RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

Any time an RPI team puts 5 goals on the board its a good thing.
    Right! Just looked at the stats and everything seems like a positive. SOG, Face offs, etc. Perhaps we take a few too many penalties but really hard to know if they were mostly good ones that needed to be taken. The bulk of the penalty minutes was the KH hit from behind (a bit surprising as many years ago he was always such a gentleman on the ice when he played in Howell NJ - kidding of course!) Far too early to know anything but next weekend might give us a really decent chance to find out how tough a team we will be to play against with a pair against BG.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Right! Just looked at the stats and everything seems like a positive. SOG, Face offs, etc. Perhaps we take a few too many penalties but really hard to know if they were mostly good ones that needed to be taken. The bulk of the penalty minutes was the KH hit from behind (a bit surprising as many years ago he was always such a gentleman on the ice when he played in Howell NJ - kidding of course!) Far too early to know anything but next weekend might give us a really decent chance to find out how tough a team we will be to play against with a pair against BG.
      It does seem that way. It is also good to see that all three goalies played a period.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We did not look good for the first 10 minutes and then Sellar's goal jumpstarted the team. We looked like the better team for the rest of the game.

Notes:
        1) Ture Linden looked like the best player on the ice. No bad shifts, smart decisions everywhere, good plays in all 3 zones, got rewarded with a goal.
        2) Top line of Walsh-Linden-Addamo was strong. Wish we got to see more of them.
        3) Beaton definitely has 2 way potential, but he might take a little time to adjust to the college game
        4) Sellar was outstanding. 3 point night, played well on both PP and PK
        5) Liked the way the Mahshie-Dubinsky-Bowman line looked, but they were only together half the game. Wish I could have seen more of them.
        6) Leppanen had a sweet feed backdoor for Lacka's goal. Leppanen-Herrman-Lacka line was good too.
        7) Hallbauer's major was total bullsh?t. He laid a shoulder on shoulder hit near the boards, and it got called a major even after review. Made no sense. Still don't think it even deserved a minor.
        8) Sertti was very good on the blueline. Liked his skating, passing and two way play. Very smart player.
        9) Davies has tons of athletic potential but he seemed jittery. Might just need time to adjust.
        10) Kjellberg made some mistakes early on but settled down. Would have liked to see him be more impactful overall.
        11) Klee looked good overall. Seemed improved offensively and just as good defensively.
        12) Johnson was good, but I would have liked to see him get more involved offensively because he has good offensive skills.
        13) Helsen is good in his own end but doesn't have much offense. Nothing wrong with it. Liked the way he played.
        14) Agnew is a great skater and has good 2 way play. He's not super polished, but he has lots of potential.
        15) Baxter might be our best defenseman. He absolutely ate up ice time all game, played in every situation, and looked comfortable and confident. His experience is obvious, and he's a great addition.
        16) Gagnon is a shooter for sure. He had the 4th goal and was always looking to pull the trigger.
        17) Didn't notice Nykanen much.
        18) Leibold and McIsaac both made smart plays, skated well and forechecked hard.
        19) Schreifels looked good, but I didn't watch him as much and wish I got to see more of him.
        20) Brackett's speed is obvious and jumps out. Incredibly fast.
        21) All goalies looked good. Marshall was great and I thought he was our best one. Miller was solid. Really liked Watson, and he was the only to not allow a goal. I'd rank them as Marshall > Watson > Miller.
        22) Some obvious things that need to be worked on. Power play stood out, did not like the way it looked. Occasional sloppy play clearing the zone.

Good start to the year, still a lot of work to do.
        LETS GO RED

Comment

Sezenack, did anyone have a C or A on their uniform?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Sezenack, did anyone have a C or A on their uniform?
            Nope

Comment

I thought Linden was the best player as well, and I loved watching this line. Addamo moves good for his size. I thought Hallbauer's penalty could have been called as 2 min, but never as a 5 minute and game misconduct. Union had a similar hit, I believe on Herrman in the 3rd period, and nothing was called. I loved Sellar as well, he was very noticeable on every shift. Gagnon is a feisty player and I was happy he got the goal. Kjellberg needs to clean up his game. Baxter looked good on defense. I really liked Watson in goal, as Union was coming on in the 3rd period, but he looked solid.

Comment

Thanks to sezenack and go puckman for the scouting reports.
                Sounds like we have something to build on this season.
                I like the fact that it was Union and not Canadian College that we played, as we get a better picture of our game against an ECAC opponent.
                Look forward to watching them next week.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Thanks for the reports! Didn't hear anything on werpi while I driving last night. Are they not covering (a) exhibitions, (b) road games or (c) games in high school venues?

Comment

Sez: Thanks for the very complete summary. I had two friends at the game who gave me a very similar report on the game this morning. They emphasized the Brackett displayed both quickness and speed comparable to some past RPI players - equal to Drew Melanson and with a top speed almost up to Kelly Askew levels! They were particularly impressed that after about the mid way time of the first period we were indeed the better team and obviously difficult to be ridden off the puck or pushed out of position. They agreed the Hallbauer call was BS and attributed it to being simply a home arena call. BTW both used the term 'dump' to describe the arena in general terms. They were not able to give any more information about our line combinations since they switched around a bit but that we demonstrated really good size and strength. Overall team speed they rated only moderate but showed signs of good first step quickness and good decision making for a first game especially it being an exhibition with lots of new faces.
                    I await 2what we get to see next weekend but I am getting a nice feeling about this season!

Comment

• Our average size is 6'0.6" and 190.5 LBs. Definitely have a good sized team this season.

Bowling Green is listed at 6'0.34" and 182.3 LBs for reference, so we'll have a decent size advantage this weekend.

Comment

• Schenectady Gazette coverage (Ken "Slap" Schott back on the Union beat this year) https://dailygazette.com/2021/10/02/...ey-exhibition/

FWIW, I like the new red road uniforms.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                          Our average size is 6'0.6" and 190.5 LBs. Definitely have a good sized team this season.

Bowling Green is listed at 6'0.34" and 182.3 LBs for reference, so we'll have a decent size advantage this weekend.
                          Thanks for the numbers -we do appear to certainly be a bigger team than we have over the past few years. over the many years of following, I have seen many big size boys in the cherry and white. often however, they do not seem to make use of the size and play like much smaller players. This does not appear to be the case this year and I expect many teams will find they have a handfull trying to move us around either against the boards or in front of the nets. I fully understand that talent is the most important criteria, but given that many of these players are of relatively equal ability, I am a very orthodox Newtonian and believe big thing can hit harder and move small things out of the way a bit further. Having played this port (50+ years ago)and being tall but not in any way heavy or blessed with much upper body strength, I am still nursing some of the injuries I got from being hit by larger players. I have had both shoulders and both knees repaired (several times each) which we can attribute to hockey. And suffered from long standing tinnitus from a hit to the head from a player who felt that what I said about his mother was untrue!
                          All kidding aside, I think we can expect a very exciting season from this team and give many a surprise if not a rude awakening.

Comment

• I certainly do not know what the scholarship situation is at RPI, but it appears that Dave Smith has a different philosophy than Seth Appert did. SA appears to have given some players full scholarships while others were walk-ons or got relatively little from the athletic scholarship pool. I base this upon the wide range of talent among the players. Certainly the third goalie was usually a walk-on. On the other hand, Coach Smith appears to be dividing the 18 scholarships among all of the players. IMO, there are no obvious walk-ons, and no players at the Brandon Pirri level. That is mirrored by the scarcity of NRL draft choices lately. It is also possible that some players are getting academic aid besides for athletic scholarships.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this? Which is better?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I certainly do not know what the scholarship situation is at RPI, but it appears that Dave Smith has a different philosophy than Seth Appert did. SA appears to have given some players full scholarships while others were walk-ons or got relatively little from the athletic scholarship pool. I base this upon the wide range of talent among the players. Certainly the third goalie was usually a walk-on. On the other hand, Coach Smith appears to be dividing the 18 scholarships among all of the players. IMO, there are no obvious walk-ons, and no players at the Brandon Pirri level. That is mirrored by the scarcity of NRL draft choices lately. It is also possible that some players are getting academic aid besides for athletic scholarships.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this? Which is better?
                              I don't disagree at all. I personally think that top-end talent is always tougher to acquire/develop than depth. On the surface, that means I'd agree with Appert's philosophy more. However, Smith has shown me that he is able to develop top-end talent regardless of how they are rated as recruits. His player development has shown to be outstanding and shown an ability to develop diamonds from the rough. Guys like Ture Linden, Owen Savory, Kyle Hallbauer, Jake Marrello, Mike Gornall, etc were all low-rated recruits, and he developed all of them into capable top 6 forwards/top 4 d-men/elite goaltenders. If you can do that without recruiting full scholarship players, you're going to have crazy good depth and a good team overall. Personally, I think a mix of the 2 is best. The way BU, BC, Michigan, etc. recruit by just taking in a million 18 year old draft picks isn't winning championships anymore. Of that group, BC has the most recent title in 2012. The way that Atlantic Hockey schools recruit isn't good either. Recruiting all 21 year old players that aren't as skilled isn't winning them anything either. To me, the way that Quinnipiac, Clarkson and Cornell recruit is the best way and is what I hope DS ends up doing as he continues growing the program. Get talented and mature 19/20/21 year olds who end up as good USHL and BCHL players and mix in an 18 year old draft pick or 2 every year. You end up with maturity, skill, and talent this way (enough to compete for a championship and be in the NCAA tournament every year) while not being too young or underdeveloped as a team like the BC's, Michigans, BU's, etc. are.

Comment

• Not being really expert in anything except the practice of medicine - I have no idea. But i keep thinking how everything is now in flux. The entire world has changed these past 2 years and I am sure affected recruiting for college sports teams. i think the old rules and the old methods can just be thrown out the window. You have to adapt to what you are given. Although it may be early to say this, but coach Smith seems very capable of doing just that. he is willing to go after and take what is given and available and then try to mold it or make it into what will work. I am very pleased what he has shown us so far and only hope this can continue. I don't mind losing (what the hell am I saying?) I hate losing, and just want to see us with teams that win 20-30 games every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X