Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Huskies 2020-21: * Our 100th Anniversary * No Catchy Title Needed *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the level of testing, it can be somewhat contained in an individual sport.

With a team sport, the team traveling together, sharing the same spaces (dorms, study, and eating spaces), training, locker room, film study together,... it is going to get complicated. I would think Joe and staff would try to keep the team as isolated as possible, but being a team sport, that is impossible.

Comment

Todd Milewski is saying Tech will be in Madison now Oct 3/4 a Sat/Sun series. And it's a one for one. Makes sense with budget concerns and the close travel. Hosting games at the Resch center vs UW is an option too that I hope they avoid. The ASU games will drop off the schedule that's posted I assume?
      https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...af5c1b77e.html

Comment

Harvard announced last night that they will not be playing any sports until after January 1. Ivy league soon to follow.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Every WCHA team either flies or buses to where they go. Even with masks, that's not gonna keep it out. Doing daily testing is going to be too expensive for most schools. Either you accept the risk — and that's asking unpaid labor to accept a risk that can and has killed people in their age bracket — or you punt. Either option seriously sucks.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            Harvard announced last night that they will not be playing any sports until after January 1. Ivy league soon to follow.
            Any contingent plan for the GLI with Harvard invited this year?

Comment

https://freopp.org/estimating-the-ri...e-630aea3ae5a9

Comment

It's all just a hoax! Let's play hockey!

And even if it does disproportionately affect the elderly, who cares about the large percentage of geriatric fans who sit on the other side of the MacInnes, amiright?

Comment

Not trying to say it's a hoax. The article certainly doesn't say that. It just says that we need to concentrate on protecting the vulnerable population. I'm one of the "elderly" from the other side and if I'm concerned about my health, I'll stay home.
                  Last edited by sk8shtscor; 07-12-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

By the way you can find plenty of 30 year olds who died from the flu too. Life is full of sickness and disease risks.
                    Last edited by sk8shtscor; 07-12-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Yes, but this is deadlier than the flu. I'm fine assuming that the risk for collage age students with around average or better immune systems is virtually zero. That said, the risk of serious physical impact is greater than zero. If the infection is serious (laying sick on the couch for a week or more), they could be out for at least a few weeks to a month or more due to conditioning losses. It also spreads like wildfire. Who is going to want to play against a team where several of their players (assuming the infected ones are not playing) have been confirmed to be infected. The rest could be a few days/weeks behind, but contagious.

This isn't like the flu where you bounce right back in a week or two. This has the potential to put a hurting on someone no matter the age or physical conditioning.

That is a risk the student athletes, administration, and league need to sit down, talk and come to an agreement they are comfortable with.
                      Last edited by Lost_Husky; 07-13-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Simply put: we're talking about (mostly public) institutions that are driven by regular customers that spend lots of money (often financed). Housing dollars? Poof. Maybe remote learning is less expensive, depending on how you do it. (UAH has had that for years — back to VHS TAPES! — but getting equipment for every room and pushing it back to a control center is a non-zero cost.) If you're filming locally, you do still have to heat/cool/condition your buildings. But most of all, colleges buy a lot of risks to bring students on campus and put them in rooms together. If they have lengthy risk waivers, that might save them from the liability exposure. Those waivers won't save them from a public relations nightmare, though.

The Ivies and Mercyhurst are the opening salvo. The question in my mind is when the $EC and B1G conferences pull the plug on their seasons. It would just take outbreaks on teams in Tuscaloosa and Columbus.

Everyone take care. The CCHA sucks.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

St. Thomas is now D-1
                          https://www.stthomas.edu/athletics-f...qAYoiN39QHvk6A

Comment

Article on Jed Pietila and his NAHL career and future playing for Tech

The Recruiting Trail: Bruins' Pietila went from being cut twice to landing at his dream school
                            https://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...s-dream-schoolhttps://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...s-dream-school

Comment

Incoming Class Announced

Cayden Bailey - G
                              Mark Sinclair - G
                              Jed Pietila - D
                              Brett Thorne - D
                              Carson Bantle - F
                              Arvid Caderoth - F
                              Nick Nardella - F
                              Blais Richartz - F

Tech hockey announces incoming class
                              https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20200722jtl04l

Comment

Looks like a good class; goaltending was the biggest question mark going into next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X