This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

Oh I see. Yep, Fridgen would definitely know much more about the game than Schott
    Lots of people know more about the game that Schott. But he has daily dealings with a very thin-skinned coach; circumspection may be the order of the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post

You know that is a coaches poll, right? We twice beat a Union team that is now 1-6-1 overall. I agree we are probably worthy of getting some votes, but not something I'm getting angry over.
      It is not a coaches poll. Our full body of work is deserving of votes, not because we beat a 1-6-1 team.

Comment

• Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post

You know that is a coaches poll, right? We twice beat a Union team that is now 1-6-1 overall. I agree we are probably worthy of getting some votes, but not something I'm getting angry over.
        You're right. I think polls are overrated, especially at this point in the season. However, if Union swept the weekend, they'd be 3-4-1 and we'd be 2-4-1. If we blew the weekend vs. Union, the atmosphere around here would be pretty bad. The posts would be toast. Life is much better when we're 4-2-1... let's keep the trend line moving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I agree - the D looks very composed in the early going. The upcoming weekend will be more of a test for the squad -- in the games I have seen including this weekend, they miss a lot of open chances on offense, which will haunt you if you can't bury those against the top teams.
          We do seem to miss a number of open chance. Just for fun - as of now after 7 games, suppose you are the coach and the team plays a tie through regulation and the idiotic 3 x 3 OT. Now you have a 3 person shootout. Who do you choose from our roster to be the 3 players to take the shootout shots??
          Additionally, for those like myself who have been around this program for many years, who would you choose from the rosters from the past 60+ years?? Pick any 3 you want.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

We do seem to miss a number of open chance. Just for fun - as of now after 7 games, suppose you are the coach and the team plays a tie through regulation and the idiotic 3 x 3 OT. Now you have a 3 person shootout. Who do you choose from our roster to be the 3 players to take the shootout shots??
            Additionally, for those like myself who have been around this program for many years, who would you choose from the rosters from the past 60+ years?? Pick any 3 you want.
            Generational knee jerk answer: Pirri, Carter, Chiarelli )
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

3 x 3 OT lines:

Juneau-Oates-Pothier
              Tapper-Murley-Bailen
              Pirri-Healey-Carter

Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Generational knee jerk answer: Pirri, Carter, Chiarelli )
                Nice group! My all time choice would be Brinkworth, Servinis, and Cavosie but followed closely by Richardson, Tapper, Healey and Pirri.
                For this year my choices are Lepannen, Bowman, Walsh ( but Linden as an option). I am just old enough to have seen Brinkworth in his last year and still consider hm as the top penalty shot man.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post

3 x 3 OT lines:

Juneau-Oates-Pothier
                  Tapper-Murley-Bailen
                  Pirri-Healey-Carter
                  I could not argue with any of those three choices for 3 x 3 except I would want a Defenseman for the last group and would go with just about any of the crew from 1985.

Comment

• It's quite hard to choose between people from different eras. I won't take anyone whom I didn't see which means that Brinkworth won't be chosen. (I did see him in one alumni game, but I won't count that.)

You can't go wrong with jericho's picks of Juneau, Oates, and Pothier. I will have to think about two other groupings.

DrD, I have the gut feeling that Healey could have been a defenseman. His son Ryan plays defense.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Just going with the players I have seen in person.
                      Pirri-Richardson-Pothier
                      Polacek-Tapper-Bailen
                      Cavosie-Murley-Basiuk
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

• In the old days we did not often get to see how boys performed on penalty shots as there were zero shootouts (classic hockey as far as I am concerned). But you did sometimes get to see the moves on a breakaway. For those too young to have seen them, Bob Brinkworth was magical and of course the few breakaways we saw from George Servinis were quite often successful.

Comment

In the old days we did not often get to see how boys performed on penalty shots as there were zero shootouts (classic hockey as far as I am concerned). But you did sometimes get to see the moves on a breakaway. For those too young to have seen them, Bob Brinkworth was magical and of course the few breakaways we saw from George Servinis were quite often successful.
                          I suspect that Servinis would be better than Carter on 3v3.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I suspect that Servinis would be better than Carter on 3v3.
                            I saw Brinkworth. In a playoff game he controlled the puck for almost 2 minutes killing a penalty against BC in a playoff game.
                            Rookie of the year sophomore year. Eastern hockey player of the year Junior and Senior.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

I saw Brinkworth. In a playoff game he controlled the puck for almost 2 minutes killing a penalty against BC in a playoff game.
                              Rookie of the year sophomore year. Eastern hockey player of the year Junior and Senior.
                              As Ralph posted, it is difficult to compare players from different eras but he just had as much skill (but not the size) of any college hockey player I ever saw play for RPI. Again, before the unfortunate advent of the shootout, we saw so few clean breakaways or penalty shots on the goal but if I had to pick boys to take that shot, Brinkworth would have to be in the top group.

Comment

• Oates
                                Servinis
                                Murley

honorable mention to Nienhuis, who scored a memorable PS against UNH in 84, I think
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X