Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, citing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

It is closer to zero than 1%.

Comment

Re: BREAKING: Alabama Huntsville dropping men’s ice hockey effective immediately, cit

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      It seems unlikely that they will get to the goal of $1M.
      It's interesting that the goal is $500k but the text says that they want $1MM. I've got to be wondering if the matching donor is Cam Talbot.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        It's interesting that the goal is $500k but the text says that they want $1MM. I've got to be wondering if the matching donor is Cam Talbot.

GFM
        I was wondering about the matching as well. $500k is a LOT, but yet it seems better attainable than the million, especially considering they're like 1/7th of the way to the 500k goal less than 24 hours after starting this.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Huh? 72K is over 7%, Now it is past 8%. Still far from the goal, but closer to 1% than zero. A matter of fact, closer to 15% than 0%.

Double the numbers if they actually need 500K.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

So if they do get the $1 million, what does that buy them? Is it one season then another GoFundMe next summer, or will that keep the program afloat a little longer... or maybe long enough for the University's athletic department to get its finances back on track?
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Interesting... 4 days to raise $1 million. Hope it works out for them

https://www.gofundme.com/f/uah-hocke...cp+share-sheet

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                So if they do get the $1 million, what does that buy them? Is it one season then another GoFundMe next summer, or will that keep the program afloat a little longer... or maybe long enough for the University's athletic department to get its finances back on track?
                It's like paying a season ticket price increase for the 2020-21 season. Prepare to do it again.

Comment

I posted this over in the WCHA thread, maybe here is a good spot:

If the goal is met, what type of numbers will they have left for players? Players can't really be sitting around right now waiting to see what happens. They need to be out there selling themselves to see if they can latch on with another program, whether it is D-I or D-III. And with Long Island University looking to fill their roster, there are spots out there.

And what does this $1 million do for next year, and the year after?

As much as I want to see the Chargers survive, I am probably as skeptical as you are (this was in response to Geof)...... The school can't keep doing this every 10 years to you.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

While I don't wish for any program to fold, I can't see these donations mattering much long term. On the ice alone the results have been dreadful for years now and they don't have any conference stability. I think the end is unavoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                      They are currently at $72K even though it hasn't been very long. There's a non-zero chance they reach the goal
                      Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Huh? 72K is over 7%, Now it is past 8%. Still far from the goal, but closer to 1% than zero. A matter of fact, closer to 15% than 0%.
                      Double the numbers if they actually need 500K.
                      I think you're reading the "1%" quote wrong, Ralph. The way I read the exchange, Sez sez the chances the GoFundMe raises the stated $500K is greater than 0%. Well, no bleep, from a statistical point of view. Bonin says the chances of raising the $500 large are nearer zero than 1%. He wasn't talking about how much will be raised. And in the end, since donations will be returned if they don't make it to 500 big ole smackers, it could be argued that they are at 0% until they are at 100%.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                        And what does this $1 million do for next year, and the year after?

As much as I want to see the Chargers survive, I am probably as skeptical as you are (this was in response to Geof)...... The school can't keep doing this every 10 years to you.
                        From the fundraiser page it states:

“We have already had alumni, booster club members, and life-time supporters setup with large individual donations and commit to donating annually to make sure the program is self-sustaining for the long-term. For short term we are looking to raise $500,000 of the 1 million via this Go Fund Me account. If the required funds are raised, UAH has agreed to create an advisory board consisting of hockey alumni, local business leaders and major donors to help turn UAH Hockey into a world class hockey program.“

In reality they have to figure out how to get the previously proposed onsite rink built. Anything short of that and any player or league would rightfully question their commitment.

Comment

From the gofundme page: "If the required funds are raised, UAH has agreed to create an advisory board consisting of hockey alumni, local business leaders and major donors to help turn UAH Hockey into a world class hockey program".

Sounds like they will try to bring in people to help market, rebrand, recruit, and solidify more sponsors. Basically they are going to take a program with no money, and invest this money for better long term stability.

Comment

Sad they didn’t bother with this ahead of time. I didn’t realize it but it sounds like they didn’t consult the larger donors first. Even if it lives, who joins a program that was axed twice?

Gotta admire the UAH fans though. They just crossed the $100k mark on the way to $500k. A few donations in the thousands with the top being $7,500 by an anonymous donor. I’m assuming the bigger donors are matching the $500k since the stated goal is $1 million.
                            Last edited by slowe; 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              I think you're reading the "1%" quote wrong, Ralph. The way I read the exchange, Sez sez the chances the GoFundMe raises the stated $500K is greater than 0%. Well, no bleep, from a statistical point of view. Bonin says the chances of raising the $500 large are nearer zero than 1%. He wasn't talking about how much will be raised. And in the end, since donations will be returned if they don't make it to 500 big ole smackers, it could be argued that they are at 0% until they are at 100%.
                              Thanks. That makes sense.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                                From the fundraiser page it states:

“We have already had alumni, booster club members, and life-time supporters setup with large individual donations and commit to donating annually to make sure the program is self-sustaining for the long-term. For short term we are looking to raise $500,000 of the 1 million via this Go Fund Me account. If the required funds are raised, UAH has agreed to create an advisory board consisting of hockey alumni, local business leaders and major donors to help turn UAH Hockey into a world class hockey program.“
                                And I believe this was the same argument used the last time the program was axed and they raised funds to save the program. So if the funds raised back then were to make the program self-sustaining, was there a mismanagement of funds?
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X