No announcement yet.

RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Times Union freelancer that covers RPI put together a good article about the situation tonight and was able to interview Dave Smith: https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...e-16749727.php

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Why am I not surprised?
      Same reason that I am not.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Same reason that I am not.
        I don't see any reason why anyone should be surprised. This is not an RPI thing or a ECAC thing, they are postponing games in the mid west. That is not a good sign for anyone.
        As bad as it was, I am glad that I got to see the game at West Point.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I don't see any reason why anyone should be surprised. This is not an RPI thing or a ECAC thing, they are postponing games in the mid west. That is not a good sign for anyone.
          As bad as it was, I am glad that I got to see the game at West Point.
          Every team has encountered it...or will. As Smith said in the T/U piece they've been as careful as possible and with all of the travel its probably surprising that its only happening now. We can only hope that the number of cases is limited and we can hit the ice again soon. Until then we wait.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• I miss hockey just as much as anyone. I subscribed to ESPN+ to be able to watch. I tried to watch the Vermont game but the feed was horrible. And now a pause. Or will it be more than that? I am frustrated. BUT I understand and appreciate where SAJ is. She is tasked with running a university. Not an athletic program. Sports are extracurricular. People pay big money to attend the university and the vast majority don’t come here to watch or play hockey or football. You may hate her methods but, so far, you can’t argue with her results. This is a situation where you have to come up with afollow a

Comment

• Sorry hit post before I was finished. ***come up with and follow a plan. Keeping the classrooms open and the students and safe as healthy and safe as is possible has to be the primary goal. How many icu hospitalizations or deaths would be acceptable? I get it we are all frustrated and have had enough. But we have no concept of what it’s like to be an ICU nurse or ER doctor or school bus driver. We will get through this and we will be a better people for our patience, diligence, and willingness to care for each other. Sorry for ranting.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                Sorry hit post before I was finished. ***come up with and follow a plan. Keeping the classrooms open and the students and safe as healthy and safe as is possible has to be the primary goal. How many icu hospitalizations or deaths would be acceptable? I get it we are all frustrated and have had enough. But we have no concept of what it’s like to be an ICU nurse or ER doctor or school bus driver. We will get through this and we will be a better people for our patience, diligence, and willingness to care for each other. Sorry for ranting.
                Please explain to me how allowing the team to move a UVM home game to an away game in another state - invariably INCREASING their risk of exposure - is somehow a meritorious plan?
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Please explain to me how allowing the team to move a UVM home game to an away game in another state - invariably INCREASING their risk of exposure - is somehow a meritorious plan?
                  Wicked - I have to recuse myself from commenting since i have spent lots of time in the past 50 years as an ER physician and Jen has been an ICU nurse.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• I cannot rationalize why that game was moved. That decision made no sense to me either. But in the context of the end of the holiday break (and apparently a rise in the number of positive cases on the team) I think the thinking is that the campus will likely see lots of cases in the coming weeks if they bring students back. You can try and control who has access to the campus and the students while school is in session. Once students go home, that control is totally lost. We don’t know what school officials know at any given point in time. I think many decisions (not just on the RPI campus but across the country) are made to try and meet people half way. To try and meet the virus half way, actually. In China they get 3 cases and tell people they cannot leave home. Millions of people not even able to get food. And the virus is stopped cold Then you have places where you let people do what they want and we have every conceivable position in between. I would not want to be the one making the decision what to allow and what not to allow for an organization. One thing I think is a certainty. SAJ is not making these decisions all on her own. Don’t you think the counties, the healthcare system, the state, the CDC, or other entities also are taken into consideration? My point is: if I were in her shoes, I am not sure I would do things much differently. As much as I don’t like it.

Comment

• This whole thing is getting very confusing.
                      https://rpiathletics.com/news/2022/1...-saturday.aspx
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                        I cannot rationalize why that game was moved. That decision made no sense to me either. But in the context of the end of the holiday break (and apparently a rise in the number of positive cases on the team) I think the thinking is that the campus will likely see lots of cases in the coming weeks if they bring students back. You can try and control who has access to the campus and the students while school is in session. Once students go home, that control is totally lost. We don’t know what school officials know at any given point in time. I think many decisions (not just on the RPI campus but across the country) are made to try and meet people half way. To try and meet the virus half way, actually. In China they get 3 cases and tell people they cannot leave home. Millions of people not even able to get food. And the virus is stopped cold Then you have places where you let people do what they want and we have every conceivable position in between. I would not want to be the one making the decision what to allow and what not to allow for an organization. One thing I think is a certainty. SAJ is not making these decisions all on her own. Don’t you think the counties, the healthcare system, the state, the CDC, or other entities also are taken into consideration? My point is: if I were in her shoes, I am not sure I would do things much differently. As much as I don’t like it.
                        I'm not trying to single you out honestly. It just doesn't make any sense if the stated goal is to keep students "safe" to then move a home game which would have been played in a cavernous empty building from an empty campus 2+ weeks before students were due to return to that campus. If science is driving the decisions, then I need to see the math on that one.... just sayin'.

Comment

• Someone just sent me a text that there may be rink refrigeration issues at the HFH....I'd have to think Sezenack or someone in the know would have heard something if this were true ? If it were true, it might explain the road games....dunno

Comment

• While I can't confirm any issues about the rink at HFH, I can confirm the womens team has been practicing there all week as usual. They are in Providence right now, of course, arrived last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by VGK View Post
                              While I can't confirm any issues about the rink at HFH, I can confirm the womens team has been practicing there all week as usual. They are in Providence right now, of course, arrived last night.
                              Proof enough ! Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I'm not trying to single you out honestly. It just doesn't make any sense if the stated goal is to keep students "safe" to then move a home game which would have been played in a cavernous empty building from an empty campus 2+ weeks before students were due to return to that campus. If science is driving the decisions, then I need to see the math on that one.... just sayin'.
                                Wicked -If science was guiding any decisions, then I might have to press the rewind button and go back a bit over the last two years.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X