Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech needs to figure out how to score. They have not been able to get to 3 goals against any quality team, in a long time. Its time to change. Joe needs to bring in some help. Or Suzzane needs to...
    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Joe Shawhan's contract is now up. Renew?

Comment

• I have thought about how these things happen because quite a number of our games this year follow the same M.O. We outplay them, outshoot them, out chance them and lose. So if you go back to those games there seems to be, in all of them, a period of maybe 5 minutes of clock time where something changed. Usually revolving around the other teams' forecheck. That happened again last night. Bemidji brought a lot of energy and refused to just roll over. They hemmed us in and we started standing around. Swinging our stick instead of moving our feet. Next thing you know they got 1 lone shot and it goes in. then another one. then they stop that aggressive forecheck and sit back and we are helpless to score from then on.
        There has to be a way for us to deal with this type of forecheck. identify it earlier, and deal with it. Over and over this year we wilted when other teams used it. Do we need more scoring sure, but that 5 minutes has hurt us. It was the same vs Mankato, vs Bemidji the other times vs Lake state and BG. We have to fix that part of our game.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I think looking at this year we deserved better but small lapses did us in. Giving them too many 2 on 1's. not playing the 2 on 1 correctly. You learn that in 8 th grade for goodness sake. you can go on and on but we did have some real positives. Our freshmen really played well. Some bright spots for the future in them. Our team really pulled together. they were a unit. I liked that a lot. I thought the staff from the HC on down did an excellent job. We got a lot more games in than I expected we would. The players dealt with the situation well. It can't be easy playing on so many odd days, and studying as well. Lets' just hope that no one bails out because they think the grass will be greener. I can guarantee it won't be.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I watched some of the NCHC playoffs after the Tech game. It was closer to the 5 minutes we “wilt”, speed, forecheck, and intensity. I think we had one of the top talent teams in the WCHA (maybe Div I, who knows this year) but our results were a solid 5th. The top 4 dominated us. I know we have players that can play with the speed and intensity needed, but it seems elusive as the competition improves. The team gets that first goal (speed and intensity) and then try’s to pack it in, slow it down, and play solid defense for 55 minutes. Kind of hoping our goalie can pitch the shutout every night, which is not reasonable. The core of this team will return, I hope. There are some exceptional hockey players. We just need to do something different to create speed all game, or we can expect to be 5th in a 1 team league again. Jamie Phillips did a really great job with the goal tenders this season. I think they outperformed our early projections (ok, concerns). I’d like to see something like that (results wise) with a few of the forwards.
            Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              Joe Shawhan's contract is now up. Renew?
              I would guess Suzanne extends it. We're not winning conference championships, but not the worst team either. If so, I wonder if it's an announcement or treated as status quo.

What are people's thoughts on his coaching and recruiting? Are we recruiting the level of talent needed? Kukkonen seems to be a good one for next year. The public side can be a bit rough at times with the honesty like complaining about the refs or player comments, but Suzanne had to know that going in.

Comment

• Recruiting appears to be well above our results (we appear to be getting real good recruits in spite of results). Will that continue?

Often results on the ice are more a result of the assistants. Damien Whitten going to LSSU was a hit. Due we have another future Div 1 head coach in development?
                Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                  Recruiting appears to be well above our results (we appear to be getting real good recruits in spite of results). Will that continue?
                  Beyond Kyle Kukkonen and Chase Pietila, I don't see any recruits to get excited about.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post

Beyond Kyle Kukkonen and Chase Pietila, I don't see any recruits to get excited about.
                    yeah, I guess I was thinking more about the current freshman class, and Sinclair, Ashbrook... I thought we had a Stauber from Duluth, Minnesota coming...
                    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post

yeah, I guess I was thinking more about the current freshman class, and Sinclair, Ashbrook... I thought we had a Stauber from Duluth, Minnesota coming...
                      We do, and his numbers have been poor his entire junior career up until his recent trade to Danbury (NAHL), where he's now finally scoring at a rate above hockey's equivalent of the Mendoza line. My expectations for him are low.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post

....where he's now finally scoring at a rate above hockey's equivalent of the Mendoza line. My expectations for him are low.
                        LOL. My weekend ends with a smile.
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

• I'd guess he gets another 2 years, maybe 3. If next year's team can't sniff a Top 3 finish, his chair is going to start feeling hot.

Comment

• Positives:
                            Considering all the hurdles this season threw at the team, congrats on making it through. Things could have been a lot worse.
                            Goal play was outstanding. NCAA really needs to consider adding a goalie coach position to teams.
                            Team played hard all year
                            Our freshman class looks really good.
                            Thank you to our senior class.

Areas to improve
                            No shock here, pucks in the net
                            Getting goalie moving side to side. Our league has some of the best goalies in the nation (statistically).
                            Consistent/critical face-off wins.
                            Handling pressure/lack of time/space

We have a lot of above average players with below average goal scoring ability. We have offensive opportunities, but we miss a wide open net/play with the puck and let the goalie get in position. There are very few rebounds/puck scrambles. I don't know how much of this is the lack of natural centers on the team, other teams playing style, or offensive strategy. We rarely have a player or two screening the goalie. I'm sure they are trying a lot of different things, and like other sports, if a player isn't offensively gifted, it is virtually impossible to turn them into offensive powerhouses. Still doesn't mean they shouldn't be trying.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think the lack of fan hurt Tech more than any other team. Players shouldn't get their internal fire from the crowd, but there is something about being in front of people that brings out that little extra subconscious effort.

All that said, I look forward to what next year has to offer.

Go Tech!

Comment

• Some of my takeaways from the conversation this morning.
                              • There will be another Joe S. show next week for the last one of the year
                              • They need proven skill guys in leagues that produce at our level (i.e. 50+ point guys in USHL). (my note: not sure we have that in the pipeline)
                              • Would like to tighten up recruiting with BCHL, Albert aetc.
                              • Schedule
                                • Will play at WI next year
                                • Notre Dame and USNDTP will be in UP - 1 game against each.
                                • With USNDTP - that leaves us with 1 non-conf free - could be Northern early
                                • At Clarkson next year
                                • I think I understood this right - investigate Clarkson/St. Lawrence with LSSU - trip there and year later trip to UP, not sure when?
                                • ASU/Robert Morris some other in future pipeline
                                • Michigan coming to Houghton not looking good
                                • Not interested in 2 for 1s, want teams to come to Houghton
                                • He mentioned Fairbanks too - I missed when, next year?
                              • Recruits
                                • Looking for players that will make a difference - down the middle, goal scoring, more physical
                              • Not sure on Senior sticking around - Sinclair maybe, otherwise likely transfer portal for 3rd goalie. Lack of seeing recruits with COVID.

Comment

• I hate wasting an NC game on a conference opponent, but for now I am happy to see Joe hold the line on unbalanced NC scheduling demands by bigger schools who think they're entitled to less travel.

Comment

Working...
                                X