 the rest of the way to get 4th.

On the schedule for those 9 games:
                            @ Dartmouth
                            @ Princeton
                            @ Quinnipiac
                            vs Cornell
                            vs Colgate
                            @ Brown
                            @ Yale
                            vs Dartmouth
                            vs Harvard

Basically, we have to win every game except the ones against Quinnpiac, Cornell and Harvard. In those 3 games, we need to win at least 1 of them. It's possible, but there's pretty much no margin for error. That final game against Harvard could become a winner take all game for the 4th seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                              We pretty much need to go 7-2 the rest of the way to get 4th.

On the schedule for those 9 games:
                              @ Dartmouth
                              @ Princeton
                              @ Quinnipiac
                              vs Cornell
                              vs Colgate
                              @ Brown
                              @ Yale
                              vs Dartmouth
                              vs Harvard

Basically, we have to win every game except the ones against Quinnpiac, Cornell and Harvard. In those 3 games, we need to win at least 1 of them. It's possible, but there's pretty much no margin for error. That final game against Harvard could become a winner take all game for the 4th seed.
                              With Harvard losing two of their best players to the Olympics, they might not be as strong as they need to be for the next three weeks.
                              Also, they have been shut out three times already this season, so maybe they are not as good as everyone thinks.
                              Having said that, we still have to win the games that we are supposed to win to put us in a position for 4th. And that has not always happened this season.
                              Take it one game at a time. And put in the same effort that they played with last night. That is all you can ask of any team.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

With Harvard losing two of their best players to the Olympics, they might not be as strong as they need to be for the next three weeks.
                                Also, they have been shut out three times already this season, so maybe they are not as good as everyone thinks.
                                Having said that, we still have to win the games that we are supposed to win to put us in a position for 4th. And that has not always happened this season.
                                Take it one game at a time. And put in the same effort that they played with last night. That is all you can ask of any team.
                                Simply stated and spot on. We have to just go one game at a time (there's a cliche for you) but we must win the games we should and we have absolutely not done that this year (see Yale, Brown, Alaska, Army, and perhaps SLU at HFH or one of the BG games too). There are certainly reasons and excuses for some of these that are very valid but you cannot give away anything at this level and we have done just that at times. Yesterday was not perfect as we were hugely out shot but most of what we did, we did extremely well (face offs make up such a big part of the game for us). overcoming a probably bad 5 minute major penalty call late in a game (when your defense is tired form 2+ periods of work) was huge. Great job by the boys and shows what they are capable of any given game.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X