RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I was surprised that you have so many players from Latvia. RPI has three from Finland, one from Slovakia, and one from France. Simon Kjellberg grew up in Sweden but is listed as from Tennessee where his father was playing when he was born. We have an assistant coach from Austria.
    Our little European pipeline expanded under previous assistant coach Karlis Zunis (18/19 & 19/20), who was head coach for Latvia U20. Our current rooster includes kids from Latvia (7), Sweden (4), and one each from Finland, Russia, and Hungary. Mix in 11 Canucks and 6 from the USA.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      Actually the tournament was played in November of 1985-1987 and then the last 7 years of the tournament (2004-2010).
      it got harder and harder to find teams who wanted to play during the Christmas season and there were more tournaments that were being played at that time.
      Exactly - most of the earlier tournaments were just after Christmas and it did become almost impossible to get quality programs to come to Troy. The 85-87 stretch at the time was quite different than what we had experienced for all the years before. Spending Thanksgiving away from home felt quite odd for us but I do recall having Turkey fried rice at Jack's Motel and restaurant which I think was located on Route 5 towards Schenectady heading out from Albany. They had fabulous Chinese food in those days!
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Jack’s Motel is not there anymore. I believe (someone correct me if I’m wrong) it is now called Golden Buffet and is still serving Chinese food.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
          Jack’s Motel is not there anymore. I believe (someone correct me if I’m wrong) it is now called Golden Buffet and is still serving Chinese food.
          Shame-it was a much classier place than it sounded (as a motel). Food was excellent. But we shifted over to the Plum Blossom many years ago. Simply a great place to meet up with many of the RPI hockey families in the 90's. Also close enough to the HFH that we could have a few drinks (Gimolets of course) and still make it over Burdette Ave to park without getting lost!!

Comment

Was he the hour hand or the minute hand? ;-)
            Yes, he was! ;-)

Comment

• Back to Alaska. I was a little surprised at the final score of Saturday's game. But more surprised at the fact that Marshall was in goal. This is a perfect trip to find out what our back up goalies can give us in a game situation. Not just for this year, but for next year too.
              I hope that we were just experimenting with our power play. Giving up two short handed goals (I know that one of the goals was at the very end of the power play) in one game should not happen.
              I don't mind losing these games as long as we learn from them. The only way we make the playoffs this year is through the ECAC.
              Lets get ready for that.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                I hope that we were just experimenting with our power play. Giving up two short handed goals (I know that one of the goals was at the very end of the power play) in one game should not happen.
                Yes, our powerplay has gone to the dogs.
                https://***********/RPI_Hockey/statu...55321763356678
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• I decided to post this here because there are people who don't read the RPI recruit thread who might be interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaGJ316WIkM

It is the game that The Hill School played on Sunday vs. The Winchendon School. Ryan Sanborn, supposedly arriving in Troy in 2024, is The Hill School's goalie. He is #1 in white. He saved 41 of 42 shots in the 54-minute game according to the box score. That would translate to facing about 47 shots in a 60-minute game. IMHO, he kept The Hill School in the game in the first period.

I assume that the game was not simulcast on radio because the announcer provided very minimal information. There were a lot of great save by Ryan Sanborns. Sadly, the camera work by a single camera on the red line would never be mistaken for RPI-TV. So it is often hard to see Sanborn when a lot of skaters are near him. Some of the great saves did not seem all that great to me.

I don't know if the game will remain on-line for a long time. FWIW, the game was delayed 3 hours and played at Cushing Academy because of problems with Winchendon's ice.

The game itself starts at about the 12-minute mark of the video.
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-13-2021, 12:12 PM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Ralph: Everything you posted is spot on. The camera angle for the game was just far too low (and fixed in position) to see much of the goal tending. he seemed to stop just about everything he saw but the quality of the shots very difficult to evaluate. As you said, the announcer just felt they were all 'great saves'. My opinion about evaluating young goal tenders is that it might be the hardest position to determine how well they play. After all, they are certainly not facing the speed of the game or the shots that they will see in a few years as they progress up the ladder. In any case, he did seem to be able to handle what was asked of him very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Ralph: Everything you posted is spot on. The camera angle for the game was just far too low (and fixed in position) to see much of the goal tending. he seemed to stop just about everything he saw but the quality of the shots very difficult to evaluate. As you said, the announcer just felt they were all 'great saves'. My opinion about evaluating young goal tenders is that it might be the hardest position to determine how well they play. After all, they are certainly not facing the speed of the game or the shots that they will see in a few years as they progress up the ladder. In any case, he did seem to be able to handle what was asked of him very well.
                      Assuming that the "2024" is correct, he has two years after this one to move up the ladder. The fact that a couple of weeks ago, Dubuque (USHL) saw fit to have him as their backup goalie shows that he is well thought of and should move up somewhere. I wonder how he looked in practice there and if he is in their plans for next season.

The Hill School plays Albany Academy later in the season, but sadly for Tri-City residents who might be interested, it's a home game for The Hill School. As far as you are concerned, they play at Princeton Day School which I suspect is in Princeton and also at The Hun School which I know is also somewhere in NJ. The Hill School itself is in Pottstown, PA.

Edit: The Hill School's own schedule which may be more reliable. https://www.thehill.org/athletics/te...oys/ice-hockey
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-13-2021, 02:10 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As far as you are concerned, they play at Princeton Day School which I suspect is in Princeton and also at The Hun School which I know is also somewhere in NJ.
                        Hun and PDS are two miles apart in Princeton

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          Back to Alaska. I was a little surprised at the final score of Saturday's game. But more surprised at the fact that Marshall was in goal. This is a perfect trip to find out what our back up goalies can give us in a game situation. Not just for this year, but for next year too.
                          Not odd to see your starter play two in a row, especially with the schedule a little bit lighter in the coming weeks. Would be surprised if he played all four, but I don't think we ever got an update on the injury situation with the other goaltenders. Recall the discussion on why Marshall was not pulled during the 'Gate/Cornell trip; reports surfaced the following week that the other two goalies were unavailable. Not sure whether injuries still an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Hun and PDS are two miles apart in Princeton
                            That's interesting. I guess it is cheaper to make two trips than to stay overnight.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Assuming that the "2024" is correct, he has two years after this one to move up the ladder. The fact that a couple of weeks ago, Dubuque (USHL) saw fit to have him as their backup goalie shows that he is well thought of and should move up somewhere. I wonder how he looked in practice there and if he is in their plans for next season.

The Hill School plays Albany Academy later in the season, but sadly for Tri-City residents who might be interested, it's a home game for The Hill School. As far as you are concerned, they play at Princeton Day School which I suspect is in Princeton and also at The Hun School which I know is also somewhere in NJ. The Hill School itself is in Pottstown, PA.

Edit: The Hill School's own schedule which may be more reliable. https://www.thehill.org/athletics/te...oys/ice-hockey
                              Know all those schools well. Before all the shut downs we used to visit many of their games. Princeton Day and the Hun have produced some pretty fair talent over the years. They are highly rated academically also so lot of the folks around her who can afford it, send their kids.

Comment

That's interesting. I guess it is cheaper to make two trips than to stay overnight.
                                I might have to cash in one of Jenny's CDs to book a room in Princeton!!

Comment

Working...
                                X