Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since there's no game activity this weekend, this looks like a good time to post this. It's a little hard to do research before 1950 so I didn't include the first three, but here are my all-decade teams for Tech hockey for the other 7.

1950s

F - John Kosiancic
    F - Paul Coppo
    F - Jack McManus
    D - John Pascht
    D - Dick Wilson
    G - Bob McManus

1960s

F - Lou Angotti
    F - Jerry Sullivan
    F - Al Karlander
    D - Hank Akervall
    D - Gary Begg
    G - Tony Esposito

1970s

F - Mike Zuke
    F - Bob D'Alvise
    F - Stu Ostlund
    D - Jim Nahrgang
    D - Tim Watters
    G - Jim Warden

1980s

F - Rick Boehm
    F - Bill Terry
    F - Steve Murphy
    D - Mike Nepi
    D - Kip Noble
    G - Damian Rhodes

1990s

F - John Young
    F - Pat Mikesch
    F - Jim Storm
    D - Jason Wright
    D - Andy Sutton
    G - Jamie Ram

2000s

F - Colin Murphy
    F - Chris Conner
    F - Brett Engelhardt
    D - Lars Helminen
    D - Clay Wilson
    G - Michael-Lee Teslak

2010s

F - Alex Petan
    F - Tanner Kero
    F - Blake Pietila
    D - Shane Hanna
    D - Mark Auk
    G - Jamie Phillips

Some easy names, and also some tough choices. This is obviously not official by any means, your selections may vary. If you have different picks, I'd be interested to hear them.

Comment

• Curious what criteria you may have used? Might as well pick out an All Century team

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Curious what criteria you may have used? Might as well pick out an All Century team
        For the players I never saw (Jim Nahrgang and before) much of it was on award accomplishments and career stats. Everyone past that who I saw play had to pass the "eye test" as well. For instance, Shawn Harrison had one great season statistically, but Steve Murphy was so consistently good through his whole career (including missing an entire season with an injury which he overcame to play at the same level when he came back) so I gave the nod to him.

As I stated, there were some hard choices. I probably argued with myself the most over George Lyle vs Bob D'Alvise, or possibly Rob Murray vs Tim Watters. Brent Peterson vs Jim Storm was a tight one too, but I went with Storm because he had 50 fewer games and scored 2 more points. The 2000s goaltender was tough, as was the 1970s goaltender.

All-Century is hard for goaltender because of the difference in eras. Defense would be a great argument with so many choices. There's one slam dunk pick at forward and lots of choices after that too.
        Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 01-08-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          Since there's no game activity this weekend, this looks like a good time to post this. It's a little hard to do research before 1950 so I didn't include the first three, but here are my all-decade teams for Tech hockey for the other 7.

1950s

F - John Kosiancic
          F - Paul Coppo
          F - Jack McManus
          D - John Pascht
          D - Dick Wilson
          G - Bob McManus

1960s

F - Lou Angotti
          F - Jerry Sullivan
          F - Al Karlander
          D - Hank Akervall
          D - Gary Begg
          G - Tony Esposito

1970s

F - Mike Zuke
          F - Bob D'Alvise
          F - Stu Ostlund
          D - Jim Nahrgang
          D - Tim Watters
          G - Jim Warden

1980s

F - Rick Boehm
          F - Bill Terry
          F - Steve Murphy
          D - Mike Nepi
          D - Kip Noble
          G - Damian Rhodes

1990s

F - John Young
          F - Pat Mikesch
          F - Jim Storm
          D - Jason Wright
          D - Andy Sutton
          G - Jamie Ram

2000s

F - Colin Murphy
          F - Chris Conner
          F - Brett Engelhardt
          D - Lars Helminen
          D - Clay Wilson
          G - Michael-Lee Teslak

2010s

F - Alex Petan
          F - Tanner Kero
          F - Blake Pietila
          D - Shane Hanna
          D - Mark Auk
          G - Jamie Phillips

Some easy names, and also some tough choices. This is obviously not official by any means, your selections may vary. If you have different picks, I'd be interested to hear them.
          I went to Tech in the late 90s and from what I saw, I would put Andre Savage on this list. I would also remove Andy Sutton. I know Andy had a long NHL career, but he was not a great college player (again, that is based solely on what I saw during my brief time there).

Having said that, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on who should replace Sutton on the list nor who Savage should replace.

Thanks for letting me play along.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post

I went to Tech in the late 90s and from what I saw, I would put Andre Savage on this list. I would also remove Andy Sutton. I know Andy had a long NHL career, but he was not a great college player (again, that is based solely on what I saw during my brief time there).

Having said that, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on who should replace Sutton on the list nor who Savage should replace.

Thanks for letting me play along.
            Savage was the other option along with Peterson for the spot I filled with Storm. You may be right that I'm letting Sutton's pro career influence his pick, maybe Layne LeBel would be a better pick for that spot. I may have also been trying to avoid making all the picks from those same early 90s teams.

​​​​

Comment

• Two weekends in a row down the tubes.

The Ferris series is off.

Comment

Two weekends in a row down the tubes.

The Ferris series is off.
                That sucks, understandable, but still sucks. I hope whoever is sick keeps isolated and makes a full recovery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

That sucks, understandable, but still sucks. I hope whoever is sick keeps isolated and makes a full recovery.
                  There has to be a lot of the team that has it if they are forced to take off a 2nd weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post

There has to be a lot of the team that has it if they are forced to take off a 2nd weekend.
                    The WCHA announced that Michigan Tech's games at Ferris State will be rescheduled for February 2nd and February 9th. Tech's series at Minnesota State will be played on March 5th & 6th. Ferris will play Trine on January 16th.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockey John View Post

The WCHA announced that Michigan Tech's games at Ferris State will be rescheduled for February 2nd and February 9th. Tech's series at Minnesota State will be played on March 5th & 6th. Ferris will play Trine on January 16th.
                      Why don't they just use the Tech vs. Ferris non conference series for the conference games in a few weeks? Wasn't 1 of the 2 series between tech and ferris non conference?

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post

Why don't they just use the Tech vs. Ferris non conference series for the conference games in a few weeks? Wasn't 1 of the 2 series between tech and ferris non conference?
                        They can't. The league series is at Ferris State and the non-conference series is at Tech.

Comment

• I would think it made sense to replace the two non-conference dates in Houghton with the two league games in Big Rapids on Feb 12-13 and not play the non-cons at all.

I would surmise there are two possible reasons.

1) those home games are the closest to a traditional Winter Carnival series and there's some hope to have at least a limited number of fans in attendance.

2) Tech believes that they need as many wins as they can get to make the NCAA tournament, and giving up two games against Ferris only hurts their chances to accumulate more.

I will be curious to find out what the travel plans will be, considering that the two games between Feb 2 and 9 are the series at UAH. Will they leave directly from Big Rapids to go to Huntsville and return directly to BR after? Is there a way to change travel plans to depart from maybe Grand Rapids to accommodate that?

Comment

• Ordinarily I'd agree but don't they need testing in there somewhere? I suspect they come back and then charter down.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I would think it made sense to replace the two non-conference dates in Houghton with the two league games in Big Rapids on Feb 12-13 and not play the non-cons at all.

I would surmise there are two possible reasons.

1) those home games are the closest to a traditional Winter Carnival series and there's some hope to have at least a limited number of fans in attendance.

2) Tech believes that they need as many wins as they can get to make the NCAA tournament, and giving up two games against Ferris only hurts their chances to accumulate more.

I will be curious to find out what the travel plans will be, considering that the two games between Feb 2 and 9 are the series at UAH. Will they leave directly from Big Rapids to go to Huntsville and return directly to BR after? Is there a way to change travel plans to depart from maybe Grand Rapids to accommodate that?
                              Given the time frame, flights to and from Chicago are certainly reasonable and were possibly already part of the Huntsville trip.

"The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Tech adds another in-season addition. 5ft 11in 185 pound forward Ryland Mosley out of Arnprior, Ontario. Played for Carleton Place Canadians. Former teammate of Brett Thorne.

Comment

Working...
                                X