This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    To allow Cornell to hang 11 on Linden is absolutely coaching malpratice. Linden deserved better than that.

I watched most of both games and it was clear from early in the Colgate game that Marshall looked shaky. He was not playing with the kind of confidence and poise we saw in games up to this point. Same against Cornell. Yes, some of these, the D left him in a tough position, but others - especially the Cornell wrap-around goal and the misplayed loose puck that floated past his stick and then his right foot, something's off with him.

Smith's decision to leave him in for 11 goals is unusual. But I'm also guessing Smith had his reasons for doing so. Just as Appert had his reasons for leaving Cam Hackett in after giving up 8 goals to Harvard in Feb. 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      It appears that the last time we gave up as many as 11 goals was on 1/18/86 in an 11-0 loss to Harvard, the year after the NCAA championship. Conceivably my eyes missed a more recent game.
      https://sports-chronicles.com/rpih/p...season#1985-86
      1997 vs Clarkson

Edit: Seems like someone else already pointed this out
      Last edited by sezenack; 11-14-2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Football highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTXQyjgO8RQ. I doubt that anyone will watch the hockey one, so I won't post it.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          I have been very supportive of Smith since he took over. But his handling of the goalies this weekend gives me pause.
          I thought that Marshall should have been pulled in the second period Friday. And should never have made it out of the first period on Saturday.
          I don't blame Marshall for all or not even most of the goals. The team defense was awful both nights and left him out to dry on so many goals.
          But unless Miller was injured, Smith is going to have to me a magician to fix the goalie situation.
          The worst weekend of hockey I have seen. I am sure there were others, but I tend to block them out of my memory.
          I thought the same thing on Friday night and Saturday night. Would have been a good opportunity for evaluation and experience.
          Like DrD I go back to 1965-1966 but I think expectations were lower back then and we had an impressive freshman team with Watson and Scammel .

Comment

• For the football fans - the NCAA Division III brackets just announce and a bit of a surprise. We do not get to host a first round game and instead have to travel to Endicott for the first game. I am guessing that the NCAA did not want to award a game to a site that will not be fully allowing spectators to view the game in person. That is only my opinion but the NCAA has made that sort of decision in the past with teams that did not offer (as they call it) a proper venue to host the game. I understand that RPI has somewhat relaxed the rules governing who can be at the game but perhaps the NCAA felt that was not enough. Interestingly we ending the season as an auto bid league champion with a 9-1 record yet are on the road to face a team that had an 8-2 record. Good luck to our Kardiac Kids who play next Saturday at 12 PM. Let's Go Red!!!!!!!

Just a note - we are 7-0 against Endicott in program history having played them from 2004-2=10 and the first 6 were not even close or competitive. only the last game was a tight 6-3 win for us. But Endicott is a totally different program these days and in a different league from when we last played/
            Last edited by DrDemento; 11-14-2021, 05:01 PM.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

I thought the same thing on Friday night and Saturday night. Would have been a good opportunity for evaluation and experience.
              Like DrD I go back to 1965-1966 but I think expectations were lower back then and we had an impressive freshman team with Watson and Scammel .
              Quite true - we anxiously were looking forward to the addition of the freshmen who would insure an improvement in the overall team record. There are several of us still posting on here who go back that far and have b een through so many of the ups and downs.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                For the football fans - the NCAA Division III brackets just announce and a bit of a surprise. We do not get to host a first round game and instead have to travel to Endicott for the first game. I am guessing that the NCAA did not want to award a game to a site that will not be fully allowing spectators to view the game in person. That is only my opinion but the NCAA has made that sort of decision in the past with teams that did not offer (as they call it) a proper venue to host the game.
                I'm inclined to think that your guess is accurate.

Note that RPI benefitted from a decision of this nature in 2003, when we were given a first-round home game against a higher-ranked Curry College team because their facility was deemed inferior to '86 Field. (Remembering what I heard about how embarrassed our student managers used to be when they had to show visiting teams their dressing quarters in '87 Gym, I wouldn't want to think about how bad Curry's place must have been.) With the benefit of home field, RPI won that first-round game and eventually made it all the way to the national semifinals, the farthest any RPI football team has ever gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I'm inclined to think that your guess is accurate.

Note that RPI benefitted from a decision of this nature in 2003, when we were given a first-round home game against a higher-ranked Curry College team because their facility was deemed inferior to '86 Field. (Remembering what I heard about how embarrassed our student managers used to be when they had to show visiting teams their dressing quarters in '87 Gym, I wouldn't want to think about how bad Curry's place must have been.) With the benefit of home field, RPI won that first-round game and eventually made it all the way to the national semifinals, the farthest any RPI football team has ever gone.
                  Seems very likely with RPI ranked #18 on D3 website and Endicott unranked. This could end up as a rather good draw for us since we avoid the power house Mt Union for a couple rounds and predictions early were that we could have to face them in a second round match. That 2003 team you referred to gave us all quite the thrill reaching the semi finals against St. Johns and actually played the first half against them quite well before the eventual tournament champion ran away from us in the second half. With almost every game this season being determined by a couple points in the last minute of play, I would expect the same for this week.

Comment

• I was in Hamilton for the Colgate game and it was over after the first period. (Really it was over after about 7-8 mins into the 1st.) You name it, RPI stopped doing it. They stopped skating, checking, thinking.... Exhibit A was when the Colgate kid skated the length of the rink with the puck unscathed, before burying a layup behind Marshall. As good as the D corps has looked in the early going, they were lost on Friday night. I almost wonder if the team was down with the flu or something.....because it certainly didn't resemble the squad we've been seeing all year. Marshall was fighting the puck a bit and struggled with a few floaters/knuckling pucks I thought. But he also managed to cover/save several that were essentially uncontested shooting drill shots by the Raiders.

Because of the way the team was playing I thought that Smith should have swapped keepers to start the 3rd, if only to shake up the team and let Marshall get his mind right for Saturday.

I didn't see any of the Cornell game (thankfully) but unless Miller had explosive diarrhea I don't know how a coach could even attempt to justify leaving ANY keeper in a game that ends with 11 GA. Hard to fathom a reason other than the backup couldn't answer the bell.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• My daughter found out the goalies are injured. Without giving info, Marshall was aware he'd stay in the whole game on Saturday knowing full well it could be 10-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by VGK View Post
                        My daughter found out the goalies are injured. Without giving info, Marshall was aware he'd stay in the whole game on Saturday knowing full well it could be 10-0.
                        Well, that certainly explains it. Hope the injuries are minor so that one or the other (or even both) could see some playing time this weekend.

Comment

• Having trouble with the youtube link, but try looking at A Fans' View of the Shoes Win
                          Last edited by fr. joe; 11-15-2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VGK View Post
                            My daughter found out the goalies are injured. Without giving info, Marshall was aware he'd stay in the whole game on Saturday knowing full well it could be 10-0.
                            That certainly makes more sense and kudos to Marshall for taking his lumps for the squad. That answers the keeper question, but not what the h--- happened to the rest of the team on Saturday night.
                            I wonder if they had a bag skate on Sunday morning....

Whatever is the case, I hope they can get healthy and quickly put last weekend in the rearview !
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• TU write-up on RPI hockey road ahead. Not a deep article (reporter is a freelancer who had an assignment other than college hockey last weekend), and no questions about how the goaltending situation played out. But the reporter did draw out some interesting quotes from Coach Smith and some of the players about how they are going to move forward. https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...CP-Latest-News

Comment

• football preview
                                https://noontimesports.com/2021/11/1...icott-college/
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X