Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
    Not sure if it was reported here, but Chase Pietila committed to Tech recently. Good to see another Pietila. Will play in the USHL this year.
    I read he was invited to tryout for the USNDTP U17 team before the pandemic cancelled everything, so now he's landed in the USHL instead.

Comment

• I don't think moving to a different venue has any appeal for the Big Ten schools. When the CCHA played its postseason at the Joe, that was a good way to get some time in the building that other schools didn't get. LCA was at least a higher class place to play. My read is that they'd rather have the ability to get some non-conference home games or some schedule flexibility to get some trades for games, rather than schlep to a rink they get very little from. That alone would be enough to torpedo the GLI, at least in its current form.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        I'll be stunned if there's any more WCHA hockey.
        GFM
        Oof, that would be the ultimate bad break-up. Eight lame duck teams say they'll come back for one more year only to ultimately decide not to play the final year. After all the storied history of the WCHA, to have the ending of its men's conference simply be the emails and phone calls that ended last years playoffs be the last gasp... that would be quite sad.

Has UAH made any comments about withdrawing their withdrawal from the Far Western Collegiate Hockey Association schools? I know on paper UAH had filed but I am wondering if anything has been said about retracting that now that St Thomas has joined with the CCHA.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Oof, that would be the ultimate bad break-up. Eight lame duck teams say they'll come back for one more year only to ultimately decide not to play the final year. After all the storied history of the WCHA, to have the ending of its men's conference simply be the emails and phone calls that ended last years playoffs be the last gasp... that would be quite sad.

Has UAH made any comments about withdrawing their withdrawal from the Far Western Collegiate Hockey Association schools? I know on paper UAH had filed but I am wondering if anything has been said about retracting that now that St Thomas has joined with the CCHA.
          Ugh! As a lifelong WCHA fan don't say that! I hope they can have something that resembles a season and crown a champion.

I would imagine UAH is waiting for AH to call.

Comment

• Just played 18 holes with Frank Krieber. Great guy, not a bad golfer. Lots of "bleep" talking in the group and do not expect silence during your backswing.

Comment

• https://www.mininggazette.com/sports...echs-1981-run/

Comment

• Is there any info on the Wisconsin series? Family in Madison tell me things are shut pretty tight it would be surprising if fans are allowed to attend, unless i've missed some info already shared.

Comment

• High placed credible national sources have told me that the current working plan is to restart college hockey on January 1, with the season wrapping up by Memorial Day weekend.

In regards to the Wisconsin series, that's obviously not included in that window.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    High placed credible national sources have told me that the current working plan is to restart college hockey on January 1, with the season wrapping up by Memorial Day weekend.

In regards to the Wisconsin series, that's obviously not included in that window.
                    I understood that two of the seven Division I conferences, BIG10 & counting the Ivy League schools as ECAC, and ASU have already announced postponed schedules for the 2020-21 season with tentative plans to start 1/1/21. So these sources are referring to the other 5 conferences postponing (?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

I understood that two of the seven Division I conferences, BIG10 & counting the Ivy League schools as ECAC, and ASU have already announced postponed schedules for the 2020-21 season with tentative plans to start 1/1/21. So these sources are referring to the other 5 conferences postponing (?)
                      Where are you getting a 7th conference from?

A number of reports are surfacing about a restart in late November. My sources say this is unlikely. Once of the biggest hangups right now is determining a field for the NCAA tournament, since the PairWise and RPI will be essentially useless. The easy way to solve it is a human committee, which is being met with major resistance.
                      Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 09-10-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• WCHA to delay the start of the Men's Season, no date given.

http://www.wcha.com/men/articles/202...-21-season.php
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Where are you getting a 7th conference from?

A number of reports are surfacing about a restart in late November. My sources say this is unlikely. Once of the biggest hangups right now is determining a field for the NCAA tournament, since the PairWise and RPI will be essentially useless. The easy way to solve it is a human committee, which is being met with major resistance.
                          Oops, 6 conferences.
                          I too have heard that some teams would like to tie the start of hockey in with the start of NCAA basketball which could be November or January. Hopefully C19 has died down enough or is under control such that sports can start at some date by early 2021.
                          I have also heard that the NCAA teams are looking at using an algorithm along the lines of what basketball uses for March Madness selection.

Comment

• Who thinks a bubble would work?
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I don't think college hockey has the money or resources for the logistics of that.

Comment

• Agreed. so that means Josh Fenton is all wet. but if there is no bubble then maybe you play the first two weeks, starting right before thanksgiving before you expose the players to the student population again. Once that happens I think you are toast. Unless you do like Texas Tech, and play regardless, which is a bad idea imho.
                                BTW An MTU mathematician was featured on the local npr radio show, "Stateside" with April Behr yesterday. It was about a new model her class developed in forecasting the spread on campuses.. pretty interesting and good for MTU to get so much statewide attention. it's available on the Michigan radio web site.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X