Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like the idea of professional college sports, but long ago, in the U.S., things went way beyond my tolerance level, in sports like football and basketball. Still, I like the idealistic notion that when a top hockey player chooses the college route (vs CHL etc.) they are choosing to focus on a combination of education opportunity and athletic sport for 4 years, and deferring pro sports for that period of time.

Comment

• Ture Linden graduated from RPI in 3 years and is currently doing a masters. But because he secured a deal for his own clothing line, you think he's not focused on academics and playing hockey? What a ridiculous assumption. And I'd love to know why this makes college sports "professional". An athlete getting an endorsement deal isn't the same as the school directly paying him

Comment

• T/U moving a story that RPI is "loosening" the attendance edicts for outdoor events..OUTDOOR events. Seniors are allowed 4 family members in the stadium...what a generous gesture A joke... No on-field ceremonies for the seniors .....OUTDOORS... OUT ....FREAKING.... DOORS.... yes, I am and still remain PO'd .
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
          Woah! I know that college hockey is way behind other sports re: professionalizing the game, but ...https://www.novusclothingcompany.com/turelindenshop.
          Novus is locally based. The two Bernardo brothers that run it played baseball for LaSalle and Maine. Their dad played for Academy, was an All-American at Maine, and played in 3 college world series.

Comment

I don't like the idea of professional college sports, but long ago, in the U.S., things went way beyond my tolerance level, in sports like football and basketball. Still, I like the idealistic notion that when a top hockey player chooses the college route (vs CHL etc.) they are choosing to focus on a combination of education opportunity and athletic sport for 4 years, and deferring pro sports for that period of time.
            Having control of the rights to your image, and being able to monetize it, is different than "professional college sports". Of course, there is opportunity for abuse or undesirable outcomes, but I think the NCAA had to open this limited opportunity given the money it was pulling in through the revenue sports.

Comment

• You all probably saw that there is an opportunity to bid on the Blackout game jerseys. You have to wait until the game for the reveal, however: https://twitter.com/RPIAthletics/sta...16075016097793

Comment

Woah! I know that college hockey is way behind other sports re: professionalizing the game, but ...https://www.novusclothingcompany.com/turelindenshop.
                Well, he is a management major, so maybe it is a homework assignment. ;-)
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Looks like for today's games the RPI football team is a rather large 1 touchdown underdog to Ithaca. The men's hockey team a very slight favorite over Union.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• I forgot to listen to Talkin' Neers last week. Here is this week's program. https://open.spotify.com/episode/7EfWmWHFRG2GVT8S3Tko86
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Looks like for today's games the RPI football team is a rather large 1 touchdown underdog to Ithaca. The men's hockey team a very slight favorite over Union.
                      And the girls are being quoted as an even pick against SLU. Never ever thought that would be the case before the season started.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Well, he is a management major, so maybe it is a homework assignment. ;-)
                        Not a lot of RPI students (let alone hockey players) with his academic accomplishment. Getting an RPI degree in 4 years is tough enough but what Linden has been able to do is outstanding. This is Juneau-esque!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Not a lot of RPI students (let alone hockey players) with his academic accomplishment. Getting an RPI degree in 4 years is tough enough but what Linden has been able to do is outstanding. This is Juneau-esque!!
                          He probably transferred quite a few credits which he earned while in Juniors. That's one thing about 20-year old frosh -- they have taken college courses before arriving in college.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                            You all probably saw that there is an opportunity to bid on the Blackout game jerseys. You have to wait until the game for the reveal, however: https://twitter.com/RPIAthletics/sta...16075016097793
                            I noticed that one of the options for winning bidders was " picking up " the sweater. Seeing as how the unwashed commoners aren't supposedly allowed on campus, where would this illicit "pick up" location be? ....Perhaps behind the port-o-johns they're forcing the football parents to use ?? Ha ha what a joke.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                              Ture Linden graduated from RPI in 3 years and is currently doing a masters. But because he secured a deal for his own clothing line, you think he's not focused on academics and playing hockey? What a ridiculous assumption. And I'd love to know why this makes college sports "professional". An athlete getting an endorsement deal isn't the same as the school directly paying him
                              100%. From his bio, the kid clearly has his *&^% together. "...Business and Management undergraduate degree ... Business Administration graduate major ... Graduated Magna Cum Laude with Business & Management undergraduate degree ... Dean's Honor List ... Interned with CGI (business systems analyst) and TeraThink (operations) past two summers ... Volunteer with Street Soldiers, Wounded Warrior Project and STRIDE..."

And FWIW, I ordered a TL shirt !
                              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-29-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Is it an actual sellout, or are they only selling a limited amount of tickets to keep fans separated?
                                From watching the video of the game, it looks like the latter was the case; it was clear that not every seat was filled and there were few people in the standing room areas.
                                Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 10-29-2021, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X