• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregame (hockey, not football :-D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_1vzBZPNKE
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

The bigger they come, the harder they fall!
      Yes David, I remember the episode with Goliath! Hoping for such a biblical performance by our boys in this upcoming game.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

Sunday's game was very disappointing. I watched the Engineers play the best two periods of the year. Passes were crisp tape to tape. Even cross ice passes were right on the money.
        When they made a mistake, which was not very often, Marshall backed them up.
        Then the third period started and they gave up an early goal to tie the score.
        All the great play of the previous forty minutes went out the window.
        Passes were no longer accurate, the team was chasing the puck all over the ice. They just lost their composure. At least that is what I saw.
        Hopefully they can learn from that.
        I agree with you about the first two periods. Passing and playmaking looked good. I thought Northeastern came out hungry in the 3rd and seemed to want it more, but the Engineers looked like fatigue started to get to them too. D had trouble containing McDonough, but then again, that's most of Northeastern's opponents these days. I thought Marshall played very well Sunday. Engineers came very close to tying the game in final seconds. Levi made a huge save at the buzzer.

Comment

• One more comment about Northeastern. Sunday was my first time at Matthews in about 10 years. That barn is 40 years *older* than HFH yet from a fan experience it actually feels more modern. (I have not seen locker rooms, weight rooms, so can't speak to that). The large center ice "video wall" scoreboard or whatever they call these things is nice. One would be a perfect addition for HFH.

It's also time to paint all the HFH seats red (and replace the blue bunting with red). Where did the blue come from anyway? It's not even a school color! Ok, back to football!

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see how RPI does tonight. Hopefully we'll see the same effort and motivation we saw against NE last weekend. The few close games that Q has had this year have been against teams with solid defensive structure. As Smith mentioned in the preview interview, good teams figure out how to turn close games into ties and wins...which is the next step that RPI needs to take. GO RED !
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by vicious View Post
              One more comment about Northeastern. Sunday was my first time at Matthews in about 10 years. That barn is 40 years *older* than HFH yet from a fan experience it actually feels more modern. (I have not seen locker rooms, weight rooms, so can't speak to that). The large center ice "video wall" scoreboard or whatever they call these things is nice. One would be a perfect addition for HFH.

It's also time to paint all the HFH seats red (and replace the blue bunting with red). Where did the blue come from anyway? It's not even a school color! Ok, back to football!
              I haven't been there since it was called the Boston Arena, and I saw us lose to BU in an ECAC playoff game in the spring of 1969. :-)
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

One more comment about Northeastern. Sunday was my first time at Matthews in about 10 years. That barn is 40 years *older* than HFH yet from a fan experience it actually feels more modern. (I have not seen locker rooms, weight rooms, so can't speak to that). The large center ice "video wall" scoreboard or whatever they call these things is nice. One would be a perfect addition for HFH.

Agree with the seat painting; seems like a relatively easy improvement. As for the video board, I'd rather see other improvements first (improved seats in some sections, seating behind the goal at the Zamboni end). RPI's video board is only about 10 years old and is perfectly fine. The only issue with it is really a production issue getting the RPI TV replays a bit better synched. Northeastern also uses Matthews for D1 basketball which I think creates a different equation for them.

In fairness to HFH, it is an old Navy warehouse that was dismantled, shipped to Troy, and repurposed, whereas Matthews was designed specifically for sporting events. There is only so much that can be done for HFH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I haven't been there since it was called the Boston Arena, and I saw us lose to BU in an ECAC playoff game in the spring of 1969. :-)
                  Ralph, were you there for the Dick Greenlaw 78-save game vs. BU in '65? (IIRC)

Comment

Vicious: I was in Boston for that game. I have mentioned it a few times on various threads. I think truthfully that 78 was a gross underestimation. I thought he made about 35 saves in the first period alone. Could have been more but BU rang about 3 off the post and one off the cross bar. There were some very high scoring games against us that year (Clarkson, Northeastern) but i was always of the opinion that Dick was very good and saved us several times from even worse disasters. We were 3-19 and if you look at the schedule of who we were able to beat, we could easily have been zero wins for the season if not for some soft games.

Comment

No, I was not. It was during break, and I was in NYC. I didn't even hear about it until I returned to Troy. Smoke signals didn't travel too well. ;-)
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Agree with the seat painting; seems like a relatively easy improvement. As for the video board, I'd rather see other improvements first (improved seats in some sections, seating behind the goal at the Zamboni end). RPI's video board is only about 10 years old and is perfectly fine. The only issue with it is really a production issue getting the RPI TV replays a bit better synched. Northeastern also uses Matthews for D1 basketball which I think creates a different equation for them.

In fairness to HFH, it is an old Navy warehouse that was dismantled, shipped to Troy, and repurposed, whereas Matthews was designed specifically for sporting events. There is only so much that can be done for HFH.
                        I believe the color the seats referred to the quality of the seat. Red was best, Blue not so good, and then the west end was poorest of all. I think that this also was reflected in the price of the ticket-at least in the south stands for non students. Our student's group hockey tickets were rotated between red to blue to west end locations. As bad as things were in 65/6, we beat Penn something like 14-4.
                        The year after the football team ended the non-victorius streak in 65, the team had a winning season in 66, They lost their first four games before the coaches daughter had a dream that they would have a winning season, They won the last five games, capping the season with a 36-6 victory over Rochester on a beautiful fall Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manistee Rambler View Post

I believe the color the seats referred to the quality of the seat. Red was best, Blue not so good, and then the west end was poorest of all. I think that this also was reflected in the price of the ticket-at least in the south stands for non students. Our student's group hockey tickets were rotated between red to blue to west end locations. As bad as things were in 65/6, we beat Penn something like 14-4.
                          The score vs. Penn was 4-2, and IIRC they were still a club team that year. We defeated them 11-5 the next year.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The score vs. Penn was 4-2, and IIRC they were still a club team that year. We defeated them 11-5 the next year.
                            Correct on Penn. We did have quite a freshman class coming in however.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Vicious: I was in Boston for that game. I have mentioned it a few times on various threads. I think truthfully that 78 was a gross underestimation. I thought he made about 35 saves in the first period alone. Could have been more but BU rang about 3 off the post and one off the cross bar. There were some very high scoring games against us that year (Clarkson, Northeastern) but i was always of the opinion that Dick was very good and saved us several times from even worse disasters. We were 3-19 and if you look at the schedule of who we were able to beat, we could easily have been zero wins for the season if not for some soft games.
                              DrD, sounds like the puck barely left the RPI zone the entire game.

Comment

No, I was not. It was during break, and I was in NYC. I didn't even hear about it until I returned to Troy. Smoke signals didn't travel too well. ;-)
                                Ralph, that is surprising given the amount of "smoke" one might have found on a college campus in those days :-)

As DrD mentioned, it must have been quite a game. I did not see it but Greenlaw's game sounds reminiscent of a game of another memorable goaltending performance, in the Invitational (?) (vs McGill) and the McGill goalie recorded something like 80 saves in an 8-0 loss to RPI (I am writing all this from memory so I might be off-base). If I remember, the HFH faithful gave him a standing o at the end of the game. He may have also been tourney MVP. If someone has more accurate information or recalls the details more clearly, please correct me.

Comment

Working...
                                X