X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrDemento
    replied
    Originally posted by jericho View Post
    The winning mega millions ticket was sold in Schenectady. 84.5 million. Maybe RPI will beat Harvard, maybe not, but I didn’t buy that ticket
    I'd split it with you - but i did not win it either. Just to rub it in, it will probably turn out to be a Union fan.

Leave a comment:

• jericho
    replied
    The winning mega millions ticket was sold in Schenectady. 84.5 million. Maybe RPI will beat Harvard, maybe not, but I didn’t buy that ticket

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Ture Linden was named a finalist for the ECAC PotY. https://rpiathletics.com/news/2022/3...-the-year.aspx

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied
    And the referee who made that call? One of the infamous Murphy's. I have always considered that game stolen from us. But then again, after following for 59 years, I could say that several other times.

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied
    Originally posted by BigGuy View Post

Jeff Brick. 15:16 of the third period.
    Obviously you remember it clearly. It surprises me that it was Brick as the image in my mind was one of our smaller penalty killing forwards (Kelly Askew came to mind but I didn't think it was him). Brick was not a big guy but he was pretty average sized. I guess that's what you lose in 30 years. I clearly remember, however, being shocked by the call at the time as I thought he batted it in a continuous motion rather than catching it and throwing it

Leave a comment:

• BigGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

We really travelled well in those days. When Jeff Gabriel tucked in the Harvard goal after a mass scramble around the crease you would have thought from the roar that it was played at HFH. That game at the Garden on the other hand, will always stick in my craw. Throwing the puck? Late in the game one of our small, fast forwards - can't remember any more which one it was - stretched well over his head to spike down an airborne puck near the Saints blue line and was called for the aforementioned penalty. In all my years of watching thousands of games I don't think I've ever seen a comparable call. It didn't look to me that he ever closed his hand on the puck, just reaching over his head to knock it forward in one motion - roughly equivalent to a spike in volleyball (i.e. batting the puck than throwing it). Of course SLU scored on the ensuing power play. It was a truly gut-wrenching loss as our underdog team left it all on the ice.
    Jeff Brick. 15:16 of the third period.

Leave a comment:

• jericho
    replied
    Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

We really travelled well in those days. When Jeff Gabriel tucked in the Harvard goal after a mass scramble around the crease you would have thought from the roar that it was played at HFH. That game at the Garden on the other hand, will always stick in my craw. Throwing the puck? Late in the game one of our small, fast forwards - can't remember any more which one it was - stretched well over his head to spike down an airborne puck near the Saints blue line and was called for the aforementioned penalty. In all my years of watching thousands of games I don't think I've ever seen a comparable call. It didn't look to me that he ever closed his hand on the puck, just reaching over his head to knock it forward in one motion - roughly equivalent to a spike in volleyball (i.e. batting the puck than throwing it). Of course SLU scored on the ensuing power play. It was a truly gut-wrenching loss as our underdog team left it all on the ice.
    Stefan Robitaille?

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied
    Originally posted by vicious View Post

For what it's worth, I believe it was 30 years ago today, March 7, 1992, that #10 RPI knocked off #1 Harvard in Cambridge (err, Allston) in the single-game elimination in the ECAC quarterfinals. If I recall, that result prompted the ECAC to scrap the single-game elimination format. Most of us probably remember the next weekend RPI advanced to play SLU in the ECAC semis at the old Boston Garden and led 5-3 after 2 periods, but SLU rallied to win it in OT despite a valiant effort in net from Neil Little. It is also probably the only time Cornell fans have ever rooted for RPI. I'm hoping the Engineers capture a little of that magic from their post-season upset of the Crimson 30 seasons ago.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

If I assume that we have a 23% chance of winning each game, then we have about a 13.4% chance of winning the series. Union has a 6.9% chance, and SLU a 0.47% chance.
    Can't assume that for all the games - only the first game of each series. i have seen these numbers vary considerably depending on the result of each game. What i cannot get as yet, is the odds for winning each series obviously because they vary greatly depending upon the result of the first game. I am not a betting man but if harvard wins the first game as the odds predict, I would think their chances of winning the series would be very high. If on the other hand, we win the first game, our odds to win the series would increase but not anywhere near as much.

Leave a comment:

• vicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

If I assume that we have a 23% chance of winning each game, then we have about a 13.4% chance of winning the series. Union has a 6.9% chance, and SLU a 0.47% chance.
    With all due respect Ralph I have to go with Han Solo's admonition from Star Wars: "never tell me the odds." (I think they were trying to escape a trash compactor or something).

For what it's worth, I believe it was 30 years ago today, March 7, 1992, that #10 RPI knocked off #1 Harvard in Cambridge (err, Allston) in the single-game elimination in the ECAC quarterfinals. If I recall, that result prompted the ECAC to scrap the single-game elimination format. Most of us probably remember the next weekend RPI advanced to play SLU in the ECAC semis at the old Boston Garden and led 5-3 after 2 periods, but SLU rallied to win it in OT despite a valiant effort in net from Neil Little. It is also probably the only time Cornell fans have ever rooted for RPI. I'm hoping the Engineers capture a little of that magic from their post-season upset of the Crimson 30 seasons ago.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Early betting percentages have us with a 23% chance to win the first game. As Wicked says, we have a puncher's chance but I suspect we have to land the first punch for that to happen. First game is more important than it was against Dartmouth as having to try to win two in a row at Harvard is just more than anyone should ask.
    Union is at 16% at Clarkson and SLU at 4% at QU. Colgate at Cornell is obviously much closer.
    I do not want the season to end but if it happens, it was simply a great comeback this weekend from one game down and of course from down 3-1 with only 16 minutes remaining in game 3.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Jake Johnson has been nominated for ECAC student athlete of the year. One person was nominated from each school. https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2021-...SAOTY_Nominees

Leave a comment:

• ServinisScores
    replied
    Love the spirit of the Smith-coached teams, certainly an improvement. Onward and upward.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied
    Early betting percentages have us with a 23% chance to win the first game. As Wicked says, we have a puncher's chance but I suspect we have to land the first punch for that to happen. First game is more important than it was against Dartmouth as having to try to win two in a row at Harvard is just more than anyone should ask.
    Union is at 16% at Clarkson and SLU at 4% at QU. Colgate at Cornell is obviously much closer.
    I do not want the season to end but if it happens, it was simply a great comeback this weekend from one game down and of course from down 3-1 with only 16 minutes remaining in game 3.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    I had a changed of heart and attended the weekend games to support the boys and I was glad I did. A gutty series win and I'm happy they are moving on to the 2nd round.
    Harvard has been a sort of up and down team this year, so I certainly think we have a punchers chance....though I'm not making any predictions. I'm considering taking a run at Friday's game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X