This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Ferner was one of my favorites when he was here, and now I am really upset that he has gone on to UND.
    That said, I wish him all the best. He sounds like a really good kid.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

• For the football fans - if you did not watch the game on Union TV- I feel sorry for you. Suffice it to say, an incredible comeback and we are going to play in the NCAA tournament as the Liberty League Champions! Far too much to list but we win on a last second field goal 19-16 against a very strong and favored Union team. Not to mention that the shoes are now back where they belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        For the football fans - if you did not watch the game on Union TV- I feel sorry for you. Suffice it to say, an incredible comeback and we are going to play in the NCAA tournament as the Liberty League Champions! Far too much to list but we win on a last second field goal 19-16 against a very strong and favored Union team. Not to mention that the shoes are now back where they belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Dynamite! Local media's been fawning all over over Union football for years.

It's been raining here in Ravena and Coxsackie since noon. I know Union has a turf field but was the weather a factor?

Comment

• Originally posted by fr. joe View Post

Dynamite! Local media's been fawning all over over Union football for years.

It's been raining here in Ravena and Coxsackie since noon. I know Union has a turf field but was the weather a factor?
          it rained quite a bit but i think both teams did well under the circumstances. The last couple minutes were just absurd! RPI scored with about 24 seconds left to get to within 17-16 and went for 2 points and threw an incomplete pass. however they got a fortunate after the play call and had to kick off from the 50 after the penalty was assess. They tried the onside kick and recovered it just inside the 40 of Union. Threw two short complete passes to about the 22. With only 4 seconds left brought in their new kicker-he had joined the team this week after his soccer season ended and he drilled a 36 yard field goal for the 19-17 win. I do not think you could script this better.

Comment

it rained quite a bit but i think both teams did well under the circumstances. The last couple minutes were just absurd! RPI scored with about 24 seconds left to get to within 17-16 and went for 2 points and threw an incomplete pass. however they got a fortunate after the play call and had to kick off from the 50 after the penalty was assess. They tried the onside kick and recovered it just inside the 40 of Union. Threw two short complete passes to about the 22. With only 4 seconds left brought in their new kicker-he had joined the team this week after his soccer season ended and he drilled a 36 yard field goal for the 19-17 win. I do not think you could script this better.
            Thanks. Best update ever. I turned it off when the 2 point conversion failed. I just found out RPI won. I have watched almost the entire season. More wins this year than in my 5 years 1963-1968.
            If they had kicked and tied 17-17 they wouldn't have tried an onside kick. Did the new kicker kick the onside kick.

Comment

• According to the Times Union the onside kick was attempted by sophomore DB Diego Fernandez. He played high school soccer so I’d imagine they tried him as a kicker too. If they actually tried them out on onside kicks too and discovered he had a skill for it that would just be great coaching.

Comment

Just think about the football team's last few weeks:
                --losing to Hobart, 10-9 with a missed extra point figuring in the final score (turning out to be their only loss in league play).
                --defeating top-heavy favorite Ithaca despite being outgained by a wide margin
                --caught in a low scoring road game with SLU, they are outgained by a .500 club and dodge one when SLU's kicker missed a very short field goal on the last play of regulation only to come alive offensively in the 2OT match and win.
                --and now, the Shoes come back to Troy (beating Union never grows old) and so does an NCAA bid.

You couldn't have scripted this. Who would have believed it?
                Last edited by fr. joe; 11-13-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• As Jericho had pointed out - the extra point kick against Hobart was blocked. If not for that the game would have been tied and up for grabs. We certainly would have had a very good chance of a win instead and an undefeated season. But we benefited from a missed FG attempt by the Ithaca kicker and another by the SLU kicker that more than likely would have sent us to defeat in either or both games. just an incredible season. We finished first in a league with really 3 other extremely good teams and highly rated contenders for an NCAA selection.
                  The NCAA selections come out today at 5:30PM and I hope we can get a home game in the first round at least. If our new additions of soccer playing kickers can perform as they did yesterday, we become a bit more of a threat. This year our boys have truly been the Kardiac Kids and our coach deserves an immense amount of credit for pulling this all together.

Comment

• It appears that the last time we gave up as many as 11 goals was on 1/18/86 in an 11-0 loss to Harvard, the year after the NCAA championship. Conceivably my eyes missed a more recent game.
                    https://sports-chronicles.com/rpih/p...season#1985-86
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-14-2021, 05:47 AM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• I watched both the women’s and men’s hockey games yesterday and the me shame on Friday. When most of the entries are about football on a hockey blog, that says something (no criticism of the football team intended). But this weekend’s mens games were pathetic. I get it, lots of new players. No hockey last year. But they are 11 games I now and getting worse. Pure and simple Marshall should have been pulled. I thought all along he was not as good as many thought. If their back up was injured, I’ll give Smith a pass, but letting your #1 goalie get bombarded and demoralized is not smart. Friday’s game was not much better. This is not going to get easier going forward. Union is making progress as a team and RPI is not. The women look the far better team. There’s a lot of hockey left. I’m beginning to think paying $6.99 a month for ESPN+ is a better bargain than paying for season’s tickets. At least with ESPN+ I can make the pain go away by switching to a different game.

Comment

• I have been very supportive of Smith since he took over. But his handling of the goalies this weekend gives me pause.
                        I thought that Marshall should have been pulled in the second period Friday. And should never have made it out of the first period on Saturday.
                        I don't blame Marshall for all or not even most of the goals. The team defense was awful both nights and left him out to dry on so many goals.
                        But unless Miller was injured, Smith is going to have to me a magician to fix the goalie situation.
                        The worst weekend of hockey I have seen. I am sure there were others, but I tend to block them out of my memory.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

• To allow Cornell to hang 11 on Linden is absolutely coaching malpratice. Linden deserved better than that.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            It appears that the last time we gave up as many as 11 goals was on 1/18/86 in an 11-0 loss to Harvard, the year after the NCAA championship. Conceivably my eyes missed a more recent game.
                            https://sports-chronicles.com/rpih/p...season#1985-86
                            Yes, your eyes did miss one. A 11-0 beating by Clarkson on 11/22/97.
                            FWIW, during that 85-86 season, that was one of 3 times that RPI gave up 10+ goals in a game (10-3 loss to Yale and a wild 11-10 loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor were the others).

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              I have been very supportive of Smith since he took over. But his handling of the goalies this weekend gives me pause.
                              I thought that Marshall should have been pulled in the second period Friday. And should never have made it out of the first period on Saturday.
                              I don't blame Marshall for all or not even most of the goals. The team defense was awful both nights and left him out to dry on so many goals.
                              But unless Miller was injured, Smith is going to have to me a magician to fix the goalie situation.
                              The worst weekend of hockey I have seen. I am sure there were others, but I tend to block them out of my memory.
                              I also am confused why Marshall was left in both games. It couldn't find any interviews with the coaches in the media coverage, so there's little to go on there. I actually didn't think RPI played poorly against Colgate, but it was clear that Marshall wasn't on it on Friday and I thought he should have been pulled. He commits to going down into a butterfly too early and his positioning is sometimes too deep on the longer shots. He's 6'3" some of these shots should just hit him if he's in the right place.

I was only able to tune into the Cornell game after it was well out of hand, so I didn't get to see the overall flow of the play, but saw the highlights on the Cornell YouTube channel (only Cornell goals shown). A couple of goaltending errors were the culprit for Cornell goals, but most of the goals were on point blank chances to wide open Cornell players. Even still, you need your goaltender to make saves on some of those to bail you out, it's just the nature of the position. I would think that a goaltending change would have happened on Saturday, if only to try and energize the team to pull together for an inexperienced goaltender. I assume Smith will get asked about that in the presser ahead of next weekend's games.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post

Yes, your eyes did miss one. A 11-0 beating by Clarkson on 11/22/97.
                                FWIW, during that 85-86 season, that was one of 3 times that RPI gave up 10+ goals in a game (10-3 loss to Yale and a wild 11-10 loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor were the others).
                                For those of us old enough to remember (even though we try to forget), during the much shorter season of 1965-1966 when we only played a total of 19 games, we had four games in which teams hit the double digits against us including a 16-1 loss to Clarkson. That situation could have had one more double digit game as i recall since we lost to BU (in Boston) by 9-0 and only with my classmate Dick Greenlaw in goal making 78 recorded saves (and at least 4 hitting the post or cross bar) were we able to avoid a higher score against. BTW I have my score sheet from that game around here somewhere and IIRC I had Dick making 30+ saves in the first period alone.
                                Next weekend we have a series against LIU where hopefully we can right the ship quickly. Just hoping this was just a glitch and not a trend.

Comment

Working...
                                X