This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

I know - i was just using Dan as a comparison as someone who has played the game (rather well i might add) as a counter point to Schott who made the comment about the bounce of the puck.
    Oh I see. Yep, Fridgen would definitely know much more about the game than Schott

Comment

• I know we haven't exactly played a murderer's row of opponents, but it's obvious that Coach Smith at least held the program together through all of the pandemic upheaval and they should be very competitive this season. He wasn't my choice for the position but he's proved me wrong and is deserving of a contract extension. I hope they have something in the works or, at a bare minimum, quietly extended him for the season that was lost. We picked up a couple of good looking recruits recently so I'm cautiously optimistic that they were given assurances that Smith would remain behind our bench beyond this season.

On a completely unrelated note, I was looking at the attendance figures in some of the box scores and it's obvious that either schools are limiting ticket sales or there's still a significant component of the college hockey fan base that hasn't returned to in-person viewing. Although they've never been a great draw, the most pathetic example has to be the 100 or so friends and family that I'd estimate are in attendance (I'm watching ESPN+ stream of game) at Colgate's small but beautiful Class of '65 Rink.

Comment

• Perhaps not a murderer's row but BG is quite good. After 7 games we still have not lost in regulation to anyone. This is already showing that they are at least a good team. Next weekend after SLU and Clarkson we will know if they are an even more competitive team. We have shown we have some speed (not the fastest of teams but we have shown flashes). What we have shown is something that has been missing for some time. We are a big team and we win lots of battles along the boards. it is not easy for anyone to move #22 or #25 out of the way as they are like semi-trucks that are just not pushed around easily. Defensive pairings are showing some cohesion and allowing a very much improved Marshall to see most shots and he has been one of the most improved players on the team. Still has some moments that can be a bit loose but he has already made some spectacular saves, has one shutout and came within seconds of another.
        It's a long season and we have a long way to go but is anyone dissatisfied with the start we have had? We could be one of the most exciting teams to watch that very few are getting to see due to the ridiculous home attendance regulations. i agree totally that our Coach has shown that this program would be in very good hands and his time in Troy should be extended immediately!
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• I don't see how anyone could be upset about the start that this team has produced. Marshall has been great so far. And I think that it can only help his confidence going forward.
          My only problem so far is the inability to finish their open opportunities.
          The best part of last nights game was that we owned the third period. I never thought that we were in trouble, and after the second goal, I was ready to light the cigar.
          So far so good, but we have more tests to come.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            We have climbed back to #8 in the still meaningless pairwise. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/pairwise/
            and #1 in the more important ECAC. :-)

Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• We are playing better than every team in the ECAC (minus Ivy League because they all just started so I'm not going to judge them yet) except for Quinnipiac right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                We are playing better than every team in the ECAC (minus Ivy League because they all just started so I'm not going to judge them yet) except for Quinnipiac right now.
                Sez: We should find out all about that next weekend. Early indications are we are a slight favorite over SLU with a most likely score of 2-1. Clarkson we are dead even with and a most likely score of 2-2. But that could change. Hard for me to evaluate totally but it appears we bring more to the table this year with size helping greatly for puck battles along the boards and in front of the net. Glad to see we won the face off battle Saturday as we need to dominate for puck control. I have been over the moon with the start for this team. If not for the detestable x 3 OT's, we would be undefeated and 4-0-3. 7 games (8 if you include an exhibition) and no team has beaten us in regulation time speaks volumes so far.

Comment

• Speaking of stats, I looked this up and found that in the entire history of RPI hockey, they have never had a season start by giving up 2 goals or less in regulation time in the first 7 games of any season. There were a couple of occasions of allowing 3 or less. I know that they haven’t played the elite of the ECAC or the NCAA yet, but if they can do this against Clarkson and SLU this upcoming weekend, this would speak volumes on how good defensively this team can be.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Sez: We should find out all about that next weekend. Early indications are we are a slight favorite over SLU with a most likely score of 2-1. Clarkson we are dead even with and a most likely score of 2-2. But that could change. Hard for me to evaluate totally but it appears we bring more to the table this year with size helping greatly for puck battles along the boards and in front of the net. Glad to see we won the face off battle Saturday as we need to dominate for puck control. I have been over the moon with the start for this team. If not for the detestable x 3 OT's, we would be undefeated and 4-0-3. 7 games (8 if you include an exhibition) and no team has beaten us in regulation time speaks volumes so far.
                    Totally agree

Comment

• For those who follow football- new D3 rankings are out and we are #23!!!!!!We travel up to SLU next weekend and have a game we might and could win. Union meanwhile has to play the same Ithaca team we just beat and that should be the toughest game on each team's schedule. We are scheduled to travel over to Union the following week. it probably matters little who wins the Ithaca Union game as if we can beat SLU, we would still need to defeat union to be the league champion and move on into the NCAA championship round.
                      In any scenario - a substantially successful year for our boys who are now 7-1 in spite of playing to an empty stadium at home.

Comment

• I was inspired to make power rankings after thinking about the ECAC so far this season http://redarmy.union.rpi.edu/?p=503

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                          Speaking of stats, I looked this up and found that in the entire history of RPI hockey, they have never had a season start by giving up 2 goals or less in regulation time in the first 7 games of any season. There were a couple of occasions of allowing 3 or less. I know that they haven’t played the elite of the ECAC or the NCAA yet, but if they can do this against Clarkson and SLU this upcoming weekend, this would speak volumes on how good defensively this team can be.
                          I agree - the D looks very composed in the early going. The upcoming weekend will be more of a test for the squad -- in the games I have seen including this weekend, they miss a lot of open chances on offense, which will haunt you if you can't bury those against the top teams.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• I thought that we would get some votes this week. :-( https://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-m...ll/2021-11-01/
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I thought that we would get some votes this week. :-( https://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-m...ll/2021-11-01/
                              We should but the media is stupid as usual

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

We should but the media is stupid as usual
                                You know that is a coaches poll, right? We twice beat a Union team that is now 1-6-1 overall. I agree we are probably worthy of getting some votes, but not something I'm getting angry over.

Comment

Working...
                                X