Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan's win today leaves me thinking, what poor recruit, who was all set to show up, got called and canceled in mid-august because some Harvard kid decided to switch.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Michigan's win today leaves me thinking, what poor recruit, who was all set to show up, got called and canceled in mid-august because some Harvard kid decided to switch.
      That kid wasn't the first and he won't be the last with the way Merv recruits.
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Will they let Dirk attend the games? Will they let camera operators at the games?

Comment

• The season starts tomorrow an there is no chatter. Did our thread die or is there nothing to talk about? What do we expect to see from the team? With this be a developmental line-up or will Joe try and see what our top lines can do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
            The season starts tomorrow an there is no chatter. Did our thread die or is there nothing to talk about? What do we expect to see from the team? With this be a developmental line-up or will Joe try and see what our top lines can do?
            i think everyone is just exhausted. we'll see if this first series gets us firing on all cylinders again.

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

• Game day! (finally)
              Go Huskies! Go Tech!

Comment

• Are any players sick? I’m a bit surprised at the starting lineup.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• I didn't like the game. I saw numerous of our D men fall down or leave their feet for some reason giving the other team opportunities or possession. I saw offensive players not playing offense. I saw the goalie play great, but on the whole, I was disappointed. I think we are lucky we didn't play a good team.

Comment

• I was hoping for a better game. A year of hype made me feel like we would be playing the first game like a frozen four team.

I thought we had great goaltending. A nice surprise. And goaltending is the ticket in this league. We played fairly disciplined, stayed out of the box, for the first game. I liked that. And we had a lot of first NCAA game experiences last night. All good.

Its time to figure out who are the real deal in this team. Find a couple of cone head lines, and find a way to keep the puck in front of the last skater.

Go Tech!
                    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Well another day, another disappointment. The schedule isn't easier down the line. LSSU outplayed us, in my mind, in every aspect of the game. Even when they played the back up goalie we couldn't/didn't get any shots or make him do any work., We were sloppy on defense, we lost a lot of defensive battles and got knocked off the puck easily in the offensive end. .
                      I'd say our team had better take a good look in the mirror because otherwise....

You have to question the coach's strategy in the offseason, because he went and got bigger players in order to battle with these grind teams, and what happens, we still lose the battles?. And now we are slower than before as well. These games were played almost in slow motion compared to other games by other teams. At 8 minutes into the second, there were a total of 12 SOG between the two teams. I'd rather have a high skill/high-speed team any time! at least then it's fun to watch.

Comment

• Watched some of BGSU / Adrian as well as Michigan & Wisconsin over past couple of weeks. We have some gears to get up into. Hoping they can shake things loose after this first weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Well another day, another disappointment. The schedule isn't easier down the line. LSSU outplayed us, in my mind, in every aspect of the game. Even when they played the back up goalie we couldn't/didn't get any shots or make him do any work., We were sloppy on defense, we lost a lot of defensive battles and got knocked off the puck easily in the offensive end. .
                          I'd say our team had better take a good look in the mirror because otherwise....

You have to question the coach's strategy in the offseason, because he went and got bigger players in order to battle with these grind teams, and what happens, we still lose the battles?. And now we are slower than before as well. These games were played almost in slow motion compared to other games by other teams. At 8 minutes into the second, there were a total of 12 SOG between the two teams. I'd rather have a high skill/high-speed team any time! at least then it's fun to watch.
                          On a positive note, Sinclair was a great pick-up and is a solid goalie.

Trying to be an optimist today, we were able to play hockey.

Put the dang puck on net! I fully realize LSSU did a great job of getting bodies/sticks in the lane. When we see an opening, we need to take it. We need to be putting 30+ shots on goal a game. Make their goalie do something. (Fully realizing shots on goal is a somewhat subjective stat.)

I do think we have a major disadvantage this year without fans being allowed into the rinks. Our guys are going to have generate that fight from within.

Comment

• this is a repeat of every year save joe's first when he was using a mel-roster...

blame this kind of 'here we go again' start on the players if you want.

but this is a coaching issue 100%.

give joe until spring of 2022.

no change? well, then it's time for change.

do note; i like joe. but i think he lives in the past... classic as opposed to classy. archaic as opposed to progressive.

we are in 2020... not 1971...

i am already anxious... going through another last-three-years of a-la-jamie-russell would be insanity. sure... sure, i am comparing apples to oranges here. but russell had to battle much, much better teams in a league that had four national championships during his tenure. that's like one every other year...

joe coaches/has-coached in a league with three teams on the brink of non-existence and our best team, MNSU, can't even get past a first round game in the tourney after trying six times...

let's be honest... the nWCHA sucks, the nCCHA ain't gonna be that much better, and our coaching behaves accordingly.

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                              the nWCHA sucks, the nCCHA ain't gonna be that much better
                              I think this year, more than any other the coaches could get a pass on early season games. It's been chaos I'm sure trying to figure out what they are allowed to do, with who and when. If I had to guess, staying healthy might be a higher priority than Xs and Os for the staff right now. Given that non-conference play really means nothing in picking the NCAA field and that some committee will likely set the field, I think it will really come down to conference standings when the field is picked and which conferences get more bids than others.

As for the quoted portion above, I think the nCCHA will be a better conference looking at it from a National point of view. The conference sheds UAF, UAA and UAH and adds the Tommies, who I feel will be a very respectable. If ASU can have a tourney team nearly right out of out of the gate and find some talent, I have no reason to believe that a new D-I team in the state of hockey won't get a few eye raising signings in their first few years as well.

What does that mean specifically for Tech? A team that only a few years ago was a solid 1-2 finisher each year in the nWCHA, has fallen to the point where now they are fighting in the 3-4-5-6 group of teams at the end of the year. Finishing in that part of the rankings was bolstered by records of 10-6 vs UAF, 16-4 vs UAA and 14-2 vs UAH dating back to the 2014-15 season if I manually counted all those games correctly. That's a combined 40-12 record against teams you will no longer play in the nCCHA. That means more games against better teams, including the Tommies who I think will be in the 3-4-5-6 category their first season. Without a significant step forward this year, a 3-6 finish this year equates to a 5-8 finish next year. Not where we want to see the Huskies headed.

Tech really needs to find some firepower or a better style of play on the offensive end of the rink. Not even considering this past weekend, let's just focus on last year's numbers so we can look at a larger body of work, in a fairly normal season (excluding the ending.) Tech only scored 4 or more goals 11 times last season. That's putting a lot of pressure on the blue line back to hold teams to 2 or less goals. In 2019-20 (WCHA games only) the top 4 teams scored an average of just over 98 goals over the course of the 28 game season. Tech scored 68. That's essentially starting every game against teams you need to beat to climb in the standings down 1-0 before the puck even drops.

Tech tied at 4th for best in goals allowed with 68, but that's long way from #1 Mankato at 38 or Bemidji at 46 goals allowed over the 28 game conference season. Regardless of what players are in the mix, Tech needs to find a way to generate more offense. Find the right chemistry, find the right style of play that suits your talent, whatever it takes. If you can score 4-5 every night, you have room for error. When you only score 3 or less per night, the margin of error is razor thin.

Comment

• Looks like we aren't going to get to see 6 games vs the Cats after all. NMU is going to cancel the next 3 weeks with positive tests on the roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X