RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

I remember Overall QPA as 2.3 in the 60's. I believe it's 2.8 now.
    2.3 sounds about right for the 60's, but it's hard to believe that it is only 2.8 now considering the numbers which are posted for various sports teams.

Maybe Sezenack knows.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

I remember Overall QPA as 2.3 in the 60's. I believe it's 2.8 now.
      When I was in school at RPI- we pretty much considered a B a grade we celebrated. A Hook was average or below but still you felt like you got through the course and survived. An A was just fairly rare. Of course it depended on which course the grade was for. Most of the guys I knew at school were striving for the magical 3.0 level but most were a bit below that. This is why I marvel at the numbers posted these days.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

2.3 sounds about right for the 60's, but it's hard to believe that it is only 2.8 now considering the numbers which are posted for various sports teams.

Maybe Sezenack knows.
        It's between a 3.0 and 3.1

Comment

• According to the source below it's in the 3.1-3.2 range. That seems to fit. They also show 2.84 in 1991. That seems reasonable because I worked for the Registrar and Academic Advising offices during my undergrad years and I vaguely remember the Institute-wide average GPA was somewhere in the area of 2.7x throughout that period ('78-'82). GPAs tended to grow as lower level students departed and upper level students moved into advanced classes within their major. The freshman year average GPA was probably a few tenths lower.

Athletes didn't have as many support resources then, but they did know how to play the system. I remember one year there was a required Management course that had two sections - one at 8 a.m. with a known ball buster and one later in the day with a more student-friendly professor. Mysteriously many members of the hockey team registered for, of all things, Helicopter Design. Guess when Helicopter Design met? Take a second guess as to what happened after the schedules were locked in. The Helicopter Design professor must have been a hockey fan because we didn't get any complaints.

That and the sight of a good chunk of the hockey team tray surfing and sledding down the hill to 8th Street are two of my clearer memories from that distant era.

https://www.gradeinflation.com/Rensselaer.html
          Last edited by rpi82; 01-15-2022, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Result obviously was not good but proud of the way the team fought tonight and gave it their all despite being shorthanded.

Comment

• Interesting schedule coming up: Yale and Brown at home this weekend, at Harvard on Tuesday, in Albany for Union exhibition on Saturday, at Dartmouth on Tuesday, and at Princeton and Quinnipiac...
              Last edited by fr. joe; 01-17-2022, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Our schedule is favorable to do well in the last 12 ECAC games. 6 of those games are against Brown, Yale and Dartmouth. These are must wins against bottom 4 teams by points %. Just winning those would get us top 6. The remaining 6 are Princeton, Cornell, Colgate, Quinnipiac and Harvard (2x). Winning 4 of those would all but guarantee a top 4 finish, winning 3 would put them on the 4-5 bubble (depends on who the wins came against. For example, if we swept Harvard as part of those 3, it would be practically guaranteed. If we got swept, it'd be highly unlikely. If we split, it'd be 50-50.). Less than 3, and you're looking at 5 or 6. Excited to see how it plays out, and even if we end up in 5 or 6, we still have a good enough team to get to Lake Placid.

Comment

• I got to see the last two periods yesterday and came away very impressed with Watson.
                  He has a very good glove and was in position for all of the shots that came his way (and there were many).
                  And something I haven't seen from an RPI team in a long time. We took advantage of our chances.
                  It was nice to see Walsh back in the line up.
                  All in all, is was a great win playing with so many inexperienced players.
                  Hopefully we get the "A" team back this weekend.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

• Question- how long must our boys sit out if they are in this Covid protocol? There are only 4 more days until our next game and we cannot play with 17 or 18 players and expect to do well.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      I got to see the last two periods yesterday and came away very impressed with Watson.
                      He has a very good glove and was in position for all of the shots that came his way (and there were many).
                      And something I haven't seen from an RPI team in a long time. We took advantage of our chances.
                      It was nice to see Walsh back in the line up.
                      All in all, is was a great win playing with so many inexperienced players.
                      Hopefully we get the "A" team back this weekend.
                      We are a better team than our overall record indicates. Losing games in 3 on 3 overtimes makes this team on paper just seem worse. Also, having to be a road team for long periods of time certainly does not help our record. If the schedule settles down, if we get a favorable seed in the ECAC at the end of the season, and if we can stay healthy, we could have a fairly successful run. Before the season I had expected this to be a 20 win season. We might still well be but the Alaska trip did not go as well as i thought it might and the OT losses certainly did not help. Other teams in this league had better show our boys some respect and be ready to play or they will be given a much tougher time than the ratings on paper would indicate.
                      And yes EHF-both our young goalies seem like very good NCAA level players and we should be OK at that position for years to come.

Comment

• Post game interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3TRWYazkM
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• They're poised for a very good stretch over these next two weeks...

Comment

• Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                            They're poised for a very good stretch over these next two weeks...
                            Only if they can stay healthy. They have quite a few games over a short period of time and will not be able to stand up to that well if they only have 17 skaters. if everyone is back, they can at least get above that .500 mark and get that team chemistry and flow back.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Only if they can stay healthy. They have quite a few games over a short period of time and will not be able to stand up to that well if they only have 17 skaters. if everyone is back, they can at least get above that .500 mark and get that team chemistry and flow back.
                              According to Coach Smith on yesterday's Talkin’ Neers podcast, most of the missing players have practiced and are expected back this weekend. He did not give an specific names.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

According to Coach Smith on yesterday's Talkin’ Neers podcast, most of the missing players have practiced and are expected back this weekend. He did not give an specific names.
                                I think that the SLU game should inspire some positive competition amongst the players. And that can only be good for the team.
                                Watching the reserves score some impressive goals should bring out the best in the returning players.
                                I look forward to watching the games this weekend.

Lets go Red!!!!!!!!!
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X