Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2021-22: Picking Up Where We Left Off

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    As an outsider, I'm curious what sweet deal RPI was offered that the Engineers agreed to FOUR games in six days up in Fairbanks vs UAF.
    I would be happy if RPI came to Houghton for just two games. We won't even make you play on week nights.
    With the price I just paid to fill the cars with premium gas here i would accept an offer of a couple of cases of 10-40 oil!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

    Comment


    • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      As an outsider, I'm curious what sweet deal RPI was offered that the Engineers agreed to FOUR games in six days up in Fairbanks vs UAF.
      I would be happy if RPI came to Houghton for just two games. We won't even make you play on week nights.
      I suspect Ralph hit on it when he said that it allowed us to play 38 games this year. We are 2/17 of the way to recovering our lost season! Alternatively, this trip may have originally been planned a while back to include both Alaska schools and Fairbanks took on dates Anchorage released when they dropped hockey.

      My concern is that the trip overlaps with finals week. Will this damage our 90%+ all-academic team qualification rate?

      Comment


      • The trip is at least partially subsidized, but I just think they liked being able to do 38 games and also the opportunity for an almost 2 week road trip which should help team bonding and chemistry

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

          I don't have an answer. Perhaps someone else does. Originally, I figured that RPI would set up a fan trip with tours in the middle, but that hasn't happened. It did allow us to play 38 games this year, but considering that RPI is only allowing non-paying students, faculty, and staff into home games this year, we certainly aren't getting a cash windfall. I suppose that UA_ is paying RPI like they did WCHA teams in the past.
          The Schenectady Gazette interviewed Coach Smith on the reasons behind the Alaska trip here: https://dailygazette.com/2021/05/14/...mes-in-alaska/ (includes some side reporting on Coach Smith's stint as assistant softball coach at RPI in the spring!).

          Comment


          • pregame interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vKR_FCCDI
            sigpic

            Let's Go 'Tute!

            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

            2012 Poser Of The Year

            Comment


            • Just thought it would be interesting for me to post what i received from Princeton Athletics if I want to renew my tickets for hockey this year.

              Indoor Athletic Events:
              - The University’s current visitor policy (found here) states that all visitors attending an indoor University-sponsored event, public performance, varsity and athletics event, and religious service must be vaccinated with no exceptions. Please note that per this current University policy, children under 12 years of age may not enter any campus buildings or attend any indoor events at this time.
              - Masking that covers the mouth and nose is required at all times regardless of vaccination status.
              - Social distancing is recommended, when possible. Parties that arrive together can sit together.
              - Hand sanitizer stations available inside the facilities.
              *Fully Vaccinated is defined as two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after the single-dose vaccine

              Outdoor Athletic Events:
              - No masking required, but is recommended.
              - Social distancing is recommended, when possible. Parties that arrive together can sit together.
              - Hand sanitizer stations will be available.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

              Comment


              • The ECAC Pick The Standings contest is back! Make sure to get your picks in before the league schedule kicks off next weekend.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

                2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

                Comment


                • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Just thought it would be interesting for me to post what i received from Princeton Athletics if I want to renew my tickets for hockey this year.

                  Indoor Athletic Events:
                  - The University’s current visitor policy (found here) states that all visitors attending an indoor University-sponsored event, public performance, varsity and athletics event, and religious service must be vaccinated with no exceptions. Please note that per this current University policy, children under 12 years of age may not enter any campus buildings or attend any indoor events at this time.
                  - Masking that covers the mouth and nose is required at all times regardless of vaccination status.
                  - Social distancing is recommended, when possible. Parties that arrive together can sit together.
                  - Hand sanitizer stations available inside the facilities.
                  *Fully Vaccinated is defined as two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after the single-dose vaccine

                  Outdoor Athletic Events:
                  - No masking required, but is recommended.
                  - Social distancing is recommended, when possible. Parties that arrive together can sit together.
                  - Hand sanitizer stations will be available.
                  This actually makes sense! Guess that's why they're the Ivies. I'm not surprised by RPI's lack of common sense.
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post

                    This actually makes sense! Guess that's why they're the Ivies. I'm not surprised by RPI's lack of common sense.
                    That is why I posted it. It may not be perfect but it does indeed make far more sense than what is being done in Troy. Baker Rink is small so the attendance will probably me rather meager. We will not be there since they have refused us our annual seating for the past 3 years (so nothing to do with the pandemic).
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                    Comment


                    • Just got back in the door from Burlington. Overall, a good win for RPI. They did well to hang in after an abject first 10 minutes in which they were overrun by the Vermont forecheck. RPI dominated the middle portion of the game and could have scored 5 goals with the chances they had--which almost came back to bite them after UVM pulled the goalie; some needlessly tentative defending turned the last two minutes into an adventure.

                      Comment


                      • Saturday highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Td9l4VWws
                        sigpic

                        Let's Go 'Tute!

                        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                        2012 Poser Of The Year

                        Comment


                        • perhaps we need to treat the opposition pulling the goalie at the end of the third period as an offensive opportunity instead of falling back into the prevent defense. We go into the 5 on 4 shorthanded box to defend which allows the opposition to set up like a power play and cycle. I do feel the larger ice surface in Vermont does allow for so much extra room that an extra man on offense is a bigger advantage, but we seem to have more problems with the empty net situations than many others.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            perhaps we need to treat the opposition pulling the goalie at the end of the third period as an offensive opportunity instead of falling back into the prevent defense. We go into the 5 on 4 shorthanded box to defend which allows the opposition to set up like a power play and cycle. I do feel the larger ice surface in Vermont does allow for so much extra room that an extra man on offense is a bigger advantage, but we seem to have more problems with the empty net situations than many others.
                            Doc, you are right about the prevent defense in the last two minutes. But I thought that they played the prevent defense for the whole third period.
                            I can't think of any sustained offense all period. And our two best offensive attempts were made killing a penalty.
                            If Vermont had scored in the first 28 seconds of the period instead of the last, I don't think we would have prevailed.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

                              Doc, you are right about the prevent defense in the last two minutes. But I thought that they played the prevent defense for the whole third period.
                              I can't think of any sustained offense all period. And our two best offensive attempts were made killing a penalty.
                              If Vermont had scored in the first 28 seconds of the period instead of the last, I don't think we would have prevailed.
                              What you have posted I agree with. It just became so much more obvious when they pulled the goalie. IMO 6 on 5 is not a power play in almost any fashion except you cannot ice the puck as you can when short handed. Over many years I have noticed how few empty net goals we seem to get compared to many other teams. Almost seems like it is the philosophy to just defend and forego any offense. There just does not seem any impetus to get that pressure ending and almost certain game ending EN goal but instead to fall back into a box of defense.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

                                What you have posted I agree with. It just became so much more obvious when they pulled the goalie. IMO 6 on 5 is not a power play in almost any fashion except you cannot ice the puck as you can when short handed. Over many years I have noticed how few empty net goals we seem to get compared to many other teams. Almost seems like it is the philosophy to just defend and forego any offense. There just does not seem any impetus to get that pressure ending and almost certain game ending EN goal but instead to fall back into a box of defense.
                                Well said. They just sit back and hope for a mistake. But if you don't pressure the puck, they will not make a mistake.
                                I would rather see them aggressive than what they are doing now.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X