This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jericho View Post

I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on the flow, but based on Kurt and Yancey's commentary, I think that was the correct decision. You're 6-0 going in, and a loss does major damage to a league title opportunity considering the upcoming schedule. Put it in the hands of the defense which has been playing great. Take your chances in OT.
    i watched on the Hobart feed so i did not hear Kurt (which I would always prefer to do). We simply could not move the ball all game. I am not second guessing the coach but I think it might have crossed his mind to go for the 2 points since we might never get another chance. Much of the game we had less than 10 yards total passing! We were somewhat effective running but Hobart was almost a totally on the ground team. Was just a thought on my part. With only 3 minutes left I was excited we finally scored giving us then the choice of 1 or 2 points. The schedule does not get any easier for us now with Ithaca and union on the horizon.
    Oh well - now getting ready for hockey and RPI vs Canisius round 2!!!!!!!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• postgame
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QsnnF1McrM
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• The coach saw the game exactly how I saw it.
        We have to work on our mental toughness.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

• highlights and lowlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpPtvQP3ldI
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• One thing that struck me this weekend, and maybe I'm just out of practice watching the college game, but I thought both 5 minute major/misconducts that were given--1 to Canisius (DiGrande) and 1 to RPI (Addamo)--were harsh. I know that more attention is being paid to head contact, but these two seemed to be another step in limiting discretionary body checks altogether. They were both heavy hits, but not sure either player could have done more to avoid penalty, other than just avoiding the check altogether. I wonder if this will be a trend in ECAC officiating this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
              One thing that struck me this weekend, and maybe I'm just out of practice watching the college game, but I thought both 5 minute major/misconducts that were given--1 to Canisius (DiGrande) and 1 to RPI (Addamo)--were harsh. I know that more attention is being paid to head contact, but these two seemed to be another step in limiting discretionary body checks altogether. They were both heavy hits, but not sure either player could have done more to avoid penalty, other than just avoiding the check altogether. I wonder if this will be a trend in ECAC officiating this year.
              I didn't see the hit by Digrande but it was called an elbow -- which they'll call every time espeically if its to the head...
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Congrats to Brian Pothier for being named an asst. coach on the USA Women's Olympic Team staff.

https://www.uscho.com/2021/10/16/for...oaching-staff/
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I didn't see the hit by Digrande but it was called an elbow -- which they'll call every time espeically if its to the head...
                  Agreed, but Dan's arms were down at the moment of contact, and I don't think he made contact to the head from my view of the video. Maybe I am making too much of a couple of penalties, but both incidents appeared totally clean to me, albeit both were hard hits that flattened people. Maybe calling the game more tightly to avoid those types of collisions is what needs to happen for safety, but I wonder if the ECAC has conveyed this to the teams, or whether teams should be looking to adjust to evolving officiating. 5 minute majors need to get called for safety, and leagues should protect players, but 5 minute power plays are so disruptive that teams should be given notice if officials are going to tighten up boundaries of permissible hits.

Comment

Agreed, but Dan's arms were down at the moment of contact, and I don't think he made contact to the head from my view of the video. Maybe I am making too much of a couple of penalties, but both incidents appeared totally clean to me, albeit both were hard hits that flattened people. Maybe calling the game more tightly to avoid those types of collisions is what needs to happen for safety, but I wonder if the ECAC has conveyed this to the teams, or whether teams should be looking to adjust to evolving officiating. 5 minute majors need to get called for safety, and leagues should protect players, but 5 minute power plays are so disruptive that teams should be given notice if officials are going to tighten up boundaries of permissible hits.
                    Did you see the video of the non-call that allowed Minnesota to defeat SCSU in 3x3 OT? https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke/stat...35789788848128 Conceivably there was embellishment, but something should have been called. See all of the "quote tweets" also.

Edit: Aftermath https://www.startribune.com/nchc-iss...ame/600107562/.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-18-2021, 01:50 PM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm certainly not surprised. ECAC refs have a long history of calling penalties for "hitting too loudly" ... just ask Luke Curadi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

I'm certainly not surprised. ECAC refs have a long history of calling penalties for "hitting too loudly" ... just ask Luke Curadi.
                        Very true. That hit on Gostisbehere still reverberates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Did you see the video of the non-call that allowed Minnesota to defeat SCSU in 3x3 OT? https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke/stat...35789788848128 Conceivably there was embellishment, but something should have been called. See all of the "quote tweets" also.

Edit: Aftermath https://www.startribune.com/nchc-iss...ame/600107562/.
                          Puzzling statement: "penalty or penalties should have been called." Hook on UMN? Embellishment on SCSU? Both?

Comment

• Assuming I didn't miss someone, it looks like no current players or known recruits are on the NHL Plyers to Watch list. https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/a...-file/file.pdf
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• As an outsider, I'm curious what sweet deal RPI was offered that the Engineers agreed to FOUR games in six days up in Fairbanks vs UAF.
                              I would be happy if RPI came to Houghton for just two games. We won't even make you play on week nights.
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                As an outsider, I'm curious what sweet deal RPI was offered that the Engineers agreed to FOUR games in six days up in Fairbanks vs UAF.
                                I would be happy if RPI came to Houghton for just two games. We won't even make you play on week nights.
                                I don't have an answer. Perhaps someone else does. Originally, I figured that RPI would set up a fan trip with tours in the middle, but that hasn't happened. It did allow us to play 38 games this year, but considering that RPI is only allowing non-paying students, faculty, and staff into home games this year, we certainly aren't getting a cash windfall. I suppose that UA_ is paying RPI like they did WCHA teams in the past.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X