This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

Well said. They just sit back and hope for a mistake. But if you don't pressure the puck, they will not make a mistake.
    I would rather see them aggressive than what they are doing now.
    Maybe my perception was skewed by RPI's really poor opening first 10 minutes--they were that bad, anything better than that might just look acceptable--but I didn't see the overall third period play as a strategy issue; the shots were basically even and we were still skating and defending well. I would agree that the approach to the 6-on-5 phase was off, but not sure if that was a strategy issue or a lack of execution/running out of gas. Plus, it is hard to sustain an aggressive forecheck for 60 minutes--compare Vermont in the first 10 minutes to the rest of the game. The bigger areas of improvement for RPI are to finish more of the good chances they created and to get better at faceoffs. I thought those were bigger factors that helped keep Vermont in the game.

Comment

• DN- All true and very perceptive. Obviously I have watched our teams for many years. With rare exception we always seem to have this sit back and defend approach on those fairly common 6 on 5 situations while many other teams pressure the puck especially at the points. As EHR mentions, often it is like an unsuccessful rope-a-dope prevent defense and we end up giving up some horrific chances against and some times the tie goal. Now that we have to suffer through a 3 x 3 OT or even a shootout, avoiding that situation becomes even more critical. Overall I was satisfied with most of our play last night and perhaps being a bit picky. A good part of why we had some more difficulty with Vermont than perhaps we should have can also be laid at the face off circle. We did poorly for much of the game - but watching the linesmen dropping the puck explains some of that. For any team to be successful they need to control the puck and take possession off the face offs. We simply were not able to do that last night.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        DN- All true and very perceptive. Obviously I have watched our teams for many years. With rare exception we always seem to have this sit back and defend approach on those fairly common 6 on 5 situations while many other teams pressure the puck especially at the points. As EHR mentions, often it is like an unsuccessful rope-a-dope prevent defense and we end up giving up some horrific chances against and some times the tie goal. Now that we have to suffer through a 3 x 3 OT or even a shootout, avoiding that situation becomes even more critical. Overall I was satisfied with most of our play last night and perhaps being a bit picky. A good part of why we had some more difficulty with Vermont than perhaps we should have can also be laid at the face off circle. We did poorly for much of the game - but watching the linesmen dropping the puck explains some of that. For any team to be successful they need to control the puck and take possession off the face offs. We simply were not able to do that last night.
        Funny you should mention the linesman dropping the puck Doc. I was at the game with my son who is a UVM student. My son hangs with a number of the kids on the club hockey team (hopes to join them next year) and he told me that the linesman was one of the kids from the club team (24 year old grad student). Says the guy is a piece of work... has played against him in stick and puck and says the guy doesn't care one iota about making plays all he tries to do is run kids through the boards. At any rate... surprised you would let one of the UVM club team kids be a linesman... might account for the poor face-off performance.

Overall I thought the team was solid after Marshall stood on his head to keep it scoreless in the first 5 mins or so. Marshall was solid throughout... UVM did shoot a lot of pucks high - reminded me of the Engineers when Appert was coach. And yes... the team is being coached to pack it in on the 6 on 5 - we could hear Coach Smith yelling "keep your shape" throughout the 6 on 5 action. I commented to my family after the game... I wonder if it would be better just to pull your goalie also when up by two and then just see who can score first - force the aggression. I was kidding but sometimes when I watch teams sit back and just absorb shots I have to think there is a clever coach out there somewhere thinking about this.

A few other random thoughts... nice snipe by Linden. He looked good. Sertii and Baxter impressed me on the D end. Sellar either is nursing something or just has a very weird looking stride. Nice to be at a game again after so long - you forget how fast things happen out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
          I was at the game with my son who is a UVM student. My son hangs with a number of the kids on the club hockey team (hopes to join them next year) and he told me that the linesman was one of the kids from the club team (24 year old grad student).
          Wait, what? I know that it is not unusual to have referees work some games involving their alma maters, but currently enrolled students? The ref/linesman pool must be limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Wait, what? I know that it is not unusual to have referees work some games involving their alma maters, but currently enrolled students? The ref/linesman pool must be limited.

I know... that struck me as questionable and I would have thought he was mistaken except for a couple of things. My son has a very keen eye and we were right in front of the dot so I doubt he would have gotten it wrong. And then the way that the linesman did face-offs - backing in butt first while looking at the outside wing in the attacking dot and then spinning to drop the puck. Never saw that before... very odd to me and fit the personality characterization that my son gave.

I do think it's a small population though when it comes to these positions. I've had another HE official ref my morning league games in the past. There probably aren't more than a handful of extra guys available whenever a regular cannot make it. Especially as we come out of Covid...
            Last edited by jmhusker; 10-25-2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmhusker View Post

I know... that struck me as questionable and I would have thought he was mistaken except for a couple of things. My son has a very keen eye and we were right in front of the dot so I doubt he would have gotten it wrong. And then the way that the linesman did face-offs - backing in butt first while looking at the outside wing in the attacking dot and then spinning to drop the puck. Never saw that before... very odd to me and fit the personality characterization that my son gave.

I do think it's a small population though when it comes to these positions. I've had another HE official ref my morning league games in the past. There probably aren't more than a handful of extra guys available whenever a regular cannot make it. Especially as we come out of Covid...
              I am just one of those who looks at some of the little things that can once in a while determine the way games are played or even the final result. We are a fairly decent face off team with Linden and Dubinsky taking most of them. It can be all about timing though and both seemed to have trouble with the linesmen in Vermont. I think I saw so many false drops, then backing out by the linesman with an arm raised only to then move forward and quickly drop the puck. The first period was horrid for our guys trying to sweep the puck backwards. They seemed to finally figure him out in the second only to have him switch it up in the third. I could give two hoots about this in center ice but when you have so many face offs for icing (perhaps due to the bigger ice surface) and especially trying to kill off 4 penalties, this kind of thing can make a difference. Glad you saw it similarly.
              BTW I felt the delay penalty was BS. I understand the rule and it can be called. But whether you should call it or not is another story especially when the delay is caused by the linesman!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Based on the UVM box score, this is the kid that worked lines with Jason Shattie.
                https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...vor-disbennett
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Linden Marshall won ECAC GotW. That means we swept the category because Amanda Rampado won the women's award.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    BTW I felt the delay penalty was BS. I understand the rule and it can be called. But whether you should call it or not is another story especially when the delay is caused by the linesman!!
                    Yup... that penalty was weak to say the least.

Comment

• When did they change the face off rules.
                      Instead of throwing the offending center out, the linesman just raises his arm to indicate which player caused the delay. Do they not throw the offending player out of the face off cir cle anymore?
                      And I guess a second offense causes a delay of game penalty. Who came up with that gem?
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                        When did they change the face off rules.
                        Instead of throwing the offending center out, the linesman just raises his arm to indicate which player caused the delay. Do they not throw the offending player out of the face off cir cle anymore?
                        And I guess a second offense causes a delay of game penalty. Who came up with that gem?
                        EHF: Some people feel you have to keep screwing with the greatest game so they come up with idiotic ideas like that and of course my favorite, 3 on 3 OT or shootouts. I suppose one day they will decide tie games with goaltender thumb wrestling!

Comment

• More positive vibes coming out of Troy.....can June get here fast enough ?? The results of a survey - conducted by an alum at the request of an RPI Trustee - blasted the administration and the on campus environment. The regime attempted to stifle the results of the survey ....surprise, surprise, surprise.

Among the findings: "...More than 70 percent of faculty and staff, 1,085 in total, completed the survey, according to Deutsch.
                          Based on the survey results, Deutsch describes a "fear-based, unhealthy, stifling culture across the RPI campus."

https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...P-CP-Spotlight
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• It's a sellout for Friday night vs. Union at Itza Messa...hopefully the boys in Cherry and White get it done !

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              More positive vibes coming out of Troy.....can June get here fast enough ?? The results of a survey - conducted by an alum at the request of an RPI Trustee - blasted the administration and the on campus environment. The regime attempted to stifle the results of the survey ....surprise, surprise, surprise.
                              Has a search for her successor begun yet? Does anyone know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                It's a sellout for Friday night vs. Union at Itza Messa...hopefully the boys in Cherry and White get it done !
                                This doesn't make any sense to me. I've been going to this game the past 3 years, and it's never been a sellout. I'm pretty annoyed that I'm going to be missing it. Had no idea the supply was low, figured I could get tickets at the door like always.

My theory is that RPI fans gobbled up the tickets due to not being able to attend home games. The alternative is that Union fans are irrationally excited about a 1-4-1 team. I think it's pretty obvious which is more likely

Comment

Working...
                                X