Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not at all a fan of this new concept. Bad enough we had to play in their backyards, now we have to play in their barns as well?
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• not impressed.

but it's a start to change.

well, in the least two NC games; as we do all the travelling.

Comment

• I assume that this arrangement was only agreed to for this season and was made because it is late July and the schedules need to be finalized. I will expect fresh ideas for next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

not impressed.

but it's a start to change.

well, in the least two NC games; as we do all the travelling.
          Or a start to an end.

Comment

• Frankly, I see it as a likely end to the GLI as we know it. It may continue to exist in some new fashion, but I think the days of it being an annual holiday tournament in Detroit are over. Honestly, that frees us up to consider a lot of alternatives after this season.

Comment

• Q&A: Maple Grove's Kyle Kukkonen on NHL Draft outlook

Decent eight-minute video interview with Kyle

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Frankly, I see it as a likely end to the GLI as we know it. It may continue to exist in some new fashion, but I think the days of it being an annual holiday tournament in Detroit are over. Honestly, that frees us up to consider a lot of alternatives after this season.
                Dr Sanregret, time for a bold move.

Comment

• My next questions are about what the buildings will look like. Will the Tech band be allowed to attend and play? How much of the seating will be allocated? Are these games part of the season ticket package at the schools who are hosting, or sold completely separately? Who gets the ticket revenue? Does this mean these games fall under the B1G media agreements for TV coverage?

I think I already know the answers to the second and third questions.

Comment

• I did read, at least for U of M, the "GLI" games are not included in their season ticket packages.

Comment

• If we want to set up a road game at U of Mi and MiSU over Christmas break, ok... I understand the value of having Tech play in front of the Alumni, but we already play in BG and at Ferris. A Tech hockey fan living Lower MI should be able to make one or both of those series without too much hassle. I don't see the benefit of playing in AA or EL, calling it the GLI, and getting no return games. This kind of agreement is U of Mi and MiSU dream. Two non-conference games at home, they don't have to travel, and they look like they are the hosts. (I don't care how Tech markets this, location creates the perception.)

Comment

• I'll likely end up going to the Great Lakes Imitational games at Yost (if I get in for free). Even with the home ice advantage, I'm not pleased with it. My favorite parts of the GLI are the Huskies Pep Band and cheering for Tech when they aren't playing my alma mater.

I hope the band still travels downstate for the games.

I like the suggestions of a rotating venue and invitees for it (even if it means no UM).
                        Another option if scheduling with LCA is the issue, try Van Andel (GR)? If you keep at least one of the B1G teams, there will be a sizable local fan base.

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• FYI : Wisconsin now has a Christmas tournament. The following was announced mid June.

The inaugural Holiday Face-Off college hockey tournament will be held at Fiserv Forum, home of the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, Dec. 28-29, 2021, and will include Bowling Green, Providence, Wisconsin and Yale.

Semifinal play will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 28 with the championship game and third-place game on Wednesday, Dec. 29. Matchups and game times will be announced at a later date.

“We are proud to bring major college hockey to Fiserv Forum as we continue to offer a diverse list of events at the arena,” added Fiserv Forum and Bucks president Peter Feigin. “Milwaukee has a rich history of college hockey tournaments, and we look forward to continuing the tradition by hosting the Holiday Face-Off at Fiserv Forum.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDee View Post
                            FYI : Wisconsin now has a Christmas tournament.
                            They've had them before as well but they don't last long. Badgers fans get excited for a couple years and then it fades away. Not to mention the Bucks have no long term interest in hockey using their building. They wouldn't let the Milwaukee Admirals (AHL) use the Fiserv. As a result, the Admirals now play in an even older facility (shared with UW-Milwaukee, among others) than their former facility, the Bradley Center (which is now gone). I give the Badgers tourney, three years tops and it will be toast.
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Michigan State included the GLI games in the season ticket offer they emailed out today.

"The 2021-22 home slate will include 18 games, including seven non-conference games and 11 vs. Big Ten opponents. Two of the non-conference games will be Dec. 29-30 as part of the Great Lakes Invitational showcase. MSU will host Western Michigan on Dec. 29, then meet Michigan Tech on Dec. 30 at Munn. "

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                They've had them before
                                The Badger Showdown was held 21 years, 14 years at the Bradley Center and 7 years on campus at the Kohl Center.
                                It was cancelled due to cost-cutting needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X